What do you make of the shift in tone?

#1juno2023Posted 4/19/2011 9:47:46 PM
I should preface whatever else I may write with the admission that I have only played the first level. Does the game continue to be campy? While the first game was certainly cheesy, it wasn't intentionally-- while I'm likely in the minority, I appreciated the sci-fi/conspiracy theory storyline in the first game, teetering more towards a "hardcore" slant than an "all are welcome" approach. It just seems as if the writers were wanting to play it safe, going for something closer to "Ghostbusters" (except not nearly as funny) as opposed to "District 9" (for lack of a decent comparison).

I blame the lack of Sorbo.
---
Henshin a-go-go, baby!
#2WiiThokoPosted 4/19/2011 10:46:59 PM
I also liked the campaign of the first game way better, based on what I've seen from Conduit 2. It had superior voice actors and a better storyline. I haven't played Conduit 2 yet, but does it even mention "The Bug" from the opening cutscene of Conduit 1? Conduit 2 seems like "herp derp go find Mr. Adams all around the world"
#3SupahShnipaPosted 4/19/2011 11:00:53 PM
while I'm likely in the minority, I appreciated the sci-fi/conspiracy theory storyline in the first game, teetering more towards a "hardcore" slant than an "all are welcome" approach.
I'm with you here. I loved the dark, conspiracy theme of the original.
---
www.youtube.com/Pur3Aw3Gaming
#4Icuras08Posted 4/19/2011 11:03:49 PM
I wonder how you'd react to the ending...
#5cotton3434Posted 4/20/2011 12:00:16 AM
Eh... The way the plot was told in the original Conduit was ridiculously boring and difficult to get into, imo. Can't say I enjoyed it in any sense of the word.

Guess I'll find out how this is tomorrow. Expecting it to be markedly better, but not revolutionary or anything (or as good as GE's single-player... multi should make up for that, though)
---
Ashes in the Snow / Hymn to the Immortal Wind / Mono
#6Phasmatis92Posted 4/20/2011 12:42:51 AM
"It had superior voice actors and a better storyline."

See, this I don't get.
The first game's plot was sketchy at best, and the voice acting outside of Sorbo as Prometheus was dead boring. I really don't see what was so great about it, and the more knowing, light-hearted tone C2 seems much better in terms of succeeding what it sets out to do. (Whereas the original tried and failed to be serious)
#7Avatar_TaxidousPosted 4/20/2011 4:26:58 AM
I haven't tried the SP yet but yeah it doesn't interest me. Why shoot computers when you have the thrill of the Most Dangerous Game instead? But if Sorbo was still in it I'm sure I would get to the campaign quicker.
#8Phasmatis92Posted 4/20/2011 5:39:53 AM
"I haven't tried the SP yet but yeah it doesn't interest me. Why shoot computers when you have the thrill of the Most Dangerous Game instead?"

Because I can beat computers, and if I'm losing, I'm not having fun.
#9SupahShnipaPosted 4/20/2011 3:11:35 PM
I wonder how you'd react to the ending...

It sucked. This game is so short...

At least the MP is fun :P
---
www.youtube.com/Pur3Aw3Gaming
#10juno2023(Topic Creator)Posted 4/20/2011 9:11:05 PM
I suppose I should be thankful that I work most of the time and only have about a free hour or so to play this game during the week-- the single player campaign will take me a good while to finish. :)

The ominous warnings of the ending have me very concerned.

I think the best preorder bonus would be a cheat to unlock Sorbo as a voice actor for everyone in the game.

Him, or Liam Neeson. Or Morgon Freeman. Maybe even Alec Baldwin.
---
Henshin a-go-go, baby!