Bots?

#11maxfreakPosted 4/28/2010 12:05:36 PM
Ahh aww. Alright, thanks for the clarification :D
---
Looking forward to: Super Mario Galaxy 2, Conduit 2, and Diablo III
#12stufa1978Posted 4/28/2010 2:40:32 PM
So the multiplayer co ops will feature single player style baddies in multiplayer levels?

I thought that's how it would be...cool.

So you'd have conduit sprout up in MP levels churning out all sorts of nasties?
---
Nintendo translates as Leave luck to Heaven.
#13nominsPosted 5/8/2010 10:42:09 AM
bots in multiplayer split screen (since lan hasnt been confirmed) would be a nice addition. they could also help games where it is 3 vs 1.
---
conduitfc=4426-0209-4033
#14psychobrewPosted 5/8/2010 8:25:08 PM

HVSTony posted...
No. Bots are a no go. Too much time for too little payoff.

I mean "yup" to this statement:

"There will, however, be a cooperative gametype that will include enemy AI players that the developers have stated will be sort of like a form of bots, as well as the single player AI being greatly improved"

-Tony

For the first time, I don't fully agree with you. Bots added another dimension to the Battlefield games. The sense of an actual battle from the sheer number of players (bots and humans) put the game on another level. I love the intensity that comes from a chaotic battlefield, where any move could be your last (until your next respawn). My biggest problem with the Wii's online system is the lack of this chaoticness. Bots can be a huge payoff.

#15DarkZV2BetaPosted 5/11/2010 10:58:09 PM
Making player level AI is hugely intimidating for any developer.
Making functional and efficient player level AI is an incredibly difficult task, especially on a system like the Wii.
Making any player level AI work online in a Nintendo WiFi game is damn near impossible, especially that number of AI players.
---
2% of GameFAQs users have this in their signature. If you're one of the 98% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
#16eminydaxPosted 5/12/2010 1:02:09 PM
dunno, the darksims were pretty effective two generations ago. And you could have 8 of them. You could also have up to 4 buddies in 1p co-op. Bots were awesome in battlefield and battlefront even if they were dumb.
Bots definitely can make a difference, especially if you can order them around, place them strategically to protect one spot etc. Co-op buddies also add a special feel (Grinder is said to have that, so why can't TCon2)..

Even one smart bot can be cool. Too bad HVS can't do it.People would love bots.

---
Caveman: "I am your father"
Creationist: "NOOOOOOOOO"
#17DarkZV2BetaPosted 5/12/2010 4:59:27 PM
The PD simulants and TS bots aren't really player level AI, just jacked up enemy AI with level paths. Not on the same level as Unreal.
Also, the n64 had a beast of a CPU, but no RAM and a horrible bottleneck that ruined framerates on the console, so it had a lot of raw power that you couldn't use on polygons anyway.
That's why none GE or PD's weapons were hitscan, but all had realistic bullet speed.

Also, we're talking about online, too. The host has to run all those bots and transfer all the player info on them in addition to running their own game.
---
2% of GameFAQs users have this in their signature. If you're one of the 98% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
#18eminydaxPosted 5/12/2010 5:43:04 PM
That may all be, but I believe no one would complain about jacked up enemy AI with level paths. They just need to be deadly. And the darksims were deadly.
Also, no one would complain about no bots in online.
No one's expecting super-duber lifelike bots that act in unexpected ways. People just want some simple but effective AI bots for 1-3 player matches.

It's just sad that so far, the only FPS game on the wii that sports bots is friggin Monkey Ball..
Anyway the co-op invasion mode is something that could end up awesome. But if this game has no bots and CoD will have offline multi, I probably will get that one first.
I know that we splitscreen lovers are the minority now, but this "ignorance" towards the inclusion of bots is terrible imo.
You're some great devs, why not spend some more hours and give us 1-2 simple bots at leas?. If you're worried about performance why not make it like: 3 players: 1 bot max, 2 players, two bots max etc.?
---
Caveman: "I am your father"
Creationist: "NOOOOOOOOO"
#19psychobrewPosted 5/12/2010 6:00:03 PM

DarkZV2Beta posted...
Making player level AI is hugely intimidating for any developer.
Making functional and efficient player level AI is an incredibly difficult task, especially on a system like the Wii.
Making any player level AI work online in a Nintendo WiFi game is damn near impossible, especially that number of AI players.
---

If a PC game from 2002 can do it fairly well, why shouldn't the Wii be able to do it?

#20BainesPosted 5/13/2010 7:50:53 PM
TimeSplitters bots were truly terrible. Forget that about the only mode where they weren't completely inept was Deathmatch, they weren't even capable of using some of the basic weapons. They completely ignored fireproof status, happily running around trying to use flamethrowers on robot characters. Sticking them with a mine or setting them on fire meant they stopped fighting and instead went into their "I'm gonna die" panic animations. Setting the weapon set to Explosives was entertaining simply to see just how far negative the bots scores could go, due to their constant suicides. In Future Perfect, they pretty much ignore the Baseball Bat, even if it is their default and only weapon. In TS2, they can't use turrets or the camera guns in the Assault map. In TSFP, they can't use the vehicle. Their limited pathing makes them extremely predictable even in Deathmatch, particularly on player-made stages.

Still, it was nice to throw them into matches for fun. Ten bots meant the human players didn't spend three minutes running around a map before they even saw another person, which I've seen happen in other games without a constant radar. And you could set up degenerate challenges where you were more racing to kill bots than each other.

GRAW2 doesn't have deathmatch bots, but it does have story-mode-style regular bots as enemies in Co-op Elimination. That is pretty fun, teaming up with a few friends to face 30 or 45 enemies on a map. It would have been better if you had settings that could improve the enemies more and increase their variety. I'd like to see them using some of the other weapons, not just the same stuff. And randomly having story and mission-mode enemy vehicles appear would also have been good, rather than just having a toggle that added some helicopters to the enemy count. Higher enemy counts might also have been nice, and some more variety in how they acted. Something so that when you can ace a battle, there was still more to the mode.
---
Help is a gift that one must never grow to expect. -- Willow (Witches' Brew by Terry Brooks)