All FPS games should have a 180 degree turn move

#1Phasmatis92Posted 1/2/2011 6:39:37 AM
Like in Resident Evil 4.

Nothing sucks more than when you're getting hit from behind and it takes forever for you to turn around.
People can turn VERY fast when they're in danger, so it's realistic too.
#2tconslayerPosted 1/2/2011 7:17:10 AM

I kinda like the idea cause I like too noscope

#3Simok123Posted 1/2/2011 10:24:26 AM
^ we know slayer....you always say that xD

anyways yeah its kinda a nice tool, but its not that useful other than 360s, and turning around quick, but yeah, its useful sometimes
---
CONDUIT MASTA!, GOLDENEYE SLAYA!, AND BLACK OPS PLAYA!
#4Brownprouder23Posted 1/2/2011 11:08:29 AM
I had my turn speed faster than that fail 180 (though never really 180) spin that The Conduit had. There was no point for that.
#5SmallerRidleyPosted 1/2/2011 11:18:13 AM
The 180 spin in TCon was too slow and jarring. If it actually accelerates and goes a bit faster, it'll be useful.
---
Surely there's no problem with them putting me in Brawl, right?
It's ****ing satire, damnit. My quote rocks your socks.
#6SupahShnipaPosted 1/2/2011 1:11:25 PM
Give me a backflip maneuverer so I can do stuff from the Matrix.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/SupahShnipa
#7BainesPosted 1/2/2011 1:26:47 PM
For an FPS, I think I'd rather have something like a double-speed turn button instead. It wouldn't work with dual analog control schemes, though.

180 turn buttons are jarring in an FPS or close-camera third-person game. If they turn instantly, then you still have to adjust to the completely new view before you can safely start moving again. (Just because you know you want to turn around doesn't mean that you want to turn 180 degrees.) If it is a slow turn, then it is little better than a manual turn, and potentially worse if you are locked into the turn.

Yes, you can double-tap a 180 turn button for a quick "rear view" effect, but that mucks with your movement as it is a real turn. If you only want it to take peeks, then you probably want the rear view button of a driving game instead.

Now, a rear view that could be converted into a fast turn as desired could have some real potential. Being able to look behind as you continue to move forward, with the ability to auto-turn to the new view when and if desired? (Of course then people would probably then just ask for separate view, aim, and movement controls, so you could do stuff like strafe left while looking right and firing behind you.)
---
Help is a gift that one must never grow to expect. -- Willow (Witches' Brew by Terry Brooks)
#8Brownprouder23Posted 1/2/2011 1:49:52 PM
We can't see what's behind us. A rear view camera is only in driving games because in a car you CAN see what's behind you using the rear view mirror.
#9Segador128Posted 1/2/2011 3:38:09 PM
Only Wii shooters, Its fine on 360 and PC shooters, set COD settings to insane and see what I am talking about.
You turn around so fast that you can see the unrendered side of your gun.
#10Brownprouder23Posted 1/2/2011 4:07:49 PM
^Still you can't see what's behind you without turning around unless you had eyes to do that. When you're turning around, you're doing that so you CAN see what's behind you.