Let's talk about how driving usually sucks in FPS and should stay out!!!

#1Blk_Mage_CtypePosted 8/6/2010 1:54:47 PM
Sorry, but when people start talking about vehicles in FPS games, I get annoyed...

In the majority of FPS games with drivable vehicles have terrible controls and are overall just a distracting gimmick.
Nothing brings down a good FPS like an intrusive driving stage with clunky, slippery, unresponsive, and confusing controls.

So please, can we just spare Conduit 2 of that indignity?
There hasn't been a single FPS in history that's actually had vehicles that were actually enjoyable to drive, so lets not even go there...

FPS = First Person Shooter
Not Third Person Driving Game With Bad Controls Where You Shoot Stuff.

If HVS wants to include vehicles that don't force you to drive them, then fine.
If HVS wants to have sort of on-rails driving levels where all you do is man the gun turrets or shoot out the window, then that's also fine.

But I've yet to play a single FPS that had a vehicles with good controls that weren't forced on the player.
---
I imagine Bethesda's Quality Testing Department a big, dusty room filled with cobwebs, and a chimp wearing a Fez banging on the keyboard of a single computer...
#2Simok123Posted 8/6/2010 2:02:07 PM
halo has good one >_> but wat ever yeah i guess your right....but maybe vehicles n melee weapons in C3 :3 if they do it right.
---
CONDUIT MASTA!
#3RyokoWinsPosted 8/6/2010 2:05:48 PM
That's your opinion. I like driving the warthog more than anything else in Halo. I'm disappointed if I get less than ten wheelman medals in multiplayer. However, I think balancing could turn into a serious issue, so I'd be okay if there were no vehicles with weapons on them. First and foremost I want the on foot combat to be perfected. Vehicles come only after they have that right.
---
I appologize for whatever I just said.
Currently playing: Nothing. I'm bored of all my games. I'M GOING INSANE
#4TurboweaslePosted 8/6/2010 2:06:35 PM
CoD:WaW does a pretty decent job of balancing the presence of tanks with the rest of the online features.

Sure, going against a tank head-on is a bad idea, but it can be take care of with two bazooka rounds and a sticky 'nade (with the Fireworks perk, mind you). Really, it's not as bad as you seem to think it is. Besides, I doubt a Wii game will have fully-usable vehicles in an online game any time soon.
---
"And I also told the students that, for the sake of humanity's future, I hoped they were all sterile." -Ignatius Reilly
#5Darkblade853Posted 8/6/2010 2:13:45 PM
the halo games nailed the integration of FPS with vehicles, so if HVS can do it, i'm down for it. I loved using a ghost or warthog to splatter my enemies, it was fun!
#6Blk_Mage_Ctype(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2010 2:17:57 PM
The Warthog was among the best controlled vehicles in an FPS, and it they never forced you to drive one.

I'm talking about stuff like the Mako in Mass Effect, (not an FPS, I know) that car in HAZE, the Helicopter in Bad Company, stuff like that...

Optional vehicles like the Warthog are okay, as well as on-rails driving sequences, I just don't want to be forced into driving a vehicle.
---
I imagine Bethesda's Quality Testing Department a big, dusty room filled with cobwebs, and a chimp wearing a Fez banging on the keyboard of a single computer...
#7RyokoWinsPosted 8/6/2010 2:22:49 PM
There were times in the Halo series when you were forced to use a warthog, but that's not the point. The fact that there's a few good examples could lead HVS to do it right. If vehicles are confirmed, I'm going to be optimistic until the reviews come out. :)
---
#8tconslayerPosted 8/6/2010 2:25:28 PM

ok well some vehicles are halo did a good job now for like conduit i think it should just be like the nunchuck controlling the vehicle

#9RyokoWinsPosted 8/6/2010 2:27:26 PM
Hmm...I never thought about that. How would they control? I think the pointer could make it difficult to make sharp, precise turns.
---
#10Blk_Mage_Ctype(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2010 2:28:59 PM
There were times in the Halo series when you were forced to use a warthog, but that's not the point. The fact that there's a few good examples could lead HVS to do it right. If vehicles are confirmed, I'm going to be optimistic until the reviews come out. :)

That was only at the very end of Halo 3, and to be honest, I didn't even notice it was forced because when a placing is blowing up, you don't try to escape on foot. LOL
---