Just played Halo reach for the first time

#21MC_Brian1Posted 9/18/2010 9:37:55 PM
Halo Reach would be better if most of the maps didn't suck.

I can't believe you'd say this. The only map that sucks is The Cage, and Blood Gulch. I don't know why everyone **** rides Blood Gulch, it's ****ing horrid. The maps are pretty good though, NOTHING even comes close to the sheer failure of Halo 3's launch maps. It had 3 good maps, Guardian, The Pit, and Construct. That was it. Oh and Valhalla was fun for big team battle.

Reach is awesome, the Forge World is incredible. I also never experienced a problem with the voting system. I have literally not played one game of Team Snipers. I played maybe 3 or 4 SWAT games. Slayer Pro is the best gametype though, don't know why you'd complain about that. Besides, Halo is all about objective playing, and people have varied tastes, so it's always a fresh game.

I love Reach, and it made me a fan. I doubt I'll play anything else for a long time. I can wait for this game now, lol.
---
ammy- dog, not interested in, i dont like playing as dogs looks like a joke character, what is this dogz ds? - whitemogs on Amaterasu in MvC3
#22XImperialDragonPosted 9/19/2010 8:04:22 PM

I can't believe you'd say this. The only map that sucks is The Cage, and Blood Gulch. I don't know why everyone **** rides Blood Gulch, it's ****ing horrid. The maps are pretty good though, NOTHING even comes close to the sheer failure of Halo 3's launch maps. It had 3 good maps, Guardian, The Pit, and Construct. That was it. Oh and Valhalla was fun for big team battle.

Reach is awesome, the Forge World is incredible. I also never experienced a problem with the voting system. I have literally not played one game of Team Snipers. I played maybe 3 or 4 SWAT games. Slayer Pro is the best gametype though, don't know why you'd complain about that. Besides, Halo is all about objective playing, and people have varied tastes, so it's always a fresh game.

I love Reach, and it made me a fan. I doubt I'll play anything else for a long time. I can wait for this game now, lol.

Yeah, Zealot would be amazing if it wasn't for an indomitable camping spot at the top of the map (in the space region). Have you ever had a couple of people up there during Team Doubles? You can't get them out of there. They can hide up there with DMRs, listen for the distinct sound made by you coming up the lift (the only non-jetpack way up there) and kill you while you hang in the air for a significant period of time thanks to the low gravity, not able to move your character at all. Know what that results in? A quick and easy 5-shot for them. That map is objectively broken if someone knows about the camping spot that's incredibly easy to get to. Don't even get me started on SWAT on Zealot.

The Spire? In any objective game you're pretty much forced to pick the Jetpack ability if you have to go up the tower. Why is this? Because the orange "landing points" make you hang in the air, and make killing you with you not being able to move, suspended in the air a very simple task. You have to use the jetpack down just to not commit suicide or be a sitting duck for a couple seconds (long enough to be killed by a Banshee. Or Hornet. Or Scorpion (dear God a Scorpion). Or Wraith. Etc.).

In the words of Yusuke Urameshi: "Funny thing about hanging in the air... It makes it really hard to dodge" Oddly, that seems to be a big problem with a couple of new maps. For the, "Extended testing" Bungie did, they didn't do a very good job, IMO. If they would have, then they would have noticed the next problem:

The horrible spawns that make spawn-killing a quick-and-easy task on The Cage, Hemorrhage, Asylum, and more. Team Snipers on The Cage is like shooting ducks in a barrel; If you spawn in the enemy team spawns in the upper portion of the map, you've got to take it if they're knowledgeable of the spawns, otherwise look forward to being headshot without being able to take a damn step for the remainder of the match. Hemorrhage? A Scorpion parked itself in front of our base (far back enough to see the spawns on each side. Why the hell are there no spawns INSIDE the damn base on Big Team Slayer?) and shot us at spawn before we were even able to look at it and throw grenades at it. That is what we call a massive design flaw. You know how we killed the thing? Shot it 9 times with the Sniper Rifle. The Sniper Rifle. That was the only weapon within reach.

Lastly, Slayer Pro in Team Slayer has no radar or armor abilities, which is what I was complaining about. That type takes away a very important feature of the Halo series (erm, anything not H3 MLG had it) and the newest feature in Reach for no reason (especially for no reason since Slayer Pro in Arena HAS radar and armor abilities). And, seriously, you'd defend throwing Race into Rumble Pit? That needs it's own damn list, period.

