Evade mechanics?

#1psychobrewPosted 6/18/2010 8:59:12 AM

Does anyone think there's room in this game for evade mechanics such as roll left and roll right? I think with the run and gun style of gameplay, this would add new strategy and could make for more epic battles (at least if lock on is toned down).

#2CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 6/18/2010 9:20:56 AM
People already hate bunny hopping.

There would probably be a riot if you could 'bunny roll'.
#3psychobrewPosted 6/18/2010 9:24:03 AM
Yeah, it's funny. People hate lock-on, but they don't want you to be able to evade either. I would love to see bunny rolling (though repeated bunny rolls should become slower and slower).
#4CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 6/18/2010 9:27:20 AM
No, they just have to make it so that "over roll" a tiny bit.
So that if you roll too many times in succession, you will no longer be lined up with your target.
#5psychobrewPosted 6/18/2010 9:41:35 AM
I'm just saying it would make sense to tie bunny hopping and rolling in to the same energy meeter that gets used up when sprinting. Evade mechanics could also counteract lock-on (your opponent would lose the lock).

Rolling should screw up your aim a little regardless of how many times you do it.
#6Green_TunicPosted 6/18/2010 10:11:51 AM
It was annoying in Perfect Dark Zero. No thanks.
---
Call me Silly_Tunic!!!
http://leakybattery.wordpress.com/ (mah videogame blog)
#7CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 6/18/2010 10:54:31 AM
I'm just saying it would make sense to tie bunny hopping and rolling in to the same energy meeter that gets used up when sprinting.

That definitely would make sense, and wouldn't be a bad idea at all.
BUT, I'm more in favor of, with things like rolling, Letting people keep doing it, but instead making it harder for them to continue.

That way, not only is using it a skill, but using it MORE is a skill as well. It allows it to expand the high-tier skills instead of just having a solid limit that everyone conforms to.

You're limited by your skill, instead of by a meter.

That's the same concept as the weapon decay idea.
#8Green_TunicPosted 6/18/2010 11:07:55 AM
And a lot of people hated the decay system.
---
Call me Silly_Tunic!!!
http://leakybattery.wordpress.com/ (mah videogame blog)
#9CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 6/18/2010 11:20:44 AM
Yet they are loving the Eclipse...
Which is the same concept as well. You're not limited by ammo at all.

The fundamental idea behind it isn't what people disliked about decay, it was the implications on existing guns, and the fact that it was a 'system' that included everything.
#10DarkZV2BetaPosted 6/18/2010 12:53:10 PM
Why not just steal Unreal's double-tap dodge? You could have seperate moves for a side-jump and a back-jump by pressing dash when moving to the side or backwards. That way, the awkwardness of double-tap with an analogue is removed by integrating it with a button that doesn't remove any functionality. Could even be that it's tap when moving slowly/not moving to dodge, which gives a forward dodge opportunity as well, and even gives secondary side and back dodge mechanics.
---
2% of GameFAQs users have this in their signature. If you're one of the 98% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your signature.