Some suggestions regarding scheduled matches

#1_SignalPosted 2/19/2013 6:57:41 PM
As one of the middle children of the board, I wanted to offer some advice regarding scheduled matches.

Before I do that however, I want to emphasize that this is not intended as a criticism of anyone in particular, especially Easter, who tried his best to arrange and host the FFA on Sunday, but fate conspired against him and it didn't go off as planned.

I also don't want people to think I'm coming off as a know-it-all on this topic. I realize that lots of you have way more gaming experience than I do, I'm just offering some advice, you can take it or leave it.

I would like to point out that it's often difficult to find a time when everyone can participate, and it's understandable that things do come up which mess up the plans. All you have to do is look at the thread for Sunday's FFA and you'll see that within a two hour window I cancelled and then was back in, LOL.

Ok, first some ideas for the host:

1. Make sure that you have entered everyone's FC ahead of time. There are several reasons for this, most importantly, it's stressful enough hosting a big match and the last thing you want to have to worry about right before the match starts is getting someone's FC entered. I was adding people about an hour before the match and a couple of the FCs that I entered were invalid. If you wait until the last minute, there's nothing you can do about this, however, if you've done it two or three days in advance, you have time to p.m. the individuals and get it sorted out.

2. Check the thread frequently and bump it often. Follow it closely the day before the match and the day of the match, especially just before the match is supposed to begin (more about this later).

3. Get online and in the private match lobby about 15 minutes before the match is scheduled to begin. It settles peoples nerves when they get on and see that the host is already online. Everyone is keyed up already and wanting to do their best, so people start to freak out when they don't see the host online at the designated time.

Ideas for the participants:

1. Everyone should add every other participant's friend code. Sometimes the match turns out to be really laggy with the original intended host. If everyone has everyone added, it's trivial for someone else to host.

2. Show up on time. Actually, show up a few minutes early if you can. If the match is supposed to start at 1, don't start getting online at 1. You're late already. I understand that sometimes you can't be early, but if you can, be early. Don't be that person that's always late. This gives you time to do any final edits of your loadouts and play a warmup match if you wish.

3. Monitor the match thread for updates the day of the thread and especially just before the match. Be sure to post if you're going to be late or can't make it.

One final thought:

Use a chat for communicating just before and during the matches.

The best way to guarantee that everything will go off smoothly is to have good communication. While it is possible to communicate through the match thread during the match, this is really a slow and cumbersome method of communication because it requires a lot of clicking to read and respond.

There are at least two chats currently available to us. Aiden still has his chat running at his site:

http://conduitwii.boards.net/index.cgi

and there is also the current mibbit chat:

http://tiny.cc/ruulrw

Anyway, these are just a few suggestions to make things run more smoothly. Please comment.
---
Conduit2FC(36): 3354-2948-5226
#2xXAISPXxPosted 2/19/2013 7:00:02 PM
Hopefully this will change something. What do you mean by a chat?
---
TCon-{AISP FC: 3954-8764-7672}
Con2-{AISP FC: 4083-8526-7529 HC-AISP FC: 4642-7312-4915}
#3_Signal(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2013 7:05:08 PM
xXAISPXx posted...
Hopefully this will change something. What do you mean by a chat?

I listed two text-based chat sites that this forum has used in the past. Basically it's a site that let's everyone see what everyone else types, not quite in real-time, but as soon as the person presses return.

The best way to describe it if you've never used one is that it's like sending a group text.
---
#41PefrogPosted 2/19/2013 7:10:30 PM
Good suggestions Signal.

We might think about overbooking too. Like airlines. Overbook and expect to have some not show. For 3v3 maybe have 4 people lined up on each team and one person knows that they are the 'alternate'.
#5_Signal(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2013 7:26:03 PM
1Pefrog posted...
Good suggestions Signal.

We might think about overbooking too. Like airlines. Overbook and expect to have some not show. For 3v3 maybe have 4 people lined up on each team and one person knows that they are the 'alternate'.

Overbooking is also a good idea. I didn't think of that.
---