Featureitis, You're all infected!

#1CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 8/6/2010 11:31:43 PM
Is there anything wrong with a fun game that only does a few things?

This is honestly why I cannot stand most modern shooters, and one of the main reasons I enjoyed the first.
Its like you guys want this to be every shooter experience All at once.

I don't want everything, I just want The Conduit.
#2Fluxy1223Posted 8/6/2010 11:36:23 PM
Yes because if it only does a few things, people will say that it is lacking in content.
---
I think too much, and not in a smart way.....
Daos (Doritos and Orange Soda) for Con2 currency name.
#3SupahShnipaPosted 8/7/2010 1:49:40 PM
They claim it's the "Definitive Wii FPS".
That's a lie if they cannot have at least the staple features of modern FPS games *cough*Party System*Cough*

I'm not a fan of a game overloaded with features, but I do expect the basics to be there.
---
MWR Screen Name - Pur1fy | The Conduit Screen Name - Pure | MOH:H2 - Pur1fy
http://www.youtube.com/user/SupahShnipa - COMMENTARIES
#4SmallerRidleyPosted 8/7/2010 1:56:56 PM
You can strip it down if you want a basic experience. Just privates/splitscreen only.
---
Surely there's no problem with them putting me in Brawl, right?
It's ****ing satire, damnit. My quote rocks your socks.
#5CHAINMAILLEKID(Topic Creator)Posted 8/7/2010 11:46:56 PM
Lol, don't make a topic when you're going to be busy all day :p

"staple features of modern FPS games *cough*Party System*Cough*"
I really don't get what the party system does... Just keep you and your friends on the same team?

I'm talking more things like... Vehicles. Or when people say it HAS to have a REAL sniper.
Or even to say it has to have melee.
When is the last time you played a shooter without melee? I'm not saying it shouldn't have melee, but that not having it does a lot to the game. and its something I wouldn't mind seeing again on a modern shooter.

I'm just saying... The perfect game isn't the one that has all the features. You can't always say "it would be EVEN BETTER if they included _____"

Also, I don't think that just because the feature is expected, or standard in a modern shooter is a good enough reason to include it.
I don't really care how many shooters have bots, or map editors. HVS isn't making Those games, they are making THIS game.

Right now its like shooters are trying to make it so people who like to snipe can snipe, and people who like to camp can camp etc. "If we can just include everything, we can please everybody :D"
But I think more along the lines of... If you make they game do ITS thing well enough, people will enjoy it no matter what their preferences might otherwise be. And the result will be a game that is definitive in its experience. and IMO, that is really what makes a game good.

I don't think I'm saying anything that anybody really disagrees with. I'm just trying to keep people a little more grounded here.
#6Green_TunicPosted 8/8/2010 12:17:45 AM
Again it's supposedly the definitive game. Definitive meaning that it provides everything a shooter should have. If it can't even meet the standards of a modern shooter then it's an undeserved title. Even then standards are there because they're the basis of what something should at its most basic form should have. If Conduit 2 doesn't have that then it means it's lacking.

Luckily for me I don't really think bots, vehicles, or map editors are standards for modern shooters. At least for console shooters. Many games these days don't have these. But it sure would be nice to have such things.

A party system though is almost necessary. If you want a thriving team-based online community then clans are healthy sources of such a thing. A clan can never really represent itself if they're not consistently playing together.
---
Call me Silly_Tunic!!!
http://leakybattery.wordpress.com/ (mah videogame blog)
#7ddd87Posted 8/8/2010 7:28:33 AM
Its true, even tony say c2 online is the best among the current titles and those to be released.
Prove it hvs!
#8ElniguelPosted 8/8/2010 11:08:37 AM
I completely agree, tc. One of the reasons I loved conduit was it was so basic compared to games like cod 6, where there are tons of guns and perks but it doesn't matter because everyone uses the same ones anyway. Its ridiculous. Although I would love some new stuff, I'm kinda scared they'll vastly overdo it and put in all sorts of ridiculous things that no one will use anyway.

But I have faith in HVS. TCON FO LIFE YO
---
Hey, its true...
#9Sudsy86_Posted 8/8/2010 11:39:34 AM

The problem is people are not intuitive or aware of their own preference and they assume that more must be better--which it is not. In general, more ultimately means different. That is, gameplay is different. You don't usually enhance something by adding something to the formula which makes people play differently. If people think adding vehicles makes it "better", I have no idea what they're talking about. The same with classes/ perks. If you like being restricted to what they force, have fun.

Like with anything--a show, an album, a painting--a specific idea has to be present and all the pieces have to work towards that idea. If you're being told you should add something but it changes the results of its purpose, you're lessening the game.

Battlefield is a game based on vastness. Adding more to it works, because that's what the game is about. But, what they do have is done well.

Tcon is a simple, futuristic shooter. The reason it's simple is because of wii limitations. You have to go with simple if you're going to take on a wii project. Adding stuff is just changing how the game will be played.

Also, being the definitive game on the wii has nothing to do with being like other games. You obviously don't define anything when you mimic something. You have a better chance while doing something different. Which it is apparently notdoing.

#10Green_TunicPosted 8/9/2010 12:43:21 PM
But these are standards mind you. A platformer needs to obviously have jumping, a stealth game needs sneaking, and to for the modern shooter there are also features that are necessary. It's not mimicry it's just meeting a certain quota a game needs to reach.

The problem is that every gamer has certain standards for certain genres. Some just have higher standards for games. A game may be fine for some but also lacking to others.
---
Call me Silly_Tunic!!!
http://leakybattery.wordpress.com/ (mah videogame blog)