The Invader (HVS_Tony, take a looksee)

#1MrFigsworthPosted 7/31/2010 9:56:17 PM
Easily one of the most impressive and at the same time most disappointing aspects of Conduit was this so called "boss" drudge. Now, HVS has heard the reviews and the comments pointing out how these crustaceans were a big disappointment. I have to agree. When I first saw it, I was like oh crap I'm gonna die, but then was like oh wow this is easy. Now, the Invader, design wise and in appearance was really cool. I would hate to see it thrown away due to a bit of flimsy AI programing. Now that we actually have boss fights, the Invader can play a more suitable roll towards being the tank of the drudge forces.

However I wanted to cast out some ideas as to how to make it better in terms of a fun fight to participate in rather then just standing far away and waiting till it died. While it does release those flying bug things, I think the creature itself should be given more challenging AI. It did fire shrieker munitions, which was cool...but it didn't do it often. I also know that if you were close it would rear back and impale you with its claws.

Ideas I had towards improving it as a thing to fight would go along these lines. Instead of having it walk around in circles, get it to walk towards the player constantly, that way there is a continued risk of getting trampled. Give it some kind of ram attack, as well as an adaptive AI that when it sees its little flies getting toasted, the Invader will resort to firing shrieker blasts more often as it advances on you.

Something like the invader could also be equiped with strike riffle type weaponry, allowing the creature to climb (as seen in game) atop structures and try to snipe down at the player. A counter to this might be to attack its leg a lot to get it to fall, or use a smaw round to knock it off balance.

Now then, I also say that since the Invader is a basic unit, it should be added to Team Invasion mode to add some spice. I might not have nailed everything, but I'm sure there are those out there that might want to chip in their thoughts. So cast out your ideas, let's see what you got.
#2gaby2107Posted 8/1/2010 2:28:21 AM
Maybe the invader could spawn Therm-Mites. THAT would be...interestingly hard
#3ddd87Posted 8/1/2010 4:47:30 AM
I agree with everything you said.
#4Simok123Posted 8/1/2010 6:12:02 AM
yeah i hope they bring it back some way.....
---
CONDUIT MASTA!
#5ghost_of_a_manPosted 8/1/2010 12:42:11 PM
It would be cool to be able to fight them in the later levels of team invasion.
---
Daos (Doritos and Orange Soda) for Con2 currency name. I support this.
#6incognito3Posted 8/1/2010 1:23:44 PM
I agree with everything thus far. But i noticed how you called it a tank like unit for the drudge, so shouldnt some drones be able to hop on and blast us with the SR?

just a suggestion.
---
Supporter of Daos for Con of duty 2!MH3 is FTM (For the...meh)!TPC and SMAW is win.
Call me Incognito(3), Martian, Pwnage, or THE ranter, if you would please.
#7ideandaruizPosted 8/1/2010 3:16:55 PM

it should have better armor because the yellow weak spots where you had to shoot where huge

#8MrFigsworth(Topic Creator)Posted 8/1/2010 7:45:05 PM
I see some good stuff here and think those who have posted here are on the right track. And interestingly enough I thought about drudge hopping on the thing, maybe the invader could act as a troop transport. I doubt that it is piloted as it is a living creature, but there are probably a few ways for troops to hitch a ride. That brings me to an idea for a level since we end up going back to DC in the game. Perhaps Invaders could be stalking the streets, and if you get spotted, add more of a MGS quality to it and as the Invader pursues you, it notifies drudge in the vicinity that you are there, and that way you have to deal with not just small enemies being spawned but drones popping up to aid the invader.

Or it just radios or roars for back up and eventually it arrives. If enough work could be put into them they could graduate from road block to mini-boss/mid-boss. They would be annoying and challenging and thus more acceptable as something to have in the game to give the player some meat to chew on while playing.

So any more takers for this topic?
#9dacheatcodePosted 8/2/2010 5:11:42 PM
It was a disappointment, a very, INVADING disappointment.

knotknotknotknot

---
Are you really that impatient? What do you do during load screens? Find your mom and punch her in the throat? ~Coolbeansavi
#10ddd87Posted 8/2/2010 5:18:55 PM
I was thinking about having other types of Invader:

I can see a highly specialized Invader converted into a Drudge Carrier, bigger with huge wings or some other kind of propeller to transport troops (when conduits are not available)

And also having Young or Larva Invader as a more compact unit.