Why does everything zoom in?

#1Aile_WingPosted 11/22/2010 10:23:48 PM
In the latest Invasion mode video the second player uses the SCAR's scope to kill some enemy. When the player looks down the scope everything inside AND outside the scope zooms in. Now that I think about it, I've seen this happen in other games as well, but why? Why isn't only the image inside the scope zoomed in?
---
Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering.
Hebrew 13:3 (NIV)
#2Fluxy1223Posted 11/23/2010 7:25:02 AM
It's easier to just make the whole screen zoom in.
---
I think too much, and not in a smart way.....
Daos (Doritos and Orange Soda) for Con2 currency name.
#3Aile_Wing(Topic Creator)Posted 11/23/2010 8:44:49 AM
^ No doubt, but I think having only the image inside the scope zoomed in would be a nice realistic touch.
---
Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering.
#4sonicspeedctrPosted 11/24/2010 1:28:23 AM
Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of aiming down the sights at all?
---
My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
MP:H friend code: 0473-1634-7445
#5Aile_Wing(Topic Creator)Posted 11/24/2010 9:08:07 AM
^ How so?
---
#6sonicspeedctrPosted 11/24/2010 8:09:04 PM
To me, it seems like not having the whole screen zoom in would not make it any easier to see where you are aiming at. But i can't say for sure. I would have to actually play the game with the 2 different kind of zoom to know.
---
My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
MP:H friend code: 0473-1634-7445
#7BainesPosted 11/24/2010 9:14:28 PM
A promo video for Red Orchestra 2, a PC FPS, counts as a feature that when using a scope, the area outside the scope is displayed unzoomed. While it was probably implemented mainly for realism, it does look like it gives a scope user a better sense of his immediate surroundings.

It isn't done in most games because it is much easier to just zoom the whole screen, maybe blurring the edges or even blacking them out entirely.
---
Help is a gift that one must never grow to expect. -- Willow (Witches' Brew by Terry Brooks)
#8Aile_Wing(Topic Creator)Posted 11/25/2010 10:05:34 AM
sonicspeedctr:
To me, it seems like not having the whole screen zoom in would not make it any easier to see where you are aiming at.

Baines:
... it does look like it gives a scope user a better sense of his immediate surroundings.

I thought of that as well, but if the image inside the scope is zoomed in and the image outside is not the player might have a more difficult time putting and keeping the target in the crosshairs because the speed at which the two images scroll when looking around would be at different rates. To be honest, I really don't know. I have to see this in action. I'll look at Red Orchestra 2 in an attempt to see what this would be like. Are there any other FPS's that do this?
---
#9SmallerRidleyPosted 11/25/2010 10:29:32 AM
They need to make the scope take up more of the screen than it did, and not have it be so shiny so it's easier to see through it.

But yeah, it's easier to program the whole screen to zoom, or black out everything outside the scope.
---
Surely there's no problem with them putting me in Brawl, right?
It's ****ing satire, damnit. My quote rocks your socks.
#10BainesPosted 11/25/2010 1:05:07 PM
I can't find the RO2 promo video anymore, but you can find YouTube footage of snipers in the first Red Orchestra. It does have the scoped zoom with unzoomed view outside. (RO2 adds some other graphical tweaks, trying to make it look more realistic.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjHM1h1MXnI

The kind of neat thing about the gun that the guy uses in the above video is that its raised scope was designed to allow both iron sight and scoped viewing. While Red Orchestra doesn't model that feature, Red Orchestra 2 is adding it, allowing you to switch between scoped and iron sight with a single keypress toggle. The promo (that I couldn't find again) even made a point of how you could adjust the two separately. (Red Orchestra models bullet drop, so adjusting the scope crosshairs and iron sight levels is a useful ability. Having a gun that can be simultaneously adjusted for long range sniper fire and closer range rifle fire also sounds fairly useful.)
---
Help is a gift that one must never grow to expect. -- Willow (Witches' Brew by Terry Brooks)