All objective modes need a re-spawn delay

#1BlaeuPosted 6/14/2010 4:56:10 PM
I've been thinking about objective modes in FPS games lately, and the one thing that always seems to bother me is when there is no re-spawn delay, one side always has an advantage if they are closer to an "objective."

We need to place a value on someones life in any objective mode. By being removed from play for five seconds or so, we achieve that. Instead of being able to sacrifice yourself to stop the other team, then running back and sacrificing yourself again, your death will be penalized and you'll have to wait to spawn.

I know a lot of casual players hate modes where there is any down time, but I find objective modes really start to suck when there is no delay. They can quickly become unbalanced and there is no way to recover from that in public play.

For example, one of my favorite modes from TCon is CtASE. When I'm trying to push into Pentagon, I need to be able to kill someone, and have some time to kill other defenders, get the ASE and get out of there. If you were to have instant spawns, that would be impossible.

Basically, a delay helps balance the mode. I really hope all objective modes have one.
---
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you
Basically, if you get spanked, turn the other cheek
#2SupahShnipaPosted 6/14/2010 5:00:37 PM
Completely agree. I really hate the Insta-Respawn in Call of Duty.
---
MWR Screen Name - Pur1fy | The Conduit Screen Name - Pure | MOH:H2 - Pur1fy
http://www.youtube.com/user/SupahShnipa - COMMENTARIES
#3AlkafrazinPosted 6/14/2010 5:09:33 PM
There will always be an advantage for whoever spawns next to the objective. That's just how it is. A respawn delay will not help that. All it will do is aggrivate people and force them to sit out and watch others play.
Games need less respawn delay. Instant respawn should always be an option. People pay to play these games, not watch them.
#4SupahShnipaPosted 6/14/2010 5:27:28 PM
"A respawn delay will not help that."
???
If you kill someone and grab the flag, then they spawn in front of you, how is that fair? And to the "People pay to play these games, not watch them.", why is that Search and Destroy in COD (You die and don't respawn until the next round) one of and if not THE most popular game mode?
---
MWR Screen Name - Pur1fy | The Conduit Screen Name - Pure | MOH:H2 - Pur1fy
http://www.youtube.com/user/SupahShnipa - COMMENTARIES
#5BrownsM1Posted 6/14/2010 5:47:18 PM
I really don't like respawn delays since I like getting right back into the action but if they do put them in, they need to make a set time limit that will stay the same each time. The first game had a type of respawn delay and it kept glitching up and taking forever to let you repawn or like in MWR on Hardcore TDM where you'd get like a 5 second delay then it would change to like 10 seconds the next time you died.
---
http://marksmanunit.ipbfree.com/
MWReflex FC: 4994-0070-9017
#6AlkafrazinPosted 6/14/2010 6:44:10 PM
If you kill someone and grab the flag, then they spawn in front of you, how is that fair? And to the "People pay to play these games, not watch them.", why is that Search and Destroy in COD (You die and don't respawn until the next round) one of and if not THE most popular game mode?

It's popular because it's a rip off of a very popular game, Counter Strike. It is a total clone of the DE_ map objectives. It is not popular because you have to sit out, but because it is a good gametype where every time you kill someone, you make an impact on the outcome of the game. It's built around that one thing. That doesn't mean you should shove it up the ass of every other gametype.
However, in the case of other gametypes, this is pointless. All it does is force players to stay out of the action. If you capture the enemy flag, they should have every opportunity to take it back.

Also, in CoD hardcore gametypes, they use "wave respawns", which is to say, when you die, you have to wait for the next respawn wave. That's why it varies.
#7Blaeu(Topic Creator)Posted 6/14/2010 6:51:54 PM
However, in the case of other gametypes, this is pointless. All it does is force players to stay out of the action. If you capture the enemy flag, they should have every opportunity to take it back.

I disagree, completely. Sure, it sucks to be sitting out, no one wants to just wait around. The idea of a spawn delay is to balance the game type, not punish the player. Plus, it will be like, five seconds. Boo hoo, I have to wait for five seconds.

A spawn delay allows for much more tactical game play as it makes staying alive much more important. This will also make people focus more on the objective, than kills. Most of the people who play objective game types that hate spawn delays play mainly for the kills anyway. Those people should just stick to TR.

Also, it needs to be a set time. Spawning in waves is stupid.
---
#8AlkafrazinPosted 6/14/2010 6:55:47 PM
I disagree, completely. Sure, it sucks to be sitting out, no one wants to just wait around. The idea of a spawn delay is to balance the game type, not punish the player. Plus, it will be like, five seconds. Boo hoo, I have to wait for five seconds.

5 seconds is 5 seconds too long. You can fix the CTF issue by not placing spawns near the flag. You fight your way in and then fight your way out. That's how it should be. You shouldn't have spawns right around a flag anyway, or near any objective.

A spawn delay allows for much more tactical game play as it makes staying alive much more important. This will also make people focus more on the objective, than kills. Most of the people who play objective game types that hate spawn delays play mainly for the kills anyway. Those people should just stick to TR.

I don't play for the kills. I hate spawn delays. Your statistic is pulled out of your ass. You should put it back where it came.
A limit on the number of spawns per objective completion works better. Longer delay, but at least you're not stuck staring at the screen waiting. You can go and use the toilet, make a sandwitch, have a conversation with your fellow ghosts, ect.

Also, it needs to be a set time. Spawning in waves is stupid.

This I agree with.
#9Blaeu(Topic Creator)Posted 6/14/2010 7:17:36 PM
Haha. Right. >_>

Any competitive player I've played with understands the need to have a re-spawn delay in an objective game. I respect the fact that you do not like waiting to re-spawn, but to attempt to tell me that you can give the same balance to an objective game that a re-spawn delay does by moving the spawns is just foolish.

Being able to spawn instantly makes your life worthless. It strips the game of any sort of tactical attack when the instant you kill someone, they are already on their way back to kill you. Whether you are trying to capture an ASE, prevent that, plant a "bomb," or whatever, there should be a consequence for you dying.

There needs to be a balance between your want to take an objective, and your need to stay alive.
---
#10Sudsy86_Posted 6/14/2010 7:32:52 PM

Not a bad idea. But I don't see the campiness it will produce making the overall experience better. Also, with a max 12 players, someone starting CLOSEST to the objective isn't an unfair advantage. If the player is great, he can do incredible things and escape for a while. Otherwise, you're just going to get 3-4 points and die. It's not a big deal. I'd rather have a small random variable and fast-play than increased "fairness" and people camping a lot in Tcon.