About custom loadouts/suit upgrades

#1RyokoWinsPosted 11/17/2010 8:44:45 PM
I'm a bit confused as to how these things could be bad (as long as they're balanced). It gives you the ability to play the way you want to play, to try out different strategies just about whenever you feel like, and to change the game dynamic dramatically during the match. Did you like being forced to use the SMAW for three matches in a row? I certainly didn't. Sure, it's taking an idea that CoD popularized, but here's the thing: IT'S A GOOD IDEA. I think that the majority of FPS games in the future will use these type of things (or other methods of customizing your playstyle in multiplayer) and I honestly don't see how it could be a bad thing. Does anyone care to explain? That's not a rhetorical question.
---
I apologize for whatever I just said.
#2RyokoWins(Topic Creator)Posted 11/17/2010 8:50:21 PM
Hmm...I think I may have gone too far in the part about the majority of FPS games, but my point still stands.
---
#3The_ShaderPosted 11/17/2010 8:57:38 PM
Loadouts and Suit Upgrades add a since of RPG to the FPS genre. (Like RPG classes, and attack skills), and mixing genre's can lead to awesome game developements. (Mass Effect is a good example of how RPG elements make other genre's better.)

HVS just needs to add Loadouts and Upgrades in a very VERY unique way. CoD didnt start this stuff, but it is certainly the first to bring this to the majority of the public. HVS just needs to be as clever as they possibly can for now, and Conduit 2 will work.
---
Sparkster returns after 16 years in..... "Rocket Knight"
My Alias for Wii Online = "Shader" Monster Hunter Tri = "Deimos"
#4slit_your_gutzPosted 11/17/2010 10:37:59 PM
I like the idea of loadouts and suit upgrades, but for multiplayer matches I'd like both of these to be optional, not mandatory.

Yeah it's sweet to pick the gun you're best with and your best equipment to show how you can own at your best in a relatively serious match.

But it's also fun to be unarmed and unarmored with some friends and have a lulzworthy scramble for guns.
#5RyokoWins(Topic Creator)Posted 11/17/2010 10:48:41 PM
The cool thing about it is that you can still do that. You'd just have to make a loadout for such lulzworthy matches. Since there are weapons scattered on the map, you can give yourself the same kinds of guns you think you'd have gotten for default weapons (or even weaker if you like) and some useless/passive upgrades. True, it would take a little more work since you have to create the loadout and get your friends to agree on the rules, but you can still do it.
---
#6CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 11/17/2010 11:30:16 PM
it makes the game more run and gun.
If you're fully loaded the instant you spawn, the gameplay becomes more reduced to spraying.

No more tedious strategy, no more building up a plan and an arsenal in game. Who needs that?
#7slit_your_gutzPosted 11/18/2010 6:33:29 AM
Chainmail has the right idea
#8Valdimir_DregaPosted 11/18/2010 10:16:17 AM
In a way I agree with CHAINMAILKID. Some of my best lulzworthy matches on older games were the fistfights that would occur over guns, and the secondary option to disarm people with melee attacks on Perfect Dark.

Really, the main things governing HVS decision to include loadouts and suit upgrades (which aren't always bad) is economics. It's what's familliar to todays average hardcore shooter fan, and lessens the learning curve for them. Essentially it makes it more accessible to them and increases the odds that they'll buy it at a glance.

I can't blame HVS for that. They're independent and their sales affect their progress more than a third party that's glued to a publisher. That said, I do wish that someone, somewhere, would break the mold and perfect the old Perfect Dark style gameplay for today's gamers. It wouldn't be an easy feat, but if done right, it would be a welcome blast from the past for many.
---
Uncharted 2 Machinima Voice Actor. Currently playing Sully and Lazarevic. Add me on PSN if you want to get involved: Geo_Chronic.
#9The_ShaderPosted 11/18/2010 1:38:36 PM
I'm predicting somewhere in 2011 a game will come out that'll break said mold, or a game will be previewed with that in mind.

its gonna happen eventually, and i'll **** myself if it happens to be the new CoD game thats coming out next year. I'm curious as to what the NEW Infinity Ward can think of.
---
Sparkster returns after 16 years in..... "Rocket Knight"
My Alias for Wii Online = "Shader" Monster Hunter Tri = "Deimos"
#10RyokoWins(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2010 4:33:22 PM
I'm sorry, but what strategy? You mean running for the best gun on the map? That's not strategy, that's memorizing where the weapons are on the map and going to the one you want, hoping that no one else has already taken it. Spawning with the weapon you want allows for more strategy. You can start to use any plan you have (or lack thereof, if you so choose) as soon as you spawn (or as soon as you get to the place you can implement your plan, but spawning with the weapon you want saves you a trip to the weapon's spawn point). Yeah, people will just spray, but people will do that with weapon pickups also, and it just makes it harder to counter the people who do it. If someone else takes the weapon you wanted, you're forced to fight him for it with a weaker gun.
---