Why are Wii games so incredibly linear?

#1Snake_PiratePosted 11/6/2010 7:51:49 AM
The N64 had epic open world games, there were no memory isssues or technical limitations that prevented a great epic adventure from happening. The Conduit and Red Steel 2 make the Wii look like crap that can only produce on-rail shooters without exploding. Metroid Prime 3 looked and played great so I know it's possible.

I hope Conduit 2 really is more open world in its design with interesting enemy A.I. because that makes or breaks the game for me. Wii Motion Plus, movable cover, and weapon alt. fire are all really nice new features, but they don't mean squat if level design still isn't up to snuff.
#2Icuras08Posted 11/6/2010 8:03:08 AM
Well, Conduit 2 will have a hubworld that will let you choose what next mission to take on.
Levels will have branching paths, and I heard in an interview that hidden paths might open up in previous played levels.

Also, hidden conspiracy objects that you can find throughout the game will unlock extra side missions, or weapons.
---
Give me liberty, or give me pizza pie
Highest Anticipated Game: Rune Factory 3!!!
#3Snake_Pirate(Topic Creator)Posted 11/6/2010 8:09:44 AM
I hope branching paths are more of the "take the cliff route that runs along the mountain instead of going down into the valley below" variety instead of "go left or right in a hallway" style of choice which is close to meaningless except that you need to go to both to get all the secrets.
#4The_ShaderPosted 11/6/2010 8:33:02 AM
^ Lots of games have that going on. its quite annoying.

Hopefully HVS has thought up some pretty elaborate detours.
---
Sparkster returns after 16 years in..... "Rocket Knight"
My Alias for Conduit= "Shader" Monster Hunter Tri= "Deimos"
#5Phasmatis92Posted 11/6/2010 8:46:46 AM
It ain't just the Wii, dude; I think you'll find most console games outside of RPGs are quite linear this generation, presumably to make them more accessible.
#6Snake_Pirate(Topic Creator)Posted 11/6/2010 8:54:25 AM
I'm going to guess it's the art costs. When 3d games had simple textures you could create impressive environments to get people to like the game. Now everything is so expensive to make things look pretty in HD that it makes sense to save money and take you on a cinematic journey than it is to let you explore and have the graphics not be consistently excellent.
#7UltimateFlame13Posted 11/6/2010 9:15:19 AM
They all wanna be like FFXIII for some reason.
#8Sanosuke_InaraPosted 11/6/2010 9:20:35 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#9theEvilJohnPosted 11/6/2010 11:27:34 AM
Clearly not just the Wii. Gears of War, Bioshock and Metro 2033 are all incredibly linear.
---
XBOX Gamer tag: theEvilJohn
Steam ID: theEvilJohn
#10nintendomaniacPosted 11/6/2010 1:33:55 PM
Heck even a game series known for its non-linearity, Metroid, just had 2 of its most linear installments on the Wii. (Prime 3 and Other M)

Of course, once you throw Prime Trilogy in there this is thrown completely out the window.
---
Wii Code: 8374-5612-2233-9267