HVS, Pro tip -- Bug test your game

#41SA_X_Mk_IIPosted 4/29/2010 4:56:37 AM

Rock Paper Scissors, as opposed to Rock Paper Shotgun.

I'm pretty sure a decent sized rock with enough force could bend/smash the shotgun enough for it to no longer be useful, making the triangle the exact same just with a name different...

Just saying...
---
.: Putting the laughter back in "slaughter" :.
.: The best thing you never knew you didn't want. (>^.(>O_O)> :.
#42Sudsy86_Posted 4/29/2010 9:33:33 AM

First of all, people who use the word "cheap" to describe affairs in competition are babies who don't get anywhere (unless they alter the rules, like with some of the BAP'ers)

Blaeu posted...

Think about what we did in Tcon, we banned power weapons and nades. This was done mainly because of how the easily those both could be abused and who ever abused them "best" won the match. By restricting use of these (eliminating) the matches required much more skill to do well in and thus for many, became much more fun. It also helped people hone their skills with individual weapons and they became better players overall.

The only way to win in any circumstance is to exploit something better than someone else's something. You're fortunate people were swayed into thinking it was a better experience than the actual game. Otherwise, you wouldn't have gotten your way and would have just whined more instead of just winning.

Blaeu posted...

I will be playing many public matches as I will want to level up my player (as it seems I have no choice in the game as I'll need to unlock stuff).

Then expect opponents to not waste their time and adapt their desires to make it worth something in the Con2 world.

#43CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 4/29/2010 10:06:10 AM
Blaeu does have a valid point though.

Once you take the competitive play to a certain level, the grenades become the most used weapon.
You can't approach a grenadier because they have the advantage camping near the ammo box.

So what happens is, whoever gets the advantage of the first kill will just sit back and grenade spam, making themselves pretty untouchable. And when I say spam, I don't mean like... just randomly throwing grenades.
If you're good with grenades, you're going to be pretty impossible to approach as long as you have a constant supply.

Grenades, instead of supplementing gameplay, they consume it.
there is no real way to counter it. ( yet )
#44SA_X_Mk_IIPosted 4/30/2010 5:29:59 AM
^
And if this happens in C2, I'll have a 'build' made specifically to rush through 'nade spam... Which will help a lot if you can change your 'class' mid-game (that I seem to remember reading somewhere)
---
.: Putting the laughter back in "slaughter" :.
.: The best thing you never knew you didn't want. (>^.(>O_O)> :.
#45Sudsy86_Posted 4/30/2010 11:14:18 AM

The problem is not the grenades but the cache. That made competition more of a drag on the first. But how is that applicable to the second? In life, you always have to sacrifice some aspects of personal interest for practicality/ greater achievements. It's always been that way in all combat games. If he's trying to make the argument that doing so now is bad because it's sacrifcing pleasure, then it's a baseless argument.

#46Sudsy86_Posted 4/30/2010 11:25:23 AM

The problem is not the grenades but the cache. That made competition more of a drag on the first. But how is that applicable to the second? In life, you always have to sacrifice some aspects of personal interest for practicality/ greater achievements. It's always been that way in all combat games. If he's trying to make the argument that doing so now is bad because it's sacrifcing pleasure, then it's a baseless argument.