All FPS games should have a 180 degree turn move

#11BainesPosted 1/2/2011 4:12:16 PM
A rear view (without turning) is a cheat, but games don't well handle the idea of being able to quickly turn your head to look around with minimal impact on both movement and aim.

Yes, I can't look 180 degrees behind me without being really flexible and turning from at least my waist upwards. All the same, I can look 90 degrees to my side and back to forward in a moment without breaking my pace or direction or where I'm holding my arms. Games aren't good at that, either. You could make a special control for it, like a "look to the side" button, but then you've got two possible directions to look, and FPS controls are already fairly complex. 180 rear view is a cheat, but FPS aren't realistic anyways. (If FPS were realistic, then the military would teach bunnyhopping.)

Heck, 180 degree turn buttons as implemented aren't even realistic. It shouldn't be faster to turn 180 degrees than to turn 90, but that is the kind of speed difference that you tend to see with such schemes. In some games, it is nearly instantaneous.
---
Help is a gift that one must never grow to expect. -- Willow (Witches' Brew by Terry Brooks)
#12The_ShaderPosted 1/2/2011 5:59:25 PM
Keep the 180 turn in Conduit 2, but add in that you either automatically go to a kneeling and 'ready to fire' position upon using it. (With increased weapon accuracy to boost its usefullness.)

Honestly, i used it quite a bit because i set my settings to low for better aiming and head tracking on enemies, then used the 180 turn quite often in order to turn around instantly and exactly. A very helpful feature in The Conduit.
---
Sparkster returns after 16 years in..... "Rocket Knight"
My Alias for Wii Online = "Shader" Monster Hunter Tri = "Deimos"
#13SupahShnipaPosted 1/2/2011 7:50:51 PM
I want Bullet Time from The Matrix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhxbYTMNMxo
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/SupahShnipa
#14RyokoWinsPosted 1/3/2011 3:05:10 AM
Eh...I never used the 180 in The Conduit. It was too jarring for me for it to be useful.
---
I apologize for whatever I just said.