HVS was ahead of their time with Conduit 2's arcade feel

#1_SignalPosted 5/8/2013 11:06:23 PM
I saw this story today, which reminded me how much ahead of their time HVS was with Conduit 2 by not relying on the gore and so-called realistic violence prevalent in many other FPS.

I think this is important and relevant to C2 because of how different C2 is from the mainstream, and how mainstream culture seems to want to embrace those games that are much more graphic and violent. We so often choose style over substance.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/05/07/video-game-maker-drops-gun-makers-not-their-guns

For those of you that don't want to read it, the synopsis is, that in the wake of the Newtown shootings, the NRA has sort of condemned the video game industry, and gun makers are pulling away from the videogame industry and some will no longer license the use of images of their guns in games.

It also sounds like EA plans to continue using the gunmaker's images without their permission, and just violate copyright law. I'm sure EA feels differently when the copyright law is protecting their product.

Here's an excerpt:

Put another way, EA is asserting a constitutional free speech right to use trademarks without permission in its ever-more-realistic games.

Legal experts say there isn’t a single case so far where gun companies have sued video game companies for using branded guns without a license.

But EA’s legal theory is now being tested in court. Aircraft maker Bell Helicopter, a unit of Textron Inc, has argued that Electronic Arts’ depiction of its helicopters in “Battlefield” was beyond fair use and amounted to a trademark infringement. EA preemptively went to court, suing Bell Helicopter to settle the issue.

I guess we'll see who's more powerful, the people that make the guns or the people that make the games.

I think the whole realism argument is silly anyway. This is what makes C2 so great. How realistic is it that you're fighting from your sofa with your feet up, flanked by a bag of Doritos on the left and Orange Soda on the right!

"I said watch your flank soldier!!"
---
Conduit2FC(36): 3354-2948-5226
#2LigersRulePosted 5/8/2013 11:46:59 PM
Wait a- ... Ok, I'm positive I already posted in this topic. I'm so confused.

I'm going to go... lie down... for a little while.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/LigsGames
#3PUNCHOUT1116Posted 5/9/2013 12:00:49 AM
I think I'm tired of shooters period :/
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ, have accepted Him as your Lord and Savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
#4Rybuger1Posted 5/9/2013 3:08:31 PM
LigersRule posted...
Wait a- ... Ok, I'm positive I already posted in this topic. I'm so confused.

I'm going to go... lie down... for a little while.

Me too. The Adjustment Bureau changed everything while we were gone! D-:

:-P
---
Play it loud, gamers.
#5_Signal(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2013 7:48:13 PM
Nobody freak out.

Apparently I forgot to mention Conduit 2 in the title of the thread or in the original post and it got marked as off topic and moderated.

It's funny, you would think that it would have been obvious that it was related to C2 since the thread was about the FPS genre, which C2 belongs to, but I suppose it's possible that a moderator might not know that.

Anyway, I think it's interesting that we might see a move in all FPS games to be more like Conduit and Conduit 2. LOL, then we can say, yeah, that's a C2 ripoff.
---
Conduit2FC(36): 3354-2948-5226
#6Rybuger1Posted 5/10/2013 6:25:02 AM
In that case, I'll re-post the article I linked to before: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/05/no-ea-wont-license-guns-in-its-2013-games-but-it-never-has/

Long story short, no game developer has ever paid to license the names of guns. EA is just trying to present themselves in a good light after winning their second Golden Poo. The whole thing's a non-story.
---
Play it loud, gamers.