Well crap, I totally forgot about the radar...

#1BlaeuPosted 6/18/2010 9:09:34 PM
To me, lock-on was just annoying as it was used as a crutch by the less skilled to do better, nothing game breaking to me. However, radar was just stupid. People shouldn't know where I am at all times, that is stupid. I also do not need to know where the entire other team is.

I was just reminded of this by Tony's post:

"Looking into modes with no lock on or radar"

It would be great to have a mode without radar, but that implies that all standard modes will have radar. This is the first time I have ever questioned my decision to buy this game. Pros and Cons, so far I can deal with everything and have fun, but radar was just lame. It really cut down on the fun factor for me.

At the very least, only have you show up if you fire, sprint, jump, whatever, but I want to be able to at least walk around (not crouch walking) and not appear on radar. At least allow me to flank someone without them knowing I'm doing so as that sort of defeats the purpose.
---
"Paladin's can't use the helm of disintegration."
I hate stupid people... so much.
#2Valdimir_DregaPosted 6/18/2010 9:12:14 PM
There's a stealth suit upgrade ("perk") that prevents you from showing up on the radar while standing and running. I'm not sure about sprinting though.
---
Uncharted 2 Machinima Voice Actor. Currently playing Sully and Lazarevic. Add me on PSN if you want to get involved: Geo_Chronic.
#3Kirby_Pwns_AllPosted 6/18/2010 9:16:10 PM
What's so bad about radar? I think it's much more of a challenge when the other guy sees you coming, and it's also much more satisfying to stealth kill people.
#4Green_TunicPosted 6/18/2010 10:03:14 PM
I loved being all ninja sneaking to other base by crouch walking and waiting for other players to come to me.
---
Call me Silly_Tunic!!!
http://leakybattery.wordpress.com/ (mah videogame blog)
#5DarkZV2BetaPosted 6/18/2010 10:31:46 PM
There are worse things than radar. It works in some gametypes and with some styles, not so much with others. I can see why it would be included online, as you can wind up spending quite a while just looking for something to shoot otherwise, just being totally lost and wondering WTF is going on, while everyone else plays ring around the rosey through the map, spawning wherever you aren't.
---
2% of GameFAQs users have this in their signature. If you're one of the 98% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
#6CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 6/18/2010 11:50:53 PM
I think there should be default radar for the reasons that dark mentioned...

But I was VERY disappointed in the way Tcon went about doing it.

I don't see any reason why people should disappear from your radar when they are not moving.
People definitely shouldn't be on the radar at all times, but having them appear when they are 100 miles away an moving, and disappear when they are 2 feet away, and not moving... just doesn't work.
#7DarkZV2BetaPosted 6/18/2010 11:58:10 PM
Some system of stealth that looks good for the first half-second of thought, before you realise that if the radar shows you whenever you move, people can just assume that you are wherever the radar stopped showing you.

Lends it's self to camping in multifloor areas.
---
2% of GameFAQs users have this in their signature. If you're one of the 98% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
#8CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 6/19/2010 12:04:54 AM
I think what it needs is a layout like geist ( and I'm sure others ) where the radar is disjointed.
You can see in front of you a ways, allowing you to find people. But behind you, the range of radar is Much smaller, small enough to be exploited by a careful attacker.

In addition to that, it would be nice if your range was extended when people fired shots etc. Allowing you to search for the fire fight more effectively, but still allowing people to slip past you.

With this, I think you wouldn't need more radar options aside from that perk in public matches.

Also, radar needs to show weapons, geography, heath packs, etc.
#9The_ShaderPosted 6/19/2010 12:26:56 AM
What's so bad about a motion sensor? And now its range is lowered.... And getting pissed that it not showing the Map, Weapons, or whatever, is just being picky -_-

Theres stuff now to directly counter radar, nough said.
---
Sparkster returns after 16 years in..... "Rocket Knight"
My Alias for Conduit= "Shader" Monster Hunter Tri= "Deimos"
#10CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 6/19/2010 12:35:07 AM
Weapons items and stuff just completes the feel IMO, an element that polishes it up.

And what's so bad about motion detect is that it low skill, high reward. Its effectiveness weighs on the players familiarity with the map, rather than how good they are at shooting.
It has a tenancy to mess with skill gaps in a particularly annoying way.

and whats most annoying about it is... the people who rely on it usually aren't doing that good, they're just getting in your way.