multiplayer interview

#1Simok123Posted 12/11/2010 6:00:56 PM
http://hdwarriors.com/?p=1265

---
CONDUIT MASTA! AND GOLDENEYE PLAYA!
#2Fluxy1223Posted 12/11/2010 6:05:04 PM
Sweet, thanks for the post
---
I think too much, and not in a smart way.....
Daos (Doritos and Orange Soda) for Con2 currency name.
#3tconslayerPosted 12/11/2010 6:06:29 PM

Nice find dude still cant wait

#4Fluxy1223Posted 12/11/2010 6:07:32 PM
When we interviewed High Voltage Software about the upcoming Conduit 2, we didn’t expect to find the Multiplayer – both online and off, to sound so much more appealing than it was in the first game. Nor had it dawned on us just why and how rare split screen local multiplayer has become these days.

HDW: We’ve heard you mention something about a ‘Horde or Invasion mode’?

HVS: Invasion mode is our ‘Firefight Mode’. 1-4 players can team up and fight wave after wave of enemy bots earning cash to buy upgrades and weapons. It’s a fun cooperative splitscreen mode and something not many other Wii games have.

HDW: Can you tell us how many maps there will be available for multi-player, or share with us whether or not there will be a significant amount more as compared to the first game?

HVS: We have nearly double the amount of maps from The Conduit (C1). Conduit 2 (C2) has a really good assortment of fun and interesting maps. We play a lot of Multiplayer around the office and we are always finding unique strategies for each map. We have tons of fun playing and we think gamers out there will really have a blast with what our multiplayer has to offer. This time around, we have more game modes, fully customizable characters, multiple loadouts, and the ability to create private matches which can be customized even further. We want to offer gamers as many options to play how they want to.

HDW: You and others Developers are now making local split screen multiplayer a welcome standard on Wii first person shooters after years of Developers shying away from doing so. Can you share some insight as to why you think there was reluctance before now?

HVS: Splitscreen seems rare even on other consoles. There is a large technical hurdle developers have to tackle when making splitscreen on the Wii and even other consoles. We’ve spent countless hours looking into ways of optimizing the game and tweaking things here and there to ensure things are running smoothly for splitscreen players. Splitscreen has the same complement of maps, modes, weapons, characters, and upgrades as our online component so there is a lot of content to ensure consistency between modes.
---
I think too much, and not in a smart way.....
Daos (Doritos and Orange Soda) for Con2 currency name.
#5BainesPosted 12/12/2010 12:55:12 AM
"HVS: Splitscreen seems rare even on other consoles. There is a large technical hurdle developers have to tackle when making splitscreen on the Wii and even other consoles."

I'm all for more split-screen, and lament when it is missing, but how rare is it honestly?

All of the Call of Duty games have four-player split-screen death match (and some other modes). Black Ops has two-player split-screen zombies mode and the bot training stuff. (Basically, if it has CPU enemies, it doesn't support four-player split.) The Wii versions may drop split-screen, I haven't bothered to play them to find out. Offline split-screen not having the same leveling, unlocking, and class creation as online is a developer choice, not a hardware issue.

All of the Halo games have four-player split-screen death match. They may all support four-player split-screen online. Like Call of Duty, when you add CPU characters to a match, split-screen support drops to two-player at most (co-op campaign, firefight, etc).

GRAW2 has four-player split-screen death match, elimination (facing hordes of CPU enemies), and campaign missions (again facing hordes of CPU enemies and some vehicles too). The only bot option it lacks is pretty much death match bots.

Perfect Dark Zero has four-player split-screen death match, with bots. The Club, while a third-person shooter instead of an FPS, had four-player split-screen death match.

Red Steel 1 has four-player split-screen death match. (Red Steel 2 drops multiplayer entirely.) Goldeneye Wii also has four-player split-screen. Both show the Wii is capable of four-player split-screen, just in case anyone had forgotten that the weaker Gamecube and Xbox 1 had several four-player split-screen FPS. (Xbox 1 and PS2 even had games with four-player split-screen campaign support.)

Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 both have two-player split-screen campaign. Borderlands has two-player split-screen campaign. Resident Evil 5 had two-player split. Lost Planet 2. Army of Two. Gears of War 2. Rainbow Six Vegas 2. The Wiiware game Water Warfare has two-player split-screen. There are rumors that Killzone 3 has two-player split-screen.

The FPS that are most likely to lack split-screen are probably those that come from developers with the most PC-like mindset, where split-screen was long hampered by controller options and online became king, and also the focus on single player lead to pushing the edge of graphics or world effects (which in turn forced single player.)

The big missing thing is bot support. Even when a game does support some form of AI enemies (even if not true death match bots), the modes (campaign, firefight/horde, zombies, etc) are often limited to two-player split screen rather than four-player.

Well, one could complain about the absence of combined split-screen and online play. Honestly, that absence wouldn't be as important if bots were more often a feature (and were a feature with four players.) It is the combination of a lack of bots and a lack of split-screen online that can cause split-screen to feel so lacking when you are playing stuff like maps and modes designed for eight or more players.
---
Help is a gift that one must never grow to expect. -- Willow (Witches' Brew by Terry Brooks)
#6SupahShnipaPosted 12/12/2010 12:04:22 PM
GRAW2 has four-player split-screen death match, elimination (facing hordes of CPU enemies), and campaign missions (again facing hordes of CPU enemies and some vehicles too). The only bot option it lacks is pretty much death match bots.

Just another reason why that game was awesome, and why I cannot wait for Future Soldier.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/SupahShnipa
#7Valdimir_DregaPosted 12/12/2010 4:35:18 PM
I'm still investigating into this matter but it seems all of the recent interviews are alluding to the same thing: Invasion mode is no longer going to be online.

HVS: Invasion mode is our ‘Firefight Mode’. 1-4 players can team up and fight wave after wave of enemy bots earning cash to buy upgrades and weapons. It’s a fun cooperative splitscreen mode and something not many other Wii games have.

Notice the emphasis on "cooperative splitscreen mode", as I said I'm still investigating and e-mailing HVS in hopes that they'll reply soon. It's been about a week since my last mail to them and I still haven't gotten an answer. I'm not getting my hopes up about online Invasion though until I hear it straight from HVS's mouth.
---
Uncharted 2 Machinima Voice Actor. Currently playing Sully and Lazarevic. Add me on PSN if you want to get involved: Geo_Chronic.
#8naruto3336Posted 12/13/2010 5:00:30 PM

^ I think they made it fairly clear that it is only splitscreen co-operative. It is safe to assume that the mode will not be playable online. This is a real bummer because Black Ops does this. :(