Punchs Poll of the Day: Day 104 - Think we'll ever see another console Conduit?

#11xXAISPXxPosted 5/16/2013 1:07:46 PM
Chariloe posted...
No. HVS needs to establish what Conduit is. Conduit 2 showed that HVS has no idea what they want to do with the Conduit series as they're drastically different from each other. If the original Conduit weapons weren't in the game, I would assume that Conduit 2 is an entirely new game as opposed to a sequel. The only thing that could save the series is a complete reboot. Until they do this, I don't see another Console Conduit ever coming out.

Indeed The Conduit and Conduit 2 were different in many ways, but not so drastically to not be considered a sequel. New technology and updated tricks gave HVS more options, which they took, making Conduit 2 different from its predecessor. I'm not sure if you mean another Conduit game would be an indirect sequel, but the game would always be at some degree a sequel...
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/xXAISPXx?feature=mhee
Currently Playing: Conduit 2, [Wii]Goldeneye007, SSBB, The Conduit, Mario Kart Wii
#12ChariloePosted 5/17/2013 8:58:57 AM(edited)
CarbonizerMike posted...
Chariloe posted...
No. HVS needs to establish what Conduit is. Conduit 2 showed that HVS has no idea what they want to do with the Conduit series as they're drastically different from each other. If the original Conduit weapons weren't in the game, I would assume that Conduit 2 is an entirely new game as opposed to a sequel. The only thing that could save the series is a complete reboot. Until they do this, I don't see another Console Conduit ever coming out.

I disagree with this. Conduit 1 was broken. Far more broken than this game (putting lag aside). Bunny hopping. Grenade spamming. Overpowered USP45. Letting people vote on others' weapons. Camping near ammo caches. The game is aggravating to say the least.

Conduit 2 fixed a lot of these problems. It made bunny hopping less useful and more manageable if you wanted to combat it. Grenade spamming was gone. USP45 was more properly balanced. No one could vote on my weapons and force a 20 minute marathon of glitched explosives.

Conduit 2 did retain important features from the first game. It retained the hip firing mechanics, the sci-fi theme and the weapons (some of the weapons, like the Deatomizer and Strike Rifle, weren't as good, and that's fair enough to argue). You could still jump and effectively traverse maps. It added a hardcore playlist so no one could complain about lock-on.

As for the story and the whole Duke Ford thing, I don't give a damn about that or the story. Remove Duke Ford or bring him back - I don't really care. Just come up with interesting level designs where I can make interesting choices (do I let the guard trip the alarm and then try to mow everyone down or do I try to stealth past everyone?).

While I respect your opinion I do have to say that I'm not just talking about the multiplayer and campaign specifically, I'm talking about the game as a whole. Conduit 2 feels completely different from TCon. It has a much different tone, so different that it doesn't really feel related to TCon. The overall gameplay feels extremely different from the first game. Firing at the hip is really inaccurate due to bloom while at least with TCon you knew where your shots were going. The music is also different, and believe it or not, the story is crucial to telling the game's identity. Games like Call of Duty don't require a story since it's established that the game is mainly about the multi-player, but seeing how TCon was originally going to be just a Campaign, it was mostly about the story. The multiplayer was basic, and it had room for innovation. Instead, HVS completely changed everything right down to the reticules. Now, I'm not saying that HVS didn't fix much, but I feel like they got carried away and changed everything so much that the game feels like an experiment. If you're going to make a sequel, make it consistent with the original to not alienate the fans of the original game. That's what C2 did wrong, and the majority of The Conduit series' fanbase disappeared. Making another console Conduit game won't help since much of the Original fanbase has long since disappeared. The fanbase was already rocky with its thoughts being a mixed bag. The future of the game could only go up from there, and the fanbase would be more streamlined. However, C2 failed to accomplish this, and the only thing that could possibly warrant a new console game is a reboot IMO.
---
Chariloe http://www.youtube.com/user/Chariloe?feature=mhee
#13CarbonizerMikePosted 5/17/2013 9:33:11 AM
That original game had a mixed reception, as you already noted. And it only sold 350,000 units. So it's unclear whether people didn't migrate to Conduit 2 because of gameplay differences or because they were flat out disappointed with the first game and didn't want the second one. There was also increased competition from Call of Duty and Goldeneye between the release of Conduit 1 and 2. Both Call of Duty and Goldeneye outsold the original Conduit (Black Ops alone sold around 500,000 - at least - just in the U.S. on the Wii).

The story doesn't matter because the original game didn't have that great of a campaign to begin with. But again, I don't disagree with going serious again for the tone. I don't really care.

The Conduit may have started out as a single player game, but like Goldeneye on the N64, the tacked-on multiplayer is what it became known for.

And Call of Duty probably does have a better campaign than Conduit, so I'd say any story factor applies equally to that series.

Hip firing actually appears better in this game, in some instances anyway. I've noticed that the MP5 seems to have a farther range in this game than the first one. And the Carbonizer is easier to use too because of Motion Plus and a better reticule.

Also, bloom was a good thing because it counteracted bunny hopping quite well.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watchmeplaynintendo (Actual game captures - no emulators)
#14Hawke0Posted 5/17/2013 4:59:11 PM
In the first game, couldn't lock on be used as an aimbot?
---
Armstrong/Monsoon