C3 should get rid of perks.

#1ChariloePosted 6/18/2012 2:52:59 PM
I honestly think that perks make a shooter unbalanced. It should just be you and your gun that should matter. Now this may sound contradictory because I too use perks, but playing naked in this game doesn't always work out. Sure if you're good you can get a good amount of kills without perks, but seeing how a bunch of players nowadays use the SMAW and that a naked ballistic weapon is outmatched with a double ballistic weapon you're kinda forced to use perks if you don't want to get killed a lot.

Perks sometimes boost a weapon to game breaking levels, and because of the unbalanced weapon system in this game, you're sometimes forced to use perks to defend yourself (I.E. Defending against a SMAW with Explosive Focus). Also perks are sometimes necessary to make a weapon remotely good (I.E. Capacitor with chargable weapons, stabilizer with the Strike Rifle and weapons with horrible accuracy, all of the Phase Rifle perks, etc.).

Just my two cents. Thoughts?
---
Chariloe http://www.youtube.com/user/Chariloe?feature=mhee
C2 FC: 0175-1657-6468
#2CarbonizerMikePosted 6/18/2012 3:11:31 PM
I like perks. They make the game interesting and allow me to focus on areas I want to improve. It's like having talent trees in WoW. My build can be totally different from everyone else's.

Also, if we didn't have perks, you wouldn't be able to counter an SMAW as effectively as you can now, so that's something to think about.

I say keep the perks. I like them.
---
www.youtube.com/watchmeplaynintendo
#3CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 6/18/2012 3:30:24 PM
If they return, they need to play a minority role.

Weapons should be 100% functional w/o them.
And they should have to be used as counters to others weapons and perks.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#4ssbbfreek1861Posted 6/18/2012 3:38:35 PM
Hmm, I think HVS should have a separate gamemode for that. "Ultra Hardcore FFA" No perks, no radar, no lock-on. And most importantly, no teammates." That would be an excellent new gamemode for the players with actual skill. Maybe the guys on the battle ladders could set something up like that. That would be interesting...
---
Conduit 2 fcs: Loremas (2881-4107-8480). TO^LOREMAS (0948-8186-8537). Flaming*Taco: (5071-9864-2404).
#5CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 6/18/2012 3:54:22 PM
ssbbfreek1861 posted...
Hmm, I think HVS should have a separate gamemode for that. "Ultra Hardcore FFA" No perks, no radar, no lock-on. And most importantly, no teammates." That would be an excellent new gamemode for the players with actual skill. Maybe the guys on the battle ladders could set something up like that. That would be interesting...

"Exciting game mode for players for lots of skill" = Not exciting for everybody else = nobody will join = two people who do go there think and act like they are better than everybody else and develop a complex as a result of their loneliness and complete deprivation of human interaction.

Bad Idea.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#6CheslukPosted 6/18/2012 4:00:18 PM
CHAINMAILLEKID posted...
ssbbfreek1861 posted...

I won't be able to keep up so it shouldn't be added to the game.

You could, I don't know, not play it and let those who can keep up enjoy the mode that caters to them. Ever think of that?
---
"When Chesluk thinks about penguins, he touches himself." -EmeraldAlpha
http://i.imgur.com/ZiRlv.jpg
#7Darcsen8Posted 6/18/2012 4:02:12 PM
I think that the current problems of the available perks are that they almost have little to no negative effects on usage. Only "Heavy Armor" and "Helmet" have negative effects on usage.

If the "Phase Rifle Spec". had a negative effect like that you have to fire an entire clip to One-Hit KO, than instead of 9 possible kills it would be reduced to 3 kills (with Ammo Belt it would be 5 kills), making the weapon less abusable in the long term. Forcing them to use their secondary weapon. I mean, it should consume more ammo to fire a more "powerfull" shot to One-Hit KO people.

I'm not sure about Phase Tuning, I'm one of the few I that thinks that Phase Spec. is the problem and not Phase Tuning. Without a One-Hit KO ability, the Phase Tuning will also lose in power.

If the "Ballistic Focus" gave a minor defense penalty, since you're focusing on attack, it would be more tolerable in "Ball. Focus" vs "Non-Ball. Focus" fight. If Ballistic Focus gives 10% extra damage for example, than the defense penalty should be like 3-4%.

Good Perks or at least the Main Perks should have Negative effects.

The Capacitor is only usefull for the Deatomizer, other Charge weapons do fine without it. The Strike Rifle is also fine this way, if it had better Accuracy reticule such as the Aegis Device than it would be too good. The SMAW is just making bad choices in programming it.

So for C3, they should just add the appropiate negative effect to counter-balance the huge advantages the perks give you.
#8CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 6/18/2012 4:08:01 PM
Chesluk posted...
CHAINMAILLEKID posted...
ssbbfreek1861 posted...

I won't be able to keep up so it shouldn't be added to the game.

You could, I don't know, not play it and let those who can keep up enjoy the mode that caters to them. Ever think of that?

I don't call out something as a bad Idea just because I wouldn't enjoy it.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#9HungoverHero777Posted 6/18/2012 4:11:29 PM
I really depends on which upgrades they are. Metal legs with Supercharger and SPAS 12 isn't very fair, for example.
---
While Sony and Microsoft are fighting over the trophy, Nintendo steals it. 3DS FC: 5284-1567-1470 Conduit 2 FC: 3954-7429-9873 Name=Keith
#10CheslukPosted 6/18/2012 4:14:47 PM
Darcsen8 posted...
I think that the current problems of the available perks are that they almost have little to no negative effects on usage.

Pretty much.

If the "Phase Rifle Spec". had a negative effect like that you have to fire an entire clip to One-Hit KO, than instead of 9 possible kills it would be reduced to 3 kills (with Ammo Belt it would be 5 kills), making the weapon less abusable in the long term. Forcing them to use their secondary weapon. I mean, it should consume more ammo to fire a more "powerfull" shot to One-Hit KO people.

That's actually a neat idea. Rather than upping the damage it just fires all of your rounds in one go.

I'm not sure about Phase Tuning, I'm one of the few I that thinks that Phase Spec. is the problem and not Phase Tuning. Without a One-Hit KO ability, the Phase Tuning will also lose in power.

Agreed.

If the "Ballistic Focus" gave a minor defense penalty, since you're focusing on attack, it would be more tolerable in "Ball. Focus" vs "Non-Ball. Focus" fight. If Ballistic Focus gives 10% extra damage for example, than the defense penalty should be like 3-4%.

If you just removed Ballistics/Energy Focus and made Explosive Focus defensive only, it would probably balance the Primary Upgrades fairly well.

The Capacitor is only usefull for the Deatomizer, other Charge weapons do fine without it.

The AR-C actually works really well with Capacitor.
---
"When Chesluk thinks about penguins, he touches himself." -EmeraldAlpha
http://i.imgur.com/ZiRlv.jpg