Quickly, ideas for original FPS game mechanics only doable with the Wii

#1elheberPosted 11/19/2010 7:48:48 PM
...and to a lesser extent the PSMove.

Why? Because I fear it will become a trend to make more games compatible with a Classic Controller, and if so, developers will have to limit their creativity in using the Wiimote and motion controls in general in order for controls to be workable on the optional CCs.

When the Wii came out, I, like many people, was like, "OH ****, IMAGINE WHAT THEY'LL DO WITH FPS GAMES!" But so far, they've all done basically the same thing. They haven't experimented much, or pushed the envelope far enough. Where's the dual wielding FPS game where you control the game with two Wiimotes? Where's the game where we can point the Wiimote backward to shoot behind us? Or the one in the "Revolution" teasers where some guy was physically ducking behind his couch to avoid gunfire? The ideas have been so stagnant that even at this stage of the Wii's life cycle, CC controls can be added to the game with minimal gameplay loss. *COUGHconduitCOUGH*

I don't want creativity with the Wiimote to go the way of the dodo. So here are a few gameplay mechanics that are not doable with conventional controls, that I think would be schweet on a Conduit sequel or spinoff. Join if you will. Criticize if you want. But try not to let this become a Wiimote vs. CCP thread. We have enough of those, and not just on this board.

Weapons that Utilize Motion - I mean instead of just the pointer. When you point far enough off-screen, the motion alternate controls kick-in. Like a weapon that shoots a straight energy beam, and as you hold down the fire button you can curve the beam in any direction by tilting the Wiimote. Or a weapon like HL2's gravity gun, but once you hold something you can rotate it in 3D space... which would be cool for some light puzzles where you hold mirrors. Or a rocket launcher where you simply point the Wiimote straight down to rocket jump without needing to look down... or backward to give you a bit of extra forward momentum in mid-air.

Ah the Underutilized Nunchuck - I still want to see a game where the analog controls the camera and the tilt sensor is used to move. Or how about tilting left/right to lean at any time, or forward to crouch further when ducking or run faster when sprinting. Or to control rockets after you already fired them. Imagine throwing some kind of "gyro-grenade" then making it roll to the left around a corner by tilting the nunchuck. If the developer can make the controls tight enough, the nunchuck accelerometers could be used for evasive moves by juking (not tilting) left or right.

Dual Wielding with two Wiimotes and independent targetting would be cool, but I don't know how the movement and the camera would work. I s'pose one D-Pad would control movement while the other D-Pad controls the camera.

Or I suppose it can be sort of done with a Wiimote+Nunchuck, so long as the Wiimote always controls the primary and the Nunchuck always controls the secondary, and the secondary is controlled with tilting (which could take some getting used to). But if secondary weapons in this case have very unique attributes (like stun guns or Zelda-style hookshots) it would be one schmexy game. OH, imagine a single player sections of levels where you'd use a flashlight as your secondary controlled independently with the Nunchuck while using your Wiimote to control the primary.

Sorry I hogged all the ideas. I know a lot of these had been mentioned before, and yet nobody's made a game with them (other than some limited tilting in Goldeneye).
---
"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."
Daos (Doritos and Orange Soda) for Con2 currency name. I support this.
#2Sudsy86_Posted 11/19/2010 9:24:35 PM

These are certainly creative. But, if up against someone using DA, they're going to lose. DA is much easier to use since most movement is in some form of a line, and aiming in linear measures prevents you from straying too far.

But, if these were applied to a wiimote-exclusive shooter, it might have some chance. I just can't see how these mechanics would be easy to get down without a lot of arse-kickings.

#3elheber(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2010 9:43:28 PM
I don't want creativity with the Wiimote to go the way of the dodo. So here are a few gameplay mechanics that are not doable with conventional controls, that I think would be schweet on a Conduit sequel or spinoff. Join if you will. Criticize if you want. But try not to let this become a Wiimote vs. CCP thread. We have enough of those, and not just on this board.
---
#4RyokoWinsPosted 11/20/2010 9:50:32 AM
...I got nothing.
---
I apologize for whatever I just said.
#5ChangliniPosted 11/23/2010 3:49:22 PM
I got one.

How about a grabbing mechanic that can only be activated when you thrust the wiimote and numchuck together with two other buttons?
Once in that action, the player can then either push the apposing player away leaving them vulnerable to be shot at or take down the player instantly putting him/her/it out of action until respawn.

Wait, did RS2 already do that?
---
NER
Oh how you haunt me.
#6CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 11/23/2010 4:18:21 PM
I want 1:1 hand gestures for silent tactical communication.

WAYYYY hardcore.
#7Icuras08Posted 11/23/2010 4:19:25 PM
The Harmonizer
Description: This gun shoots out sound waves. When the enemy gets hit by one, their wiimote goes crazy. It starts emitting loud creepy moans and starts rumbling like crazy.
Alt-fire: This an alternate mode. During this mode, the whole screen get's blurry and your vision is terrible. The power increases dramatically though and the sound waves spread farther. In order to take full use of this alt-fire, you'll have to resort to using your other senses to make up for your loss of eyesight. For starters, your hearing increases tenfold, so it is much easier to hear the direction of where someone is. When an enemy is near your crosshair, a beeping sound emits from your wiimote, telling you to unleash a powerful kamehameha blast. It wastes a ton of ammo during this alternate fire though.

---
Give me liberty, or give me pizza pie
Highest Anticipated Game: Rune Factory 3!!!
#8Icuras08Posted 11/23/2010 4:38:26 PM
Hate how there isn't any 4 player online in this game?

ARC-Coop
Description: A machine connected to the players back, like a backpack. Connected to the backpack are 4 guns: 1 on the player's left and right shoulder, and 2 next to his waist. Whats so unique about this weapon is that each gun is controlled by a separate wiimote, with player one controlling the character. Each gun acts like a minigun, but are terribly weak and slow. To use this weapon to it's greating potential, I'd suggest having 3 other people controlling the weapon with you.

It's not exactly 4 player online, but it still sounds cool.
---
Set signature in options page.
#9elheber(Topic Creator)Posted 11/23/2010 7:51:39 PM
I want 1:1 hand gestures for silent tactical communication.

I like this. I'm talking about things that can't be done with button presses and such, so like grabbing and stuff doesn't count. The speaker is another interesting one, and we haven't seen it used very much in FPS games.

You know those room breaching/clearing in slow motion that happens in CoD games? Those are best with a Wiimote. Red Steel was the first to do it... long before Splinter Cell's "mark and execute", things would go slow-mo, the camera would lock, and you'd just start popping heads in slow motion with extreme precision. The Wii still has an advantage in this gameplay mechanic, and it was used well in Goldeneye. I just want to see it done more.

Similarly, in on-rails moments during FPS games, the Wii has a clear advantage. I'm glad Con2 has these moments.
---
#10The_ShaderPosted 11/23/2010 8:32:38 PM
*Gets a call on the Smartphone while playing GoldenEne*

O_O

*Does the 'pick up the phone' gesture, putting the wiimote to ear*
*Listens to phone call through the wiimote speaker*

*is astonished*
---
Sparkster returns after 16 years in..... "Rocket Knight"
My Alias for Wii Online = "Shader" Monster Hunter Tri = "Deimos"