Best graphics on the Wii?

#21The_ShaderPosted 3/27/2011 9:13:09 PM
You know something has good graphics when it has...
More polygons, detailed textures, more particle effects, and animations are more detailed and elaborate.

Art Style has nothing to do with any of these.

Conduit 2 excels in Graphics, but in terms of Art Style, theres LOTS of Wii games (which we already mentioned) that are superior.
---
Sparkster returns after 16 years in..... "Rocket Knight"
My Alias for Wii Online = "Shader" Monster Hunter Tri = "Deimos"
#22Phasmatis92(Topic Creator)Posted 3/27/2011 9:34:46 PM
A game can have great tech but not great graphics, like the first Conduit.
Tech's objective, Art's subjective.
I was thinking in technical terms when I made this topic, just for the record.
#23The_ShaderPosted 3/27/2011 10:33:00 PM
Tech = Graphics
---
#24Phasmatis92(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2011 12:30:34 AM
"Graphics" is just another way of saying "visuals," both technical and artistic, but really, this is already going around in circles, let's just agree to disagree.

I'd say we've established that Conduit 2's not a contender for best art direction, so the question now is: "Is Conduit 2 the most technically impressive game on Wii?"
#25RyokoWinsPosted 3/28/2011 12:33:23 AM
Maybe it's because I know virtually nothing about the tech, but I don't see why people say that Super Mario Galaxy has such great graphics. Don't get me wrong, the game looks amazing, but I don't see a lot of polygons and all those other things. I mean, Mario in SSBB looks more graphically detailed than in SMG and nobody ever submits SSBB as a candidate for best graphics (but now that I think about it, I think it should be a candidate).
---
I apologize for whatever I just said.
#26ddd87Posted 3/28/2011 3:42:20 AM
RyokoWins posted...
Maybe it's because I know virtually nothing about the tech, but I don't see why people say that Super Mario Galaxy has such great graphics. Don't get me wrong, the game looks amazing, but I don't see a lot of polygons and all those other things. I mean, Mario in SSBB looks more graphically detailed than in SMG and nobody ever submits SSBB as a candidate for best graphics (but now that I think about it, I think it should be a candidate).

Thats because its colorful, the level design is nice, and the visuals are pretty good, for a mario game, the tech is not so important if your art style is impressive, and, if your game is E for all...
You will never see a mario game trying to look photorealistic or trying to get the most poligons or bones out of a boss character. The smash games are different, they mix the graphics with a little more realistic look for some characters, like the mario cast, also.
I wouldn't say it has THE best graphs on the console though.
And I think brawl IS often considered one of the games with the best graphics on wii.
#27Mac-LeoidPosted 3/28/2011 5:11:44 AM
Not going to split hairs on the difference between Art Style and Graphics... I'll settle for saying that the best LOOKING game I've played on the Wii so far has been Red Steel 2. Whatever technical accomplishments The Conduit's game engine boasted were badly let down by drab level design. Conduit 2 can have the highest polygon count and and all the other bells and whistles for reflection and shadows but if the design is as poor as TCon it will look rubbish.
#28Phasmatis92(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2011 5:49:29 PM
"Maybe it's because I know virtually nothing about the tech, but I don't see why people say that Super Mario Galaxy has such great graphics. Don't get me wrong, the game looks amazing, but I don't see a lot of polygons and all those other things. I mean, Mario in SSBB looks more graphically detailed than in SMG and nobody ever submits SSBB as a candidate for best graphics"

Galaxy has a deceptively high polygon count, (all those rounded edges are geometrically expensive) plenty of flashy particles effects (on coins, star bits, lumas, whenever you spin or fly, etc) shaders, (Rim shading on everything, bloom lighting, EMBM on things like water, ice, glass, dried lava, Bowser's skin and shell, etc) and other visual effects (fur, heat shimmering, persistant footprints, refractive materials, etc) and does it all at 60fps, even during some pretty hectic boss battles.

Brawl's 2.5D worlds aren't as impressive in my view.
#29The_ShaderPosted 3/28/2011 5:56:19 PM
Phasmatis92 posted...
"Maybe it's because I know virtually nothing about the tech, but I don't see why people say that Super Mario Galaxy has such great graphics. Don't get me wrong, the game looks amazing, but I don't see a lot of polygons and all those other things. I mean, Mario in SSBB looks more graphically detailed than in SMG and nobody ever submits SSBB as a candidate for best graphics"

Galaxy has a deceptively high polygon count, (all those rounded edges are geometrically expensive) plenty of flashy particles effects (on coins, star bits, lumas, whenever you spin or fly, etc) shaders, (Rim shading on everything, bloom lighting, EMBM on things like water, ice, glass, dried lava, Bowser's skin and shell, etc) and other visual effects (fur, heat shimmering, persistant footprints, refractive materials, etc) and does it all at 60fps, even during some pretty hectic boss battles.

Brawl's 2.5D worlds aren't as impressive in my view.

Totally agree, but i'm a total whore for any game with some 'bloom' in it. (Shadow of the Colossus.)

This guy summed up every bit of reason why Galaxy looks so amazing, and how it makes itself amazing.

60fps is also a necessity if your trying to make a really great game.
---
#30Phasmatis92(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2011 6:02:11 AM
^ Cheers man.

I'm also a sucker for 60fps, so I love that Nintendo holds it as a standard this gen.

That said, I'm fine with Conduit 2 running at (I think) 30fps, given that it's pushing more processor-intensive effects like normal mapping, and more complex character rigging.