Do you think The Conduit 2 will be HVS' last game?

#1GadZooks1357Posted 7/6/2010 3:57:45 PM
Let's face it: the first game was horribly received by most gamers and critics, ultimately selling incredibly poorly at retail.

Now we have a sequel that looks almost identical to the first. Every video I've seen looks like there's almost no changes to the original's formula: your character still moves at an insultingly slow movement speed, even while sprinting, the lock-on crutch is still present, enemies still don't react to gunshots wounds, and every 'new' element looks ripped straight from Call of Duty (no matter how good Call of Duty might be, Soldier of Fortune did the same thing and that didn't save it from mediocrity).

What's worse, the game was sharing development time with Tournament of Legends, a game getting pounded by critics everywhere, and, until release, will be sharing development time with two different versions of The Grinder (assuming the Wii version is still in development; anyone else disappointed that the top-down shooter gets a trailer and demo this e3 and the Wii version was completely absent? It's just funny since the Wii version was announced first).

I just can't see The Conduit 2 winning over multiplatform gamers who may be buying Halo in the same time frame or, even if you're a Wii-only owner, Call of Duty: Black Ops that will be launching during the holiday. After the success that was Reflex, that's some huge competition, and let's not forget the Goldeneye game coming out as well.

And since most gamers that bought the first Conduit didn't like it, it'll take more than a few tweaks and additions to the same formula to win them back. I hope not a lot of money was poured into this game, because it just doesn't look like there's enough to make it a success, and seeing the number of studios shut down this generation is almost frightening.
#2ddd87Posted 7/6/2010 4:04:30 PM
What they have to do is stop doing games like Iron Man and ToL.
I dont think the conduit did bad, selling more than 300000 copies.
#3Green_TunicPosted 7/6/2010 4:04:43 PM
Assuming. It still is in development. The Wii version couldn't be showed off because their Wiis were busy at the Conduit 2 booth. Also the whole point is to offer something to Wii owners. It's why The Grinder is a top-down-shooter for the HD consoles and first person for Wii.

They're not trying to necessarily trying take away the audience who plays Halo or something because they can play that on a 360 they are trying to give Wii owners a fun, exclusive.
---
Call me Silly_Tunic!!!
http://leakybattery.wordpress.com/ (mah videogame blog)
#4LigersRulePosted 7/6/2010 4:07:48 PM
Let's face it: the first game was horribly received by most gamers and critics, ultimately selling incredibly poorly at retail.

It was a new IP from a small company with a relatively low budget. HVS is extremely pleased with the sales.

Now we have a sequel that looks almost identical to the first. Every video I've seen looks like there's almost no changes to the original's formula: your character still moves at an insultingly slow movement speed, even while sprinting, the lock-on crutch is still present, enemies still don't react to gunshots wounds, and every 'new' element looks ripped straight from Call of Duty (no matter how good Call of Duty might be, Soldier of Fortune did the same thing and that didn't save it from mediocrity).

Maybe you should read up on the game a little bit... Or at least wait for some confirmed details. Like Lock-on. It's confirmed that HVS is "looking into" (XD) modes without Lock-on, and from what we've seen in videos, lock on seems to be much more of a soft lock on. Research, please?

What's worse, the game was sharing development time with Tournament of Legends, a game getting pounded by critics everywhere, and, until release, will be sharing development time with two different versions of The Grinder (assuming the Wii version is still in development; anyone else disappointed that the top-down shooter gets a trailer and demo this e3 and the Wii version was completely absent? It's just funny since the Wii version was announced first).

ToL is out already.... The people working on Grinder and the people working on C2 are completely different people. Also, why is it so important that the Wii version gets another trailer and demo? There was already one last year. It's confirmed that the Wii version is still in production, I believe.

I just can't see The Conduit 2 winning over multiplatform gamers who may be buying Halo in the same time frame or, even if you're a Wii-only owner, Call of Duty: Black Ops that will be launching during the holiday. After the success that was Reflex, that's some huge competition, and let's not forget the Goldeneye game coming out as well.

