If Conduit 2 is successful...is there a chance The Grinder won't be canned?

#1Jakester12621Posted 9/5/2010 9:44:54 PM
I'm sure most of us here know of HVS' other project "The Grinder" which we haven't heard from in a while...especially the Wii version...As the Wii version still retains as an fps using the same engine as Conduit 2...

Supposedly because of company lay offs and a lack of publisher, The Grinder may be canned T_T
That would be ever so saddening for that game looks so awesome and it's something the Wii NEEDS...

So I was wondering what everyone's thoughts on this was. If Conduit 2 is successful could HVS still have a shot of finishing The Grinder? Could SEGA possibly publish once again? I know they say they don't want to publish M rated games on the Wii but just WHAT IF Conduit 2 is successful? Could that alone save The Grinder? I really hope so. If Conduit 2 can shape up to be the kiler app shooter on the Wii that the original intended for, could we might just get The Grinder?
#2psychobrewPosted 9/5/2010 10:20:33 PM
This is just my theory, but if a publisher sees Conduit 2 do well, HVS will have no problem finding a publisher for The Grinder. If Conduit 2 doesn't sell, publishers will shy away from it and the game could be cancelled.
#3BainesPosted 9/5/2010 11:34:30 PM
Sadly, I think The Grinder would have had better sales potential than Conduit 2, if it ever could have found a publisher.

While Conduit 2 has an existing fan base, it also has plenty of baggage. It also has competition these days. The Grinder is just different enough from what else is available on the Wii to have some popularity, and its improvements would have likely have looked even better coming off of the disappointment that was The Conduit.

I still feel that the odds of The Grinder ever seeing release are low. Even if sales of The Conduit were considered good enough by Sega, it doesn't look like Sega has wanted The Grinder. Conduit 2 might need to be some kind of break out hit to get Sega to rethink their policies. The same goes more so for other publishers, who might not have been as satisfied with The Conduit's performance as Sega was. It certainly looks like other publishers haven't been jumping at the chance to publish a non-Conduit HVS FPS.
---
Help is a gift that one must never grow to expect. -- Willow (Witches' Brew by Terry Brooks)
#4ddd87Posted 9/6/2010 6:40:30 AM
Sega won't publish a M rated game for the wii again. This kind of games REALLY needs advs to sell ok on the system.
#5mode333Posted 9/6/2010 11:31:49 PM
....THE GRINDER ISN'T CANNED!

it's not coming out till halloween next year...that's far away.
they're focusing on Conduit 2 right now and probably having a small group work on the grinder quietly...then once conduit 2 has been out for 3-4 months, the spotlight will be on the grinder.

just because you don't hear nothing, doesn't mean you should assume it's gone.

EXAMPLE: the TV show futurama went quiet for 7 years and now making a comeback with new episodes. now it won't be quiet for nearly as long, but you get my point.
---
Ps3/Wii owner
PSN: mode334
#6ammartin08Posted 9/7/2010 12:16:24 AM

EXAMPLE: the TV show futurama went quiet for 7 years and now making a comeback with new episodes. now it won't be quiet for nearly as long, but you get my point.

But... Futurama did get canned. In it's prime. And it didn't go quiet, because there was a very vocal fanbase, and a good amount of syndication, and four straight-to-DVD movies, and four volumes of DVDs with solid sales....

It was an established television show that got canceled because the Fox network is dumb, whereas the Grinder is a brand new IP from a fairly small developer, presumably searching for someone to publish it on faith that it'll sell well on a system with no established base for that particular gametype...

a long-winded way of saying, I don't think that's a very good comparison.
---
PSN - scrumtrelescent7
"get lost you nub" -Richitu
#7BainesPosted 9/7/2010 1:24:54 AM
Animales de la Muerte hasn't technically been canceled. That doesn't mean it will ever see release. After all, it is too big for WiiWare (ruling out direct publishing by HVS), has no other company that desires to publish it on a disc, and (according to an interview) HVS isn't working on it in anything more than their spare time if even that much.

The Grinder doesn't have a publisher. Sega supposedly refuses to publish it due to its planned rating. HVS apparently hasn't found anyone else interested it publishing it. The Grinder has been back-burnered while HVS works on other projects. Conduit 2 is in a position to define how people see HVS for the next few years, for better or for worse.

It isn't so much that a success with Conduit 2 will prevent Grinder from being canned, but rather that a failure with Conduit 2 may force Grinder to be canceled, or to keep it in development limbo.
---
Help is a gift that one must never grow to expect. -- Willow (Witches' Brew by Terry Brooks)
#8dacheatcodePosted 9/7/2010 1:29:57 PM
EXAMPLE: the TV show futurama went quiet for 7 years and now making a comeback with new episodes that suck

Fixed.
---
If that thing is a Big Book, HE MUST BE A ****IN' GIANT! Run! ~Penn and Teller
#9ammartin08Posted 9/7/2010 1:46:29 PM

EXAMPLE: the TV show futurama went quiet for 7 years and now making a comeback with new episodes that suck

The first new episodes did suck, which I cried over for weeks, but the last three or four episodes actually made me think that, given time, Futurama could find its former glory.
---
PSN - scrumtrelescent7
"get lost you nub" -Richitu