Radar

#1SmallerRidleyPosted 7/5/2010 2:03:03 PM
It's too late to change anything, but how about your radar only working when you're still?

No it's not a thought out idea.
---
Surely there's no problem with them putting me in Brawl, right?
It's ****ing satire, damnit. Probably not even a good idea.
#2UltimateFlame13Posted 7/5/2010 2:09:59 PM
seems to give an advantage to campers. They'll always have their radar to know when other people are coming while players who are actually moving will only be able to see the camper if they stop moving.
---
Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been -Albert Einstein
Wanting: Golden Sun DD, Conduit 2, Starcraft 2, Civ V
#3CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 7/5/2010 2:36:56 PM
I DO NOT like the whole not moving, not seen thing...

What I want the radar to be is...
You can see really far in front of you, but have a very limited view behind you.

The maximum distance ( directly in front of you ) should be... mmm 2/3 the length of the main room in the complex.
The minimum distance ( behind you ) should be about ~15 feet.

And, furthermore, anybody firing shots for an additional... 75 feet past the maximum range should show up at the edge of the radar.

Lastly, The size of dots on the radar should subtly change size dependent on that players altitude.
reducing confusion when you're dealing with multiple levels.

So what we have is a radar that allows you to make sure the room you're going to enter is safe, but still allowing the opportunity for blind spots, even with a fairly large group of people.
so you can still be sneaky and take advantage of people who are careless.

In addition, this boosted range will allow people to find the fighting.
#4CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 7/5/2010 2:41:07 PM
Um, I misread the OP, and kinda jumped the gun with my reply :p

Its not a bad concept...
I really think it could be applied to an idea that integrated sprinting energy, jumping energy, and Regen speed into a single system.

But yeah, You want it to be something that you can use as a tool, without being able to fully rely on it. Which is good.
#57Nobody5Posted 7/5/2010 3:08:48 PM
i kinda like your idea. but i prefer a radar where the enemies(red dots) are barely visible while they are standing still. Then glow while sprinting and then glow brightly while shooting.

in the original game, the radar was broken in multiplayer because when you were crouched or standing still, you would disappear from the radar.
#67Nobody5Posted 7/5/2010 3:12:05 PM
with a little more respect to the main topic, if that idea does come into play then it should be more like
when standing still your radar is CLEAR, but while sprinting, the radar becomes very fuzzy like a furby!
wow....where did that come out from?
#7elheberPosted 7/5/2010 3:24:02 PM
Radar should be (mostly) forward-looking like Chainmail says. I disagree with the range he wants, but forward-looking is the way to go.

Moreover, you should be invisible to radar if you aren't shooting or sprinting. There should be some guns that don't make you show up on the radar, and some perks (like heavy armor) that make you show up if you're moving even without sprinting.
---
"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."
Daos (Doritos and Orange Soda) for Con2 currency name. I support this.
#8UltimateFlame13Posted 7/5/2010 3:34:36 PM
Hmm...just something that I thought of when reading 7nobody5's idea...

This was kind of a quick split second idea so feel free to rip into it for any potential flaws. What if the dots on the radar would regularly blink in and out every few seconds or so? People become visible on the radar for a moment, but then their dots blink away for another few seconds. You won't know their position again until their dot blinks back on your radar, but you can get still a vague idea of where someone was or still is if you were paying attention. This also could give way to a new suit upgrade. One that slightly speeds up the rate of people blinking in on your radar, or just the amount of time they stay on your radar. Allies would always be visible on your radar of course, and the radar would still be restricted to a certain range.
---
Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been -Albert Einstein
Wanting: Golden Sun DD, Conduit 2, Starcraft 2, Civ V
#9CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 7/5/2010 3:38:04 PM
^
I like that.

I don't think the perk would be necessary though unless the time between blips was really slow.