my biggest concern with the rocket launcher in multiplayer...

#1donkeypunch1116Posted 10/20/2010 11:15:10 AM
we all know that the rocket launcher is going to be a loadout weapon in con2. the devs have said that they are working hard to make every weapon balanced to the point that no one weapon has a clear advantage over the other. thats fine and all, but heres the scenario im picturing...

lets take the absolute best case scenario and say that the launcher ends up not having much ammo, it has a really short blast radius, and takes forever to reload. sounds pretty balanced in comparison to the other weapons right?

well, now picture a whole team of random noobs using launchers. lets say they are camping in some part of the map, as your team goes to approach them. your team makes contact and gets destroyed. why? well, look at the points made above multiplied by 4-6 (in regards to number of players on the opposing team).

1. not much ammo - theres a whole hell of alot of ammo now.
2. short bast radius - increased significantly by the sheer number of rockets now.
3. takes forever to reload - not a problem when 4 other people are shooting while one is reloading.

seriously, i cant help but have the feeling that rockets are going to destroy multiplayer matches. if the number of people who consistently voted for rockets matches in tcon are any indication, were all screwed.

your thoughts?

---
xbox live: bringing the scum of the earth together since 2002
#2Xenozoa425Posted 10/20/2010 11:21:04 AM
Make it an expensive sidearm; 1 or 2 rockets for every (other) time you spawn, just like Call of Duty rocket launchers.

/thread
---
Black Ops and Conduit 2! <3
http://www.youtube.com/user/Xenozoa425
#3Brownprouder23Posted 10/20/2010 11:25:32 AM
donkeypunch1116, that's the exact same concern I had about rockets in the other thread.

Also, I bet The_Shader isn't going to say anything about the last CoD reference in the post before me, but if I were to say that, then he would rage.
#4Neo-ganonPosted 10/20/2010 11:25:44 AM

Thats why Im saying that the rocket launcher needs to be an unlockable weapon thats unlocked when you reach a certain rank or something, yet still expensive to buy using daos (assuming they use daos) and still balanced like you said. That way the situation you described wont happen.

#5Neo-ganonPosted 10/20/2010 11:27:56 AM

i seriously hope tony is still on these boards and reads this thread

#6donkeypunch1116(Topic Creator)Posted 10/20/2010 11:35:41 AM
@Xenozoa425: that could work, but even then... i dunno man, i could still see lots of abuse happening in that situation. plus, the cod games revolve around the "very little health concept", making most weapons (including launchers) roughly on par with each other. however, players in the conduit have much more health, making a one-hit-kill, no-skill-required weapon that much more unbalanced in comparison to the other weapons in the game.

also, do you still play reflex? i havent been on in ages...

---
xbox live: bringing the scum of the earth together since 2002
#7st33lbillPosted 10/20/2010 11:47:07 AM
if the number of people who consistently voted for rockets matches in tcon are any indication, were all screwed.

man i swear every other match with randoms was streets & launchers this better not be the case with the RL loadout
#8Synd_DromePosted 10/20/2010 12:37:50 PM
Lol, a whole team of people aren't going to be able to effectively camp in the way that you're proposing. It simply wouldn't happen. And, if they did, they'd be stupid morons because all anyone on the other team would have to do is chuck two nades in and the whole team of campers would be dead.

Further refutation (if you need more):

First of all, there will be sniper rifles that can shoot through walls. If I ever had a desire to camp, this fact would severely stunt that urge. Also the fact that, oh, I don't know, there's a SLIGHT possibility ONE person on the non-camping team could be using a rocket launcher and just beat the living hell out of the camping team with one rocket.

(More) further refutation (you must really be lame if you need to keep reading):

Hmm, let's see. What else? Oh, how about, OH YEAH, the guns that can shoot around walls? Last time I checked, there were two. Is there ANY possible way that this could discourage campers? Also, invisibility? We don't know exact specifics about this, but this basic principle will surely apply: you can't hit what you can't see. Also, I hope I need only mention and not explain this term in order that you grasp its meaning: the Aegis Device.

Honestly, we don't have the game. From what's been released so far, it seems like there will be so many different combinations of different loadouts that it will be completely impossible to camp.

/topic

PS: You all fail. Camping will not be a problem so everyone needs to stop whining.
---
Play to win, not to whine.
#9Aile_WingPosted 10/20/2010 12:47:34 PM
Using the TPC Launcher and/or the Warp Pistol from different angels at one time might solve this.
---
Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering.
Hebrew 13:3 (NIV)
#10Neo-ganonPosted 10/20/2010 2:22:06 PM

Synd_Drome posted...
Lol, a whole team of people aren't going to be able to effectively camp in the way that you're proposing. It simply wouldn't happen. And, if they did, they'd be stupid morons because all anyone on the other team would have to do is chuck two nades in and the whole team of campers would be dead.

Further refutation (if you need more):

First of all, there will be sniper rifles that can shoot through walls. If I ever had a desire to camp, this fact would severely stunt that urge. Also the fact that, oh, I don't know, there's a SLIGHT possibility ONE person on the non-camping team could be using a rocket launcher and just beat the living hell out of the camping team with one rocket.

(More) further refutation (you must really be lame if you need to keep reading):

Hmm, let's see. What else? Oh, how about, OH YEAH, the guns that can shoot around walls? Last time I checked, there were two. Is there ANY possible way that this could discourage campers? Also, invisibility? We don't know exact specifics about this, but this basic principle will surely apply: you can't hit what you can't see. Also, I hope I need only mention and not explain this term in order that you grasp its meaning: the Aegis Device.

Honestly, we don't have the game. From what's been released so far, it seems like there will be so many different combinations of different loadouts that it will be completely impossible to camp.

/topic

PS: You all fail. Camping will not be a problem so everyone needs to stop whining.
---
Play to win, not to whine.

were not all basing our arguments purely on the fact that there will be campers genius. some of us are basing our arguments on the fact that there will always be the noobs who just jump around with the rockets scoring cheap kills left and right. if the rockets are easy to unlock or if they are the same as they were in Tcon, you will see that everywere.