if HVS could use one game...

#1Skizam33Posted 6/17/2010 1:29:54 PM
As inspiration for Conduit 2, what would that be??

I say Half-Life 2 :D Half-Life is the best single player FPS I have ever played. Better than Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, all that. I have to say that I'm pretty sure HVS has played the series because I do get a Conduit vibe playing HL. The human enemies are very reminiscent of each other down to their voices and some of the guns have similar features. Both games use a similar way of using the environment to tell the story: Conduit has the radio and Half-Life has the TV. Half-Life has the Gravity Gin, Conduit has the ASE. However, Valve and HVS's games are worlds apart.

Like Conduit, Half-Life has a lot of closed spaces. The difference is that Valve knows how to make those sections interesting: Instead of shooting baddies around every corner, let's make a room where the player can set up turrets to defend waves of enemies. Let's put some enemy turrets down. Let's make a unique puzzle that we haven't shown before. Let's introduce a brand new enemy. Let's place enemy mines for the player to use himself. Let's give the player an infinite army of giant flying ant monsters... The list goes on and on but he point is, Valve is constantly introducing new ideas to make the same environment interesting. In the Conduit, you shoot bad guys in the same boring hallways and, well, that's pretty much it. There was the ASE but how long can that really hold a player's interest? How fun was that? Conduit 2 can keep the ASE, but let us do some more things with it like the Gravity Gun. Mix n Match gets verrry boring and repetitive after a while. Also, Half-Life's environments are more interesting. There could be a very dark creepy level. There could be a blood-stained room, or the room could be completely wrecked. More importantly, Half-Life gave players a break with vehicle levels and wide open lands to explore sometimes.

I think Conduit 2 would heavily benefit from Valve's ideas and I really hope they've learned a lot from the debacle known as The Conduit.
#2Skizam33(Topic Creator)Posted 6/17/2010 1:50:30 PM
Sorry for the double post but could anyone ask HVS if they have played the Half-Life series? I'm really interested now but I'm not sure how to get their attention... Maybe Tony will click on this post?
#3CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 6/17/2010 2:34:51 PM
Geist.

It was made by another indy dev, like HVS.
And I'd rather they take inspiration from a game that was new and original, than from a game that is the same as everything else :U
#4DarkZV2BetaPosted 6/17/2010 7:26:15 PM
Only one?

Wolfenstein.
---
2% of GameFAQs users have this in their signature. If you're one of the 98% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
#5psychobrewPosted 6/18/2010 5:05:56 PM
It almost looks like the Metroid Prime series was used as inspiration.
#6The_ShaderPosted 6/18/2010 5:39:43 PM
Metal Arms: Glitch in the System
and/or
Turok 2: Seeds of Evil
---
Sparkster returns after 16 years in..... "Rocket Knight"
My Alias for Conduit= "Shader" Monster Hunter Tri= "Deimos"