Just got Red Steel 2...

#1CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 8/19/2010 10:44:07 PM
Man, I don't like it at all.

Just makes me want to play Tcon.

I mean, for everything Tcon got wrong.... they got SOOOOOO much right.
Red steel, 90% of the game is watching overly fancy doors open.
The controls? Yeah, they're pretty bad.

The lock on? Well, its way worse than what's in Tcon, its automatic.
And they have Aim assist on top of that. If there is an enemy you can kill by shooting... well, its ridiculously easy to get headshots from across the level.

The way your character moves.... You glide. at least in Tcon it actually feels like you're walking.

and lastly, Yes, Tcon was rather glitchy. But really, almost all the glitches were player exploits in multiplayer. With red steel, and red steel 2, glitches are to be found in the main game. I don't mean glitches you find, I mean glitches that happen to you.
Red Steel was notorious for causing the system to freeze. and many other things.
I wasn't playing the second half an hour before I fell off the map and had to restart the level.

Playing this has just restored my confidence in Con2 to a new high. Not only that it will be good, but that it will have a chance to really succeed. Its obvious to me why Red Steel sold so badly.
All you do is follow on screen prompts. You have to hit people in sequence, there is a 'right' and 'wrong' way to attack each different type of enemy. And actual combat is few and far between.

Tcon... It just had to be released before it was ready. But there is enough there to show that HVS is more than capable of quality.
#2donkeypunch1116Posted 8/19/2010 11:17:34 PM
the first hour of rs2 is boring as hell. it gets pretty good after that. how far are you in?

---
convenience store clerk- "hey buddy, you gonna pay for all that stuff?!"
me- "looking into it." *walks out the door*
#3CHAINMAILLEKID(Topic Creator)Posted 8/19/2010 11:23:55 PM
About three and a half hours in.

Just opened the water garden gate, got to the whatchamaplace, and found out that I was the last... Whatever I am.

Got all the upgrades I can at this point as well.
#4donkeypunch1116Posted 8/19/2010 11:52:35 PM
ah well, different strokes for different folks i guess. i liked the game quite a bit, but i could see where some people would be turned off by it...

---
convenience store clerk- "hey buddy, you gonna pay for all that stuff?!"
me- "looking into it." *walks out the door*
#5CHAINMAILLEKID(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2010 12:39:19 AM
Well, what I don't like about it is more the way its done, than the quality of it.

For the purpose of this thread, I just wanted to use Red Steel 2 ( which is considered a reasonably well made game ) as a baseline to point out a few places where Tcon excelled.

I don't mean to rag on Red Steel at all, or say it doesn't deserve the scores it got, etc.
#6psychobrewPosted 8/20/2010 5:51:03 AM

donkeypunch1116 posted...
the first hour of rs2 is boring as hell. it gets pretty good after that. how far are you in?

Maybe I should give it a second chance then, but as it stands I have no idea how this game was rated higher than The Conduit in reviews.

#7bladester15Posted 8/20/2010 7:21:35 AM
wow, I totally loved Red Steel 2, although it could've used some multiplayer or something more in the single player mode. Like maybe there could be more swords( like a long sword, short sword, great sword etc.) I also thought the controls worked really well too.Oh, and I never had any glitches or anything that made me restart the levels.
---
Country+rap=crap.
Chuck Norris's tears can cure cancer.....too bad he's never cried.
#8Lemjor10Posted 8/20/2010 7:28:53 AM
I just bought Red Steel 2 as well It's fun! only I feel like this game could of been better if it had a Higher rating.
---
The Omega Metroid of the Metroid:Other M Boards.
#9LazzyIyePosted 8/20/2010 1:17:05 PM
Yeah you got a crappy copy of red steel 2 and you just haven't played enough. I haven't encountered any of those glitches that you speak of so...In terms of controls, Red Steel 2 feels much smoother than the Conduit and thats just the shooting controls. The Conduit did much more wrong than did it right. Why do you think Conduit 2 looks sooooo much better than the original?
#10MC_Brian1Posted 8/20/2010 1:27:58 PM
The controls? Yeah, they're pretty bad.

Are you God damned ****ing nuts?

Also, of course it has lock on! The game would be unplayable without it! Also, what are you talking about, combat is few and far between? The entire game is combat. You walk a bit, then fight. Then walk some more, then fight. You can't be serious when you say that. Another thing, what glitches? I never experienced one.

I love Red Steel 2, because it is a flawed game, but the fact that it's incredibly large amounts of fun makes me not care. At the very least, it stomps on TehC, because it has better gameplay, better graphics, and it's infinitely more fun. All TehC has on it is replay value due to a multiplayer which, might I add, may or may not be fun. I love TehC but you're beating up on the game for reasons that are just... wrong.

You're assuming Red Steel 2 is supposed to be an FPS like The Conduit, when it isn't. It's a beat em up in the first person, it's more of a first person slasher. The guns are a secondary element to the game and are rarely required. I only use them for personal style and because ninjas piss me off so I SMG spray them.

You have to hit people in sequence, there is a 'right' and 'wrong' way to attack each different type of enemy

wat
---
no wonder fox's father died... dumbass was wearing shades in space - gameheadache