Just about a month to go.....

#1shotokanjavPosted 1/13/2011 1:03:44 PM
and yet we don't have videos that substantially detail aspects of multiplayer, perks, character customization, etc. They showed a few level runs, but with player invincibibilty turned on, aside from the oil rig, but those were from E3 and PAX. The "new" trailer that went up recently is in fact just an on-screen version of the E3 trailer, which explains why the game logo at the end of the video does not match the current one.

Sega is in charge of doing the major promotion this time, and they are being quiet considering that Con2 comes out the middle of February. Has anyone seen magazine or internet ads on this yet? I get that may want to avoid the overhyping as was done with the first game (but still a solid shooter) but they also have to consider that strong Wii competition in the genre exists now. Of course, I am referring to Goldeneye and Black Ops. One that has a nostalgic legacy and the other that is part of the biggest name in the FPS genre right now. Both, I'm sure have outsold the original Conduit's numbers. Unless Sega starts promoting soon, Goldeneye/COD Wii players are not going to have incentives to switch or buy Con2, geez much less try it out.

The other reason is that there are a number of players who understandily due to the hype got a bit burned by the 1st game and may be reluctant to give the sequel a try. As for myself, I enjoyed it, and still play it. But aside from the exceptional controls, the rest of the game (barring glitches and hackers) was IMO solid if only average.The graphic were good on a technical level but art design suffered. It didn't do anything really wrong, but most of it wasn't great either. I'm pretty sure it would have been a bit better recieved if HVS didn'start hyping it to the stars as the Wii action holy grail a year before it came out. But then again they had to get it noticed because of not having a publisher, self-funding the project, and developing the engine from scratch (both ambitious for a small developer). Anyway, Sega should be promoting to try to get some of these potential players back.

From everything that we currently know of or can surmise about Conduit 2, it looks like a major improvement over the orignal. With the first game out HVS has had a good foundation to rectify the first game's shortcomings, because most of the major complaints were able to be fixed. About a month after The Conduit came out, I sent HVS a 5-page report of my assessment and suggestions. By and large, most of my proposed improvements appear to be in the sequel. So in my mind, Con2 will definately be a a better game. It would be unfortunate if it sold less than the original due to lack of attention/promotion.

Sega, what are you waiting for??!!

---
PS3: Third-Drifter
Wii PES 2011: 4040 2669 3725
#2SmallerRidleyPosted 1/13/2011 1:14:41 PM

Sega, what are you waiting for??!!

For it to be less than a month to release. This isn't their first rodeo.
---
Surely there's no problem with them putting me in Brawl, right?
It's ****ing satire, damnit. My quote rocks your socks.
#3RyokoWinsPosted 1/13/2011 2:56:24 PM
Patience, young one. All shall be revealed to you soon enough.
---
I apologize for whatever I just said.
#4VermineaterPosted 1/13/2011 4:07:36 PM
I'd rather them say "Yeah, we have this, this and this, as well as some other stuff" over "Here's EVERYTHING! :D"

We know they'll have those features, and seen a basic idea of how most of it'll work. We know it's gonna be better (even based on the previews), so don't worry.
---
VE - RIer, WM Cashier, Video Game Enthusiast
Now Playing: Things...
#5shotokanjav(Topic Creator)Posted 1/13/2011 4:50:30 PM
I'm not worried that won't be better, I'm saying that due to The Conduit somewhat lukewarm reputation and the competition Sega has to start getting more potential players to notice. There are a number of people who disliked if not loathed the 1st game, and others who would normally just stick with the big name FPS games.

HVS has the foundation, and from what I've seen and read, they really took the critisms of the first game to task, and made a real effort to correct them. Conduit 2 will be a much better game, of that I have no doubt. However, it would be a shame if Sega allowed competition and to an extent the series' reputation to result in low sales. Why should that matter to us? Because the less players, the more online multiplayer suffers. Also, if HVS didn't wrap up the plot in Con2, if it sells bad less chance of Con3.

Sega has to show especially how multiplayer looks at this point to get people to pay attention, especially those already playing Goldeneye and Black Ops on the Wii. Honestly they needed to start last month at least. Why? Because both Goldeneye/COD had the luxury of holiday sales to their advantage to maximize their respective userbases. Knowing that Con2 is not in that position, it will likely be difficult to gain a substantial userbase if Sega just allows this game to release quietly. Conduit 2 is not being released under the same circumstances that the original did.
---
#6Simok123Posted 1/13/2011 4:54:59 PM
ITS NOT THE SAME FREAKING TRAILER! IT ONLY HAS SOME OF THE SAME CLIPS! WATCH BOTH AND COMPARE! THEY ARENT THE SAME EXACT THING!

And besides, we dont really need to know it that bad. Its nice to not know everything, then when the game cmes out, we'll be amazed and surprised. Although I do think they need to show us more online gamepaly now, its not that much of a biggy. I bet next month there will be loads of trailers, or at very least 2 trailers / gameplays
---
CONDUIT MASTA!, GOLDENEYE SLAYA!, AND BLACK OPS PLAYA!
#7VermineaterPosted 1/13/2011 4:58:49 PM
Also, the people who hate it are avoiding any info. The only thing that could change their mind is seeing good reviews (but they'd have to see it somehow since they wouldn't search for it), and ads showing those scores.
---
#8shotokanjav(Topic Creator)Posted 1/13/2011 5:10:15 PM
Simok, the only real difference I see is that the on screen version removes the text dispersed between the gameplay sequences. But the footage is old and doesn't match the most recent screenshots or videos. For example, the cutscene at the beginning of the chopper flying to the oil is outdated. Compare it to the Intro trailer (chopper flying to the rig is at the end of that video). Big difference.
---
#9shotokanjav(Topic Creator)Posted 1/13/2011 5:25:49 PM
Yeah, Vermineater, that is likely the case. Conduit 2 will however, upon release be compared to Goldeneye and Black Ops. I think that actually it should compare favorably to both of them in different ways.

I do somewhat see how the low hype at this point can work in the game's favor. If it gets good reviews not bogged down by hype it can be a real surprise by those expecting crap. As long as it doesn't get BS reviews (anyone remember GamePro's TCon review?/ That guy hated the wii itself), I think it should do fine. Hopefully the average is around 80% or above.
---
#10VermineaterPosted 1/13/2011 5:31:36 PM

GamePro's TCon review?/ That guy hated the wii itself

They didn't even give it a bad score, the guy did just ripped on it.
---