Some people are tired of CoD games. It's just the same thing over and over again. Black Ops does not look interesting to me, at least. Goldeneye would be huge.... Except that it's not Goldeneye. It's CoD with a Goldeneye skin. It's just a quick cash in.

And since most gamers that bought the first Conduit didn't like it, it'll take more than a few tweaks and additions to the same formula to win them back. I hope not a lot of money was poured into this game, because it just doesn't look like there's enough to make it a success, and seeing the number of studios shut down this generation is almost frightening.

Who said that most gamers that bought TCon didn't like it? I loved it. It was insanely fun. There are also a lot more then a few "tweaks and additions."

Long story short: read up on the game a little more, then come back.
---
"There are two things that are infinite; The Universe and the stupidity of human beings. I'm not sure about the first." -Albert Einstein
#5Valdimir_DregaPosted 7/6/2010 4:12:42 PM
HVS is an indie developer. The production values for C1 were considerably lower due to the fact that it's a Wii exclusive. While it didn't sell amazingly, it sold like many of the B-list PS360 FPS games. The difference is, HVS made good profits because they developed for an SD system, and didn't have to foot the bill for distribution.

C2 might not sell as well as the other titles coming out this holiday season/winter 2010, but, C1 built a decent, almost cult, fanbase, that will already give C2 a solid foundation believe it or not. The only way to go from here is up, in both fan numbers and product quality.

In short, your trollish speculation might have been valid if HVS were developing full blown HD FPS games. The production values are extremely high for those, and they're major risks for indie developers that don't have a loyal fanbase. However, that's not the case. HVS will surely reap some healthy (though not outstanding) profits from both C2 and The Grinder. From there they'd do well to look into a 3DS game, IMO.

Oh and don't forget HVS's residual income from all the little kiddies that love the Dora the Explora game that they developed... ;) every dollar counts. lol.
---
Uncharted 2 Machinima Voice Actor. Currently playing Sully and Lazarevic. Add me on PSN if you want to get involved: Geo_Chronic.
#6DarkZV2BetaPosted 7/6/2010 4:18:51 PM
No. The Grinder will be out after.
/topic
---
2% of GameFAQs users have this in their signature. If you're one of the 98% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
#7UltimateFlame13Posted 7/6/2010 4:28:40 PM

Now we have a sequel that looks almost identical to the first.

I read this far...and now just have one life altering question for you TC.
http://i46.tinypic.com/2hd4f9s.jpg
---
Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been -Albert Einstein
Wanting: Golden Sun DD, Conduit 2, Starcraft 2, Civ V
#8CubsKillCardsPosted 7/6/2010 4:37:48 PM
Im not so sure if ill buy black ops over this, i own a wii and a ps3. Black ops look exactly like MW2 except a different enviroment and helicopters, and the multiplayer is probably going to be the same too. C2 however has more enimies, boss battles, better story, and hopfully a more original online multiplayer. Sure black ops has better graphics and more money poured into it, but i still think C2 would be the better buy.
---
PSN: JFlaha
#9ddd87Posted 7/6/2010 4:42:18 PM
Also the grinder is slowed but still being worked on, not cancelled or anything like that.
#10dacheatcodePosted 7/6/2010 4:46:56 PM
Conduit 2 doesn't even have a release date yet, and they've fixed many problems.

Let me demonstrate:
Sprinting
Sights
Bosses
Split screen co op
Firefight mission-esque things
More guns
More attractive graphics
Secondary fire
Lock-on fixed
Hotfixes which means no more glitchers
Better hacking security
Faster running speed is iminent.
Draw speeds
Weapon functionality
Different routes to complete the mission
Better A.S.E. functionality
Less grenades
Grenades are now set on a timer
No more flashbangs (I think)
TPC launchers PC's now bounce.
Conduit 2.

So yeah, whats that about this game sucking?
---
Brawl FC: 3952-8090-6375
For great justice.