Do maps have a big enough impact on gameplay to...

#1Aile_WingPosted 5/14/2010 10:47:17 AM
In my experience, The Conduit was more of a run-and-gun FPS. Now, there's nothing wrong with that, and I'm certainly not complaining, but I was thinking what if Conduit 2 was more of a tactical shooter? I'm pretty sure this would involve some changes to the core mechanics of the game, which I wouldn't be supportive of, but then I began to think that maybe certain map designs could encourage, or even force tactical gameplay. What do you guys think? Then there could be run-and-gun matches along with strategic matches. But do map designs even have enough influence to actually make tactical matches in Conduit 2 a possibility?
---
Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering.
Hebrew 13:3 (NIV)
#2BlaeuPosted 5/14/2010 11:10:58 AM
Not really. Map design can prevent tactical matches, but even if you attempt to design a map to be "tactical," the mechanics of the game will supersede it. If the weapon selection combined with your amount of life and movement ability allow you to just charge through a "guardable" hallway, then the better "tactic" would be to change in.

The actual play mechanics need to be designed around a tactical shooter before you will even get a public game to play as one.
---
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you
Basically, if you get spanked, turn the other cheek