Idea about bringing conduits online

#1UltimateFlame13Posted 7/8/2010 11:49:22 AM
Some people have talked about wanting conduits built into some maps, but I was thinking...why not place your own conduits? I'm not sure how balanced it would be, but it's something I thought would at least be interesting to talk about and discuss.

I'm thinking what if they let you place your own conduits around the map that you can use like a portal. You can only carry 2 at a time and they would be linked together once they're both placed. Anyone can use them including enemies, they only last for a short amount of time before they self destruct (timer starts after the 2 conduits are linked; not after you place the first one), and enemies can destroy them (if one conduit is destroyed the conduit linked to it is also destroyed). Could be useful for maintaining pressure for a short time on an enemies base after you've worked your way into it. They'd have to take the place of your nades. Maybe even a perk too if it would end up being too good of an ability to have. That way there is at least some drawback to having them.
---
Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been -Albert Einstein
Wanting: Golden Sun DD, Conduit 2, Starcraft 2, Civ V
#2metroidfan66Posted 7/8/2010 12:00:16 PM

the only big problem I see: capture the ASE:shock: In that case somebody could put a conduit next to their ASE and sneak into the enemy base and do the same and just go through the conduits. Which could be halfsolved by making it so ASEs can't pass through conduits, but then you could still get a ton of people into the other base way too easily. Then youd have a almos guarunteedASE capture if you manageto sneak everybody into the enemy baseusing conduits:?

#3UltimateFlame13(Topic Creator)Posted 7/8/2010 12:08:48 PM

the only big problem I see: capture the ASE:shock: In that case somebody could put a conduit next to their ASE and sneak into the enemy base and do the same and just go through the conduits. Which could be halfsolved by making it so ASEs can't pass through conduits, but then you could still get a ton of people into the other base way too easily. Then youd have a almos guarunteedASE capture if you manageto sneak everybody into the enemy baseusing conduits:?

That's true. The other team could respond by sending a few people through the conduit themselves to take the other ASE and to have a few people waiting to kill the person that took their ASE. That would kind of negate any benefit of using a conduit really close to your enemies ASE. Maybe having it so if the person who placed the conduits dies it would also destroy their conduits would help a little too. It could make capture the ase a little hectic and possibly broken though, so I see what you're saying.
---
Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been -Albert Einstein
#4coolman229Posted 7/8/2010 12:15:06 PM
Or they could make it so that Conduits can't be used in Capture the ASE. I think it would be cool to be able to set how long Conduits will last before the match.

You could also have a selection to have preplaced Conduits.

It would open up a lot of cool multiplayer and machinima possibilities if you could set your own conduits.
---
We're glad we won you over to the fight for the earth.
Currently playing: Cave Story, Majora's Mask (VC), Brawl (still), Mega Man 9, Okami
#5frogloePosted 7/8/2010 12:19:42 PM
^^ Yes but remember that these Conduits can be broken and are temporary. What you suggest would take a well hidden Conduit to be successful.
#6tconslayerPosted 7/8/2010 12:25:05 PM

I like the idea because it can help with stratagy it can link to a good sniping spot only it should b one person has a conduit and their teamate has the other that way they need to work together only prob with that what if its one on one

#7UltimateFlame13(Topic Creator)Posted 7/8/2010 12:28:46 PM

Or they could make it so that Conduits can't be used in Capture the ASE

Yeah thats a pretty simple and good fix

I like the idea because it can help with stratagy it can link to a good sniping spot only it should b one person has a conduit and their teamate has the other that way they need to work together only prob with that what if its one on one

If you do that then its a lot harder to get the conduits to link up the way you want them to. If 4 people are trying to lay conduits at the same time there's no real way to say which will go where and it really loses its usefulness.
---
#8metroidfan66Posted 7/8/2010 12:35:38 PM
frogloe posted...
^^ Yes but remember that these Conduits can be broken and are temporary. What you suggest would take a well hidden Conduit to be successful.

What if you have several people go into the conduit before anybody notices, which is very possible if you find some way to plan that out. And if they DIDN'T solve the problem of ASEs being taken through conduits, that would still be an issue. D:
#9tconslayerPosted 7/8/2010 12:39:02 PM

well you can have a two conduit limit per team that way it doesnt happen and they link to their own teams conduits

#10UltimateFlame13(Topic Creator)Posted 7/8/2010 12:39:56 PM

What if you have several people go into the conduit before anybody notices, which is very possible if you find some way to plan that out. And if they DIDN'T solve the problem of ASEs being taken through conduits, that would still be an issue. D:

oh! new idea. What if they had a start-up time? Like a few seconds before they fully activate. That way it gives your enemies more time to handle the situation and destroy it. If its placed right in the ASE room and they don't even when it has a start-up timer then they probably aren't defending well :\
---