Face the facts...

#61CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 1/3/2013 7:54:58 PM
Chesluk posted...
How so? CoD is currently the only competition.

Because HVS doesn't have the best track record with the Conduit series. TCon was insanely buggy and tons of people lost interest in HVS because of it. A lot of others stuck through the bugs because they saw a lot of potential and wanted to see what came out of it in Conduit 2. Conduit 2 comes around and mixes a lot of things up, some people like it, others don't. On top of that are the large number of issues present at launch, a glitch that would make the campaign impossible to finish, multiplayer lobbies merging, balance issues that Punch made sure everyone knew about (which didn't help when potential buyers came to the board and saw "THIS IS BROKEN HVS FIX IT" for two pages). Releasing Conduit 3 now wouldn't be a good idea just because there isn't as much interest in it as there was for the first two games. Even if it went back to TCon's design in an attempt to win over the older fans, a lot of people would be still really skeptical because haven't really shown that they can code worth a damn. That's why HVS needs to hold off on C3 and release something else in the meantime to show what they can do. The Grinder is a great option because there's much more interest in it than there is in another Conduit at the moment. As much as people got pissed off at TCon/C2, a lot of them still want The Grinder to come out. Releasing a polished TCon for download would just be an easy way to make money, since a ton of people would've bought C2 if it was just a patchable TCon. Spruce up the graphics, maybe add in some C2 stuff like character customization and some of the new game modes (annexation, powersurge, ASE basketball) and it'd probably sell really well.

Don't think that's how it works.
Besides, HVS really doesn't even have that bad of a reputation.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#62games1256Posted 1/3/2013 7:59:46 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#63games1256Posted 1/3/2013 8:01:49 PM
CHAINMAILLEKID posted...
Chesluk posted...

Because HVS doesn't have the best track record with the Conduit series. TCon was insanely buggy and tons of people lost interest in HVS because of it. A lot of others stuck through the bugs because they saw a lot of potential and wanted to see what came out of it in Conduit 2. Conduit 2 comes around and mixes a lot of things up, some people like it, others don't. On top of that are the large number of issues present at launch, a glitch that would make the campaign impossible to finish, multiplayer lobbies merging, balance issues that Punch made sure everyone knew about (which didn't help when potential buyers came to the board and saw "THIS IS BROKEN HVS FIX IT" for two pages). Releasing Conduit 3 now wouldn't be a good idea just because there isn't as much interest in it as there was for the first two games. Even if it went back to TCon's design in an attempt to win over the older fans, a lot of people would be still really skeptical because haven't really shown that they can code worth a damn. That's why HVS needs to hold off on C3 and release something else in the meantime to show what they can do. The Grinder is a great option because there's much more interest in it than there is in another Conduit at the moment. As much as people got pissed off at TCon/C2, a lot of them still want The Grinder to come out. Releasing a polished TCon for download would just be an easy way to make money, since a ton of people would've bought C2 if it was just a patchable TCon. Spruce up the graphics, maybe add in some C2 stuff like character customization and some of the new game modes (annexation, powersurge, ASE basketball) and it'd probably sell really well.

HVS does have a bad reputation outside of the small following of the conduit 2 board. Ask on any Nintendo forum what people think of HVS.
#64Hawke0Posted 1/3/2013 8:02:30 PM
Chesluk posted...
a ton of people would've bought C2 if it was just a patchable TCon.

a few thousand people at best.
---
now playing Metroid, Castlevania III, Punch Out, and StarTropics.
Super Mario Bros Lost Levels>World>3
#65B05S_BrennanPosted 1/3/2013 8:18:27 PM
games1256 posted...
CHAINMAILLEKID posted...
Chesluk posted...

HVS does have a bad reputation outside of the small following of the conduit 2 board. Ask on any Nintendo forum what people think of HVS.

Most of them are wannabe critiques trying to find a game with a fanbase small enough to hear themselves call a game "mediocre" (like one of the big boy critiques!) without getting flamed.
---
(>^.^)>http://conduitwii.boards.net/<(^.^<)
#66games1256Posted 1/3/2013 8:28:25 PM
Or you know they hated the conduit after how alot of people hyped up the game to be much more then it was.
#67_SignalPosted 1/3/2013 8:42:29 PM
I would be willing to assert that the success or failure of almost any game relies alot more on marketing than any positive or negative impression that the "informed" few may have about the games developer and publisher.

I couldn't name the third party developers for most of the games I own, and I'd say the average gamer that hasn't watched the opening splash screen a thousand times couldn't do it either.

MHTri, I can't name it.
Speed Racer, I can't name it.
Endless Ocean, I cant name it.
Assassins Creed 3, I can't name it.
All the Lego games, I can't name it.
Tron Evolution, I can't name it.
Agatha Chrisite games, I can't name it.

And the list goes on.

I would also be wiling to bet that most people that own BOPS2 could not have named the publisher before they purchased the game. Sure, we all know it. Everyone on the BOPS2 board knows it. If you want to "Face the Facts," admit to yourself that we are in the minority. Most gamers don't come here, and it's arrogance on our part to assume that they do. But the hundreds or even thousands of moms and dads and grandmas and grandpas and aunts and uncles that bought the game for someone else for Christmas, they have no idea who the publisher was, or what kind of reputation they have, nor do they care. At most, these people spend two minutes looking at the reviews at Amazon, and that's it.

The truth is that it's all about Marketing.

It's impossible to avoid seeing some kind of advertising for BOPS2. There's a huge stand up thingy at Gamestop. It's likely to be a pop up ad that you'll see here sometime tonight. There are T-shirts and hats.

Marketing costs money and Sega didn't want to spend it.

Sorry to be so longwinded.
---
Conduit2FC(36): 0518 8427 1877
#68xXAISPXxPosted 1/3/2013 8:47:49 PM
Scribblenauts unlimited.
---
TCon-{AISP FC: 3954-8764-7672}
Con2-{AISP FC: 4083-8526-7529 HC-AISP FC: 4642-7312-4915}
#69_SignalPosted 1/3/2013 8:56:22 PM
xXAISPXx posted...
Scribblenauts unlimited.

Haha, yeah, I have that one and can't name the dev either.
---
Conduit2FC(36): 0518 8427 1877
#70VintageRonJohnPosted 1/3/2013 9:46:19 PM
_Signal posted...
I would be willing to assert that the success or failure of almost any game relies alot more on marketing than any positive or negative impression that the "informed" few may have about the games developer and publisher.

I couldn't name the third party developers for most of the games I own, and I'd say the average gamer that hasn't watched the opening splash screen a thousand times couldn't do it either.

MHTri, I can't name it.
Speed Racer, I can't name it.
Endless Ocean, I cant name it.
Assassins Creed 3, I can't name it.
All the Lego games, I can't name it.
Tron Evolution, I can't name it.
Agatha Chrisite games, I can't name it.

[Spot-on commentary about marketing, edited for length]

I started typing up what I thought would be an impressive list of the ones I know by heart, but I'm going to share the ones I couldn't get:

Call of Duty 3 (Wii): Was it Treyarch?
SSX Blur: published by EA I think, no idea on developer
Gears of War 1 & 2: Epic Games is publisher or developer, not sure which.
Superman Returns (X360): bargain bin, Christmas
The Golden Compass (X360): bargain bin, Christmas
Every console version of Pokemon (I'd forgotten and just looked that up).
Dead or Alive Dimensions
---
Conduit 2: RonJohn 3868-8419-8160 [D-S]Jolt 4986-1435-0700
The Conduit: RonJohn 3309-2472-4741