Weapon of the Day Redux: Day 5 - Hive Cannon

#21SmallerRidley(Topic Creator)Posted 3/25/2011 4:08:18 PM
So the word basically doesn't account for the logistical differences between the Hive Cannon and an actual LMG, even though they are effectively the same in the important ways?
---
Surely there's no problem with them putting me in Brawl, right?
It's ****ing satire, damnit. My quote rocks your socks.
#22The_ShaderPosted 3/25/2011 4:29:58 PM
Theres no reason for you to look too deep into it. i dont like LGM's, but i love the Hive Cannon. Thats difference enough for me. That and the actual look and characteristics of the two.
---
Sparkster returns after 16 years in..... "Rocket Knight"
My Alias for Wii Online = "Shader" Monster Hunter Tri = "Deimos"
#23SmallerRidley(Topic Creator)Posted 3/25/2011 4:41:07 PM
Fully automatic, large magazine, and high damaging rounds aren't enough characteristics to make the Hive Cannon effectively a LMG?
---
#24The_ShaderPosted 3/25/2011 5:25:05 PM(edited)
To me, a Light Machine Gun cant be carried around and fired. Thats just CoD, and its something i hate about it. They should have a couple hundred rounds inside their big bags of bullets, and the weight they have should be near unbearable.

If it has a 30-40 rounds before reloading, and reloads by a clip or a drum, its an assault rifle, not a LMG. ((My favorite drum toting assault rifle lately is the Chicago Typewriter.))

Hive Cannon has so many alien characteristics on how it looks that i just cant call it a LMG.

Hate = LMG's

Love = Hive Cannon

i'll call the Carbonizer a LMG, but not the Hive Cannon.

EDIT:
Even pistols can have mass amounts of bullets thanks to multiple Drum attachments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qwXO-KTVxk
And thats about 300 rounds. ((I have no idea, but another video says 298.. so.. i'm assuming))
---
#25SmallerRidley(Topic Creator)Posted 3/25/2011 5:29:02 PM(edited)
A heavy machine gun can't be carried around and fired. A light machine gun is just that, a lighter machine gun. An assault rifle is another step smaller, and a smg is another step smaller than that. No (edit: normal) drums hold 100 shots like the Hive Cannon, and assault rifles don't have rounds that size or do that much damage in a shot. Is it that much of a problem that the gun's human counterpart is a LMG? Chill the **** out.
---
#26The_ShaderPosted 3/25/2011 5:38:19 PM
Your making it out as if i'm upset in some sorta way dude, which i'm not.

Like the video i already posted, theres drumbs to give weapons lots of ammo.

And what makes LMG's and HMG's is not the ammo count, but the size of the bullets and their weight. HMG's have ENGINES on them to spin the barrels as they fire, your right that these cant be carried or fired. The size of the bullets that both use are said to cut people in half with just one, that and make red mist out of babies. So take in the amount of bullets they carry, with the weight of these enormous bullets, and you got yourself a soldier that is very, VERY slow moving.

The Hive Cannon's human counterpart would have to be a large magazine sub-machine gun. The smaller size ammunition types (Like the ones sub-machine guns use) are able to have magazines with ALOT of bullets in them.

That, and the smaller the bullets, the lighter the gun is. And the Hive Cannon looks to be no heavier than a Assault Rifle, and no lighter than a Sub-machine gun, so its in no way have the weight of a LMG.

its just not a fitting counterpart dude.....
---
#27gr295Posted 3/25/2011 5:39:55 PM

I like starting arguments. Ridley wins. It's the Drudge counterpart of an LMG. Large magazine, high ROF. It's mainly aesthetic differences. Like the fact that you put your hand up its ass to fire it. And it shoots explosive bugs. Same core mechanics, though.

#28gr295Posted 3/25/2011 5:43:47 PM

^ Got ninja'd. Still, the HC's bullets do seem larger than any AR's. They are at least .50 cal. Still, aesthetic differences people! Take any game with an LMG in it, and compare it to the Hive Cannon, and they're practically the same thing.

#29The_ShaderPosted 3/25/2011 6:01:47 PM(edited)
gr295 posted...
^ Got ninja'd. Still, the HC's bullets do seem larger than any AR's. They are at least .50 cal. Still, aesthetic differences people! Take any game with an LMG in it, and compare it to the Hive Cannon, and they're practically the same thing.

It fires bugs, not bullets. Bullets are made out of assorted metals and material. The bullet, the casing, and the gunpowder. They become very heavy when put en mass with a clip or magazine.

Bugs? extremely light creatures. Take a flying ant, or more accurately a wasp, and you got yourself a 'bullet' for you Hive Cannon.

And a .50 cal is one of the bigger munition rounds used to this day on machine guns and high powered sniper rifles.

Since i've stared at the size of a wasp as its stuck in a wall in The Conduit for more than 5 minutes, i can say that the wasps are nowhere near the size of a .50 caliber bullet.

EDIT:
Even if they were the same size, its a bug, very light. The weight difference is still alot.

Also, RoF doesnt amount to what type a weapon is. Theres a number of Assault Rifles and Sub-machine guns that fire extremely rapidly. The size of their munition also varies.
---