How's this idea for the alt-fire of the Deatomizer.

#1Aile_WingPosted 4/23/2010 6:47:32 PM
A while back I was discussing the Deatomizer with Burai (some of you may know him, some of you may not). The main selling point of the Deatomizer is that it can hit someone around a corner. However, I believe that it performs this action rather poorly. Why? First, in order to hit someone around a corner, the weapon must be charged. This takes time, which means that by the time you're ready to fire, your target could have already moved. Second, the damage that is dealt only takes off one fourth of the health bar if it's a body shot. (I'm not sure how much damage is dealt of it's a headshot.) So, with that in mind, I began telling Burai that I think that the Deatomizer should be redesigned. How? Instead of firing a single shot that is propelled in a straight line and a charge shot that can hit someone around a corner, I proposed the idea that the Deatomizer should fire two shot at the same time for the uncharged shot. These two shots would not be fired in a straight line, but rather they would fire, let's say, twenty degrees to the left and right of the crosshairs. When one shot hits a surface, it becomes an anchor, just like how the middle shots of a charged Deatomizer act now. The other shot would be the one that swings around. This would allow someone to fire many shots that swing around a wall in succession. The downside would be that the shots do not fire in a straight line, so positioning the crosshairs to the right of left of a target when not attempting to shoot around a wall would be difficult and/or annoying for unskilled players. There would also be no charge shot.

So, with the talk of alternate firing methods for each weapon, I thought this would be a good one. What are your opinions?
---
Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering.
Hebrew 13:3 (NIV)
#2Kirby_Pwns_AllPosted 4/23/2010 7:33:31 PM
It's an interesting idea, to be sure... I don't see why it wouldn't work as an alternate fire (while keeping the normal one, of course).
#3Aile_Wing(Topic Creator)Posted 4/24/2010 5:12:18 PM
No other opinions?
---
Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering.
#4DarkZV2BetaPosted 4/24/2010 5:31:23 PM
I don't really understand some of it. Does this replace the primary fire or is it a completely secondary fire?
It would work well with a low ROF, maybe even replacing the charge shot, or even just moving the charge over to secondary, but that seems a little bland. I agree with a lot of what you've said about the deatomizer, but I think a little more needs to be done with it.
Maybe make the primary shot gravitate to the nearest wall with a curve of ("effect range" - "distance"), so the closer it is to a wall, the greater the curve. That could lead to some interesting shots.
---
2% of GameFAQs users have this in their signature. If you're one of the 98% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
#5Aile_Wing(Topic Creator)Posted 4/24/2010 6:37:28 PM
Before any mention of alternate firing methods was announced, this was an idea to completely redo the current Deatomizer. I just recently thought that it would be cool as the alt-fire instead.

I was thinking about having the rate of fire the same, but since it fires two shots at once, the ammo is depleted more quickly than with the single shot. And I forgot to mention that the shots would still be able to be rotated via twisting the Wiimote.
---
#6DarkZV2BetaPosted 4/24/2010 6:56:19 PM
But ammo depletion is the least important thing to a player. You can always get more ammo, what's important is getting the frag.
Considering how powerful the deatomizer is with it's charged shot, it would either have to be too weak to be worthwhile, or have a lower rate of fire, else it would be overpowered.
---
2% of GameFAQs users have this in their signature. If you're one of the 98% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
#7Aile_Wing(Topic Creator)Posted 4/24/2010 7:00:28 PM
With the inclusion of a extra ammo perk, I believe it's safe to assume that ammo caches are gone and that each weapon you start out with has less ammo.
---
#8DarkZV2BetaPosted 4/24/2010 7:05:41 PM
Yes, but no matter what the game or style, ammo is never the first thing that should be on anyone's mind. Your score comes first, and if you have to, you can kill a couple people and then let someone kill you to restock your ammo. The only time ammo can ever balance a weapon is if it's ridiculously too low for the game to even be fun anymore.
---
#9Aile_Wing(Topic Creator)Posted 4/24/2010 7:17:31 PM
But remember that this V-shot idea alt-fire would also do a bit less damage than the single shots of the current Deatomizer.
---
#10DarkZV2BetaPosted 4/24/2010 7:22:39 PM
Then there would be next to no point to it. Better to decrease the rate of fire, but increase the damage output.
The primary fire DPS would still be higher, but the secondary shot would be worth every hit you land with it.
---