Spawn-killing or not, I do love Asylum, Countdown and Boardwalk.
---
Sony bought Konami and will release a DDR game for the Nintendo DS. In this game, you set your DS on the floor and stomp on it till it no longer functions.
#23XImperialDragonPosted 9/19/2010 8:12:18 PM

It had 3 good maps, Guardian, The Pit, and Construct. That was it. Oh and Valhalla was fun for big team battle.

Also, THOSE were the maps you considered to be the best? Sheesh.

Valhalla was one of the most well-constructed maps in the game, and offered a nearly perfect balance for everything. A little small for 4v4, but was perfect for 5v5 and 8v8 (so, not just Big Team Battle).

You didn't like Rat's Nest? Standoff? Blackout? Citadel? Assembly? Ghost Town? Last Resort?

Halo 3 was a hell of a lot more than Snowbound (the original, the one with the weapon-stopping shields that made the map as broken as half of Reach's maps), Isolation, etc..

As it stands now, even Heretic is better than Zealot in Reach. That's sad, considering both can't even touch Midship.
---
Sony bought Konami and will release a DDR game for the Nintendo DS. In this game, you set your DS on the floor and stomp on it till it no longer functions.
#24Icuras08Posted 9/19/2010 8:18:53 PM
I played Halo Reach again. I didn't like my experience.
I couldn't assassinate anyone! Oh, and the maps stink to me.
---
Give me liberty, or give me pizza pie
Highest Anticipated Game: Rune Factory 3!!!
#25The_ShaderPosted 9/20/2010 12:43:35 PM
i found out that if you press the Melee button to someones back, its an instant kill, but if you HOLD IT, then you perform an Assassination. So far, the elites have the most badass ones.... errr.. AHH its so hard to pick which is better!!!

As for the maps, i didnt play much of halo 2 or 3, but Reach is doing it for me. i'm inlove with Invasion mode and Slayer Pro, and while everyone in the world uses the DMR, i'm usin the Needle Rifle XD
---
Sparkster returns after 16 years in..... "Rocket Knight"
My Alias for Conduit= "Shader" Monster Hunter Tri= "Deimos"
#26MC_Brian1Posted 9/20/2010 4:59:12 PM
Also, THOSE were the maps you considered to be the best? Sheesh.

Valhalla was one of the most well-constructed maps in the game, and offered a nearly perfect balance for everything. A little small for 4v4, but was perfect for 5v5 and 8v8 (so, not just Big Team Battle).

You didn't like Rat's Nest? Standoff? Blackout? Citadel? Assembly? Ghost Town? Last Resort?

Halo 3 was a hell of a lot more than Snowbound (the original, the one with the weapon-stopping shields that made the map as broken as half of Reach's maps), Isolation, etc..

As it stands now, even Heretic is better than Zealot in Reach. That's sad, considering both can't even touch Midship.

It's not fair to count DLC maps yet. The maps I listed are the only good launch maps. Last Resort is fun but I wouldn't count it as a Reach map. Heretic was awesome anyway, don't know why you'd bash it. Valhalla was also a fine map for social but it was a terrible competitive map, it was a campfest and BR battles in open space with no cover get stupid after a while.

Anyway, I have never been camped by somebody up on the Spire in that map, how could you be camped by people so high up? Bloom would make that impossible, as well as the distance. That Zealot zero gravity area is the most hilariously bad camping spot ever too, it's impossible to get a kill from there due to the game's long killtimes. I don't know what game you're playing because I've never experienced that.

The spawns do need some work on that map, though. Asylum is a great and balanced map, I haven't experienced any spawn camping there, but that's just me. Also, Race in Rumble Pit is hilariously fun but I think it's stupid for it to be there, it does need its own playlist, and Bungie has announced that they will add more playlists to keep people happy.

We could discuss stuff about the maps all day, really. But I think that'd be a little pointless, a disagreement is a disagreement. We can both agree that The Cage sucks though right?
---
ammy- dog, not interested in, i dont like playing as dogs looks like a joke character, what is this dogz ds? - whitemogs on Amaterasu in MvC3
#27XImperialDragonPosted 9/20/2010 5:48:54 PM
It's not fair to count DLC maps yet.

You're right, you're right, that was unfair. Though, you'd think that good design would transcend launch/no launch though. >_>;

Anyway, I have never been camped by somebody up on the Spire in that map, how could you be camped by people so high up? Bloom would make that impossible, as well as the distance.

