(off topic)When do you think the wii 2 is coming out?

#21elheberPosted 1/16/2011 5:18:38 AM
Yes N sold many consoles but Nintendo has lost out on the main meat of third party games. How much more would they had sold if they could play games like Mass Effect or Left 4 Dead (and not with cartoon graphics.)
The third party devolepers have stated that they don't want to code for wii because it's too restrictively small.

Go to any retail store (Walmart, Best Buy, GameStop, Target, etc) or retail store website and look at how many games they have for the Wii, and compare it to how many they have for the PS3 and Xbox 360. See? There's more games for the Wii.

Even if you didn't notice it because you're a hardcore gamer like I am, the Wii not only sells more systems, but it also sells more games overall. Publishers go where the money is. If there's money to be made, they'll make games for it. It isn't about ease of programming (which the Wii has) or graphical power or such and such. It's about the install base (how many own the system) and attach rate (how many games they buy per system). They're easy to look up on Google. The Wii has more systems sold and an attach rate bigger than the PS3 and 360 combined.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/07/16/report-wii-software-growth-has-peaked-dropping-off/

Look, I didn't need to explain why the Wii has more games, all that I had to do was prove you wrong. And not only has the Wii sold more systems than the PS3 and 360, but also more games. So please, retract your "Nintendo lost HARD" statement.
---
"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."
Daos (Doritos and Orange Soda) for Con2 currency name. I support this.
#22elheberPosted 1/16/2011 5:26:07 AM
The Wii has more systems sold and an attach rate bigger than the PS3 and 360 combined.

Sorry, I have to make a correction. The Wii has sold more games overall than the PS3 and 360 combined. The attach rate isn't bigger than the PS3 and 360 combined, but that's because the Wii has a larger install base than them.
---
#23ddd87Posted 1/16/2011 5:44:58 AM
The Wii is successful because of its waggle/party/mario games. The only third party that is not struggling in the system is probably ubisoft with its "just dance" series. If the wii was aimed at the core audience it would have been dead three years ago.

The Wii has abysmal third party support because of its power, dev costs, and target audience. Nintendo gained mass appeal in exchange of quality and features. It has more smaller third party devs, but lost the bigger ones.
And lets not talk about the audience nintendo lost because of this. Casuals will keep buying crap and party games regardless their quality.

Nintendo has admitted that they made the 3DS stronger because they needed it to get support from the third party since its not a system for kids.
#24Phasmatis92Posted 1/16/2011 6:48:16 AM
There's no need for a Wii 2 at this point; the Wii is continuing to outsell the PS3 and 360, and one of its biggest guns remains unfired; Skyward Sword, the first true Wii Zelda title. (TP was a Gamecube port)

Of all the companies, Microsoft has the most reason to upgrade first I'd say; Nintendo doesn't need to and Sony can't afford to. MS probably won't though, because of they've made their competition with PS3 a matter of stubborn, childish pride, and seem to feel that letting the PS3 last longer would be conceding defeat.
#25elheberPosted 1/16/2011 7:21:05 AM
Right, Nintendo wants to improve third party support with the 3DS.

That said, the Wii has been a massive success for Nintendo and made them bucketloads of money. It's sold more systems (and at a profit since launch), has more games, and has sold more games than its competition. I'm arguing Braver_Angel's claim that the Wii "lost HARD."
---
#26ddd87Posted 1/16/2011 8:55:36 AM
The Wii did lost some big things, but gained other stuffs. There is almost no third party that wants to put a game on wii that is not a terrible downgrade from the real PS360 game (let alone an actual wii exclusive that is on par with the quality of nintendo titles); journalist and gamers have a clear tendency to look down on the system, gaining more and more negative press. Casuals won't check reviews or search in forums, they don't demand quality or length or online, they will keep buying these cheap games even if they are simple nes ports!

If the Wii's successor keeps this same strategy (cheaper outdated and casual software / hardware as priority) Im not even going to bother getting it.
#27Sudsy86_Posted 1/16/2011 1:23:54 PM
Nintendo is a very smart business. They're also seemingly apathetic towards product quality.
With that, I bet they're focusing on the handheld market, since they probably have no interest putting the finances and effort into competiting in the main console market over the long-term. That's actually what the wii is: a short-term boomer just to allow them to have a place in the market. They've also been ruined by the high commercialization of gaming, which took the focus from deep, adventureous games to empty, accessible games. That made their previous types of games less viable--which is why the quality-price efficient wii has been a smart short-term business plan.

The current market for games is as shallow as ever; so, I can't imagine the next wii system being any better than as good as the current other systems.

I'll say Q3 2013 for the next system.
#28Braver_Angel_70Posted 1/16/2011 5:17:20 PM
Made a new topic in the right area, afraid this topic might get locked by the mods.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/930752-wii/57830911
---
The Shigeru. Allows Link to create his own dungeons. -epicdavid
#29Phasmatis92Posted 1/16/2011 8:51:23 PM
" They've also been ruined by the high commercialization of gaming,"

So has every console this generation by that logic.
Games like the Call of Duty series an its ilk are as shallow and commercial as Wii Sports and the like, accessibility equals profit in the current market.

As for Nintendo sacrificing quality, Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 are widely considered 2 of the best, if not THE best, games of this generation, and they're Wii exclusive.
#30Sudsy86_Posted 1/17/2011 10:28:31 AM
"So has every console this generation by that logic.
Games like the Call of Duty series an its ilk are as shallow and commercial as Wii Sports and the like, accessibility equals profit in the current market."

True. It's a general video game problem. However, I think the drop off has been WAY worse for Nintendo since 2000 or so. Up to that point, their games, in my mind, were the greatest of all time. The Ps1 wasn't as good; so, the drop off hasn't been much.