Lock-on has been blown WAY out of proportion.

#1CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 6/26/2010 8:59:14 PM
Ok so... First I'd like to start off with a video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG40O36iXT8
Just a little about that video...
Back in July I decided I wanted to get 100% headshots on the first level of Tcon, this was recorded maybe 5-6 days into it. I uploaded it, not because I did particularly well, but because it showed grenade and melee canceling, which as far as I knew were mostly undiscovered.

Anyway, Hopefully just by looking at the video you can see that lock on is NOT doing the bulk of the work.
That there is a lot of skill involved in landing head shots, and moving between targets, etc.
And that lock on Doesn't, Like people have claimed, Lower the skill needed by 70%-80%, its NOT going to make me lose to a noob, And it does not take away from the need to aim.

Hopefully that's enough to satisfy most of you. but if not, that's Ok. I have more.

After a few days of going for 100% headshots, I came to a realization.

I cannot always rely on lock-on.

In order to get 100%, I'd need to be able to work when lock on doesn't.
This resulted in my playing w/o lock on for... about a week. Single and multi-player.
I discovered something pretty interesting. While my overall accuracy was down, after getting used to it, I was able to pretty consistently do as well as I could with lock on.

The play through you saw in the video, Many times I've done WAY better and gotten a lot better accuracy rates w/o lock on.
In fact, The statistics work out being My highest accuracy rate w/o lock on is within 5% of my highest accuracy rate w/ lock on, and my overall accuracy drops only 15%

At the end of July, life happened, and I stopped playing Tcon, never getting 100% headshots.
But I did make it to 90% accuracy, with 100% of the hits being headshots.

15% is HARDLY game breaking, 5% even less so.
Con2 seems to have a lock on system that does even less.
There are some Pretty valid reasons to argue against lock on, And I am totally open to different ways of resolving them. BUT it seems lock on for many has become a bit of a scape goat.
And, I think people, in debating, get carried away with their own opinon, and making lock on into something its not.
#2Kirby_Pwns_AllPosted 6/26/2010 9:26:48 PM
I think I've actually quoted your title. I completely agree. Also, I've noticed that inevitably, no matter how interesting topics are, they turn into some sort of lock-on debate. It's starting to take over the forums, and it's ridiculous. People can express their opinions, but at least do it in a different thread or something.
#3elheberPosted 6/26/2010 9:28:20 PM
Do you believe the Wii pointer control is better or worse than traditional dual-analog control for FPS games?
---
"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."
I type random stuff in this line if I have something extra to say.
#4Valdimir_DregaPosted 6/26/2010 9:56:08 PM
^Regardless of how he responds, whether or not the pointer is better than dual analogue (and vice-versa) is all based on opinion. You cannot make either a fact, and no one should be labeled a fanboy or anything of the like based on their opinions concerning this issue.

This post is merely meant to moderate things a bit, because I've seen too many people *****ing about this on the GoldenEye boards.
---
Uncharted 2 Machinima Voice Actor. Currently playing Sully and Lazarevic. Add me on PSN if you want to get involved: Geo_Chronic.
#5CHAINMAILLEKID(Topic Creator)Posted 6/26/2010 9:56:44 PM
Do you believe the Wii pointer control is better or worse than traditional dual-analog control for FPS games?

Were you planning to argue that because wii has better controls than dual anolog, that it doesn't need the same aim assist? :p
Firstly, just because wii controls are WAY better than dual analog does not mean the purpose no longer needs to be served.
Secondly, Lock on isn't the same as an aim assist. They are two solutions to different problems.
Dual analog has issues with moving quickly AND precisely.
Wiimote has no problem with precision, but introduces problems with steadiness.
Both still have problems with disorientation, wii slightly more so due to the fact you can move your reticule off screen.

Lock on is a very effective way to deal with these problems, which makes it easier for those new to the controls, but also IMO gives them a much better feel.

Also, because of the way lock on works, As I said in my post, You cannot always rely on it.
So it also give the option for people to play beyond it. If you look closely during my video there are a number of instances where I do not use lock on at all, and a few more cases where I am shooting one or more persons, while being locked onto another.
This is inherently different from aim assist, where its helping you the exact same amount no matter how good you get.

But, I won't say that you don't have a point. I do think lock on does have too much presence, and that both higher skill play, and the overall feel of the game could be improved by reducing it.
#6ZimbabweBobPosted 6/26/2010 10:00:50 PM
the wiimote has zero steadiness issues...if you can't keep it steady it's on you, not the controller.
---
Tuum caput in ano.
MWR FC:4529 2522 5149
#7CHAINMAILLEKID(Topic Creator)Posted 6/26/2010 10:09:53 PM
I've made a number of wiimote vs. Dual analog threads on different forums and other places.
( or should I say Ninty vs. M$ threads :p )

And steadiness is a complaint that comes up often, With analog sticks, if you don't want to move, its as simple as letting go of the analog stick, and it stays where you put it.
Its not the case with wiimote.
Also, if you're playing on a smaller TV, or closer to your tv, your movements are going to be exaggerated.
And, as with all the problems I listed, it is quickly overcome with a little experience.

Out of curiosity, what sensitivity do you have your cursor set at in Tcon?
#8_Kidlat_Posted 6/26/2010 10:12:27 PM
He never played Tcon lol!

and the wii remote has overcompensation issues too
---
Proud Student of the University of Pennsylvania
MWR: 4893-7948-2427 The Conduit: 2836-7869-1737
#9Aile_WingPosted 6/26/2010 10:24:29 PM
He may not have played The Conduit, but he plays Modern Warfare: Reflex, which does not suffer from steadiness issues. At least, in my opinion it doesn't.
---
Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering.
Hebrew 13:3 (NIV)
#10CHAINMAILLEKID(Topic Creator)Posted 6/26/2010 10:35:34 PM
Well... When you want to be able to have a responsive pointer, You're going to have stability issues...