I never said anything about people camping up on the Spire. <_<; BTW, the DMR and Needle Rifle are completely unlike the BR; if you can see it and your bloom is zero you'll hit it (unlike Halo 3 where it was hit and miss due to bullet spread). You can 5 shot people from the top of the Spire, it's actually quit easy (especially considering how there's ridiculously low amounts of cover in the map that protects above the head). I have a video of someone doing so to an enemy in Invasion, though he got the kill after the third shot because a tank landed on the guy he was shooting, lol.

That Zealot zero gravity area is the most hilariously bad camping spot ever too, it's impossible to get a kill from there due to the game's long killtimes. I don't know what game you're playing because I've never experienced that.

.... You've apparently never played it in Arena, and you've apparently never played someone who's capable of aiming in those camping spots. It's a huge issue. Put a single person behind the lift and a person at the little tower-thing and you're probably screwed. Visit Bungie.net for more whining and complaining on that. I don't know how you've never experienced it; even my games in Team Slayer resorted to that when Zealot came up. It's annoying as hell when all 2-4 members of the opposing force do it.

Asylum is a great and balanced map, I haven't experienced any spawn camping there, but that's just me.

You know where the sniper rifle spawns? Well, on the side against the cliff-face (the side that doesn't have the sniper in front of the suicide ledges) if someone grabs the sniper and jet packs on top of where the rifle spawns, they can clearly see the originating spawn points for the enemy team (of course, you can only do this when that team spawns on that side), as well as the non-floor spawn points in the middle building. The sniper can also hit his own spawn points, leaving only a few open. If the sniper memorized the spawn points, then you're going to get spawn sniped from across the map repeatedly, until the game allows you to spawn in front of where the shotgun is. That's literally my only problem with Sanctuary, though.

We could discuss stuff about the maps all day, really. But I think that'd be a little pointless, a disagreement is a disagreement. We can both agree that The Cage sucks though right?

Oh yeah it does.
---
#28Counduit_KingPosted 9/20/2010 5:51:24 PM
Boom!...Bagoosh!
#29MC_Brian1Posted 9/21/2010 4:35:40 PM
You can 5 shot people from the top of the Spire, it's actually quit easy (especially considering how there's ridiculously low amounts of cover in the map that protects above the head). I have a video of someone doing so to an enemy in Invasion, though he got the kill after the third shot because a tank landed on the guy he was shooting, lol.

If you're going to 5/7 shot someone from all the way up there, you need good aim and you need to have your bloom at 0. The person could run away by then.

About the Zealot thing, I rarely play Arena since competitive play + radar is lolwut. I was just speaking from experience, I had no idea it was a big deal. Bungie loves the fans though, I'm sure it'll be fixed somehow. Also about Asylum, that's more of the Jetpack breaking the map than the Sniper.
---
#30XImperialDragonPosted 9/21/2010 5:00:37 PM
If you're going to 5/7 shot someone from all the way up there, you need good aim and you need to have your bloom at 0. The person could run away by then.

... Right, you were just saying it couldn't be done, and I expressed it could be. Nonetheless, I never said anything about people camping on the Spire anyway. -_-;

About the Zealot thing, I rarely play Arena since competitive play + radar is lolwut. I was just speaking from experience, I had no idea it was a big deal. Bungie loves the fans though, I'm sure it'll be fixed somehow. Also about Asylum, that's more of the Jetpack breaking the map than the Sniper.

Zealot will definitely be fixed, just like Boundless was, etc.. It's just a pain in the ass right now. In Asylum, I wasn't saying the sniper rifle was breaking anything. I was saying the spawns on that map were garbage and need a hell of a lot of work (like several other maps in this game). As of right now, they promote spawn camping, quick and easy. The only place to spawn at on the receiving side of this punishment is in front of the shotgun, and you'll only spawn down there if a teammate is nearby (so if an enemy sits there you'll never spawn there, being susceptible to this punishment the whole game, etc.).

I'm not saying Reach is bad; it's completely the opposite. Just, as it stands right now the game has a bunch of features (which is good) with a lot of glaringly noticeable flaws in a lot of areas, especially when compared to how polished Halo 3 was at the end of it's run (good playlists, balanced maps, etc.). Though much of Halo 3's balance came after it's patches, you'd think that they wouldn't repeat the same mistakes in every single game since 2. -_-;
---