Why do most people on this board hate CoD

#11VintageRonJohnPosted 12/31/2012 6:11:53 PM
Against my better judgement, I'll give you a serious answer to your question.

I don't really object to the game play itself. I own Call of Duty 2, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, and Call of Duty 5: World at War for Xbox 360. I own Call of Duty 3 on the Wii. I enjoyed the gameplay for a while, but I got annoyed with buying the same game over and over.

Even that's not so bad--Madden football does not interfere with my life in any meaningful way. What bothers me about Call of Duty is the way that the developers of other franchises see fit to chase Call of Duty fans by making their games more and more like Call of Duty. CoDification, if you will. Brad Welch, Halo 4's multiplayer designer, said, “You’re going to start off as a recruit, and proceed through the ranks. As you rank up, you’ll unlock more abilities. You gain Spartan points, which you can use to purchase items to put in your loadouts. You can construct these loadouts around your preferred playstyle."

That poops on everything I used to love about Halo. I'm glad people like Call of Duty, I just want other, distinct shooters to exist. And right now they're having trouble doing it because of that big pile of cash Activision rakes in every year.
---
Conduit 2: RonJohn 3868-8419-8160 [D-S]Jolt 4986-1435-0700
The Conduit: RonJohn 3309-2472-4741
#12TheOmegaShenPosted 12/31/2012 6:12:47 PM
Hawke0 posted...
I'd like to add that I don't just dislike CoD, I also dislike other boring slow paced linear set piece hand holding 'shooters', like BF.

But I love BF3...
---
Conduit 2: 2838-6032-4718
Casshern Sins
#13CynralKynathelPosted 12/31/2012 6:13:02 PM
Hawke0 posted...
*head scratching* Why can't any of you play CoD?

You're joking, right?
---
Pseudo-official Co-'Pun'-isher of the Conduit 2 Board. Free-Lancer clan FTW! Too bad you can't join.
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/23206541.jpg
#14Hawke0Posted 12/31/2012 6:14:57 PM
TheOmegaShen posted...
Hawke0 posted...
I'd like to add that I don't just dislike CoD, I also dislike other boring slow paced linear set piece hand holding 'shooters', like BF.

But I love BF3...

You like the multiplayer, right? I'm referring to single player. I've played the MP and had some fun running people over in jeeps.
---
now playing Metroid, Castlevania III, Punch Out, and StarTropics.
Super Mario Bros Lost Levels>World>3
#15Hawke0Posted 12/31/2012 6:15:15 PM
CynralKynathel posted...
Hawke0 posted...

You're joking, right?

No.
---
now playing Metroid, Castlevania III, Punch Out, and StarTropics.
Super Mario Bros Lost Levels>World>3
#16old_man_mossyPosted 12/31/2012 6:15:19 PM
VintageRonJohn posted...
Against my better judgement, I'll give you a serious answer to your question.

I don't really object to the game play itself. I own Call of Duty 2, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, and Call of Duty 5: World at War for Xbox 360. I own Call of Duty 3 on the Wii. I enjoyed the gameplay for a while, but I got annoyed with buying the same game over and over.

Even that's not so bad--Madden football does not interfere with my life in any meaningful way. What bothers me about Call of Duty is the way that the developers of other franchises see fit to chase Call of Duty fans by making their games more and more like Call of Duty. CoDification, if you will. Brad Welch, Halo 4's multiplayer designer, said, “You’re going to start off as a recruit, and proceed through the ranks. As you rank up, you’ll unlock more abilities. You gain Spartan points, which you can use to purchase items to put in your loadouts. You can construct these loadouts around your preferred playstyle."

That poops on everything I used to love about Halo. I'm glad people
like Call of Duty, I just want other, distinct shooters to exist. And right now they're having trouble doing it because of that big pile of cash Activision rakes in every year.

I enjoyed this post. I personally found a lot of truth in it.
---
"Insurrection is the most sacred of the rights and the most idispensible of duties" - Marquis de La Fayette
#17XG4LegendPosted 12/31/2012 6:16:29 PM
CoD doesn't have lock-on
---
C2 FC: 1936-6554-9264 [XG4Legend]
4313-9136-3240 [Savage*]
#18TheOmegaShenPosted 12/31/2012 6:16:55 PM
Hawke0 posted...
TheOmegaShen posted...
Hawke0 posted...

But I love BF3...

You like the multiplayer, right? I'm referring to single player. I've played the MP and had some fun running people over in jeeps.

Yeah.

Campaign does suck though.
---
Conduit 2: 2838-6032-4718
Casshern Sins
#19Hu1kSmAshPosted 12/31/2012 6:17:44 PM
Hawke0 posted...

Parents :(
---
An Invincible Sniper Professional
My FC: 4083-8526-7529
#20_SignalPosted 12/31/2012 6:35:03 PM
I've only played MW3 on the Wii and Playstation, so I can't really talk about any of the other entries.

I enjoyed MW3's multiplayer for a little while, a month or two, but eventually the narrow camera field of view just wore me down. I got tired of walking right past someone who then just shot me in the back. All the 90 degree angles in the maps seem to make this situation worse.

While it's true that I could get kills the same way, that didn't make me feel any better when it happened to me, LOL.
---
Conduit2FC(36): 0518 8427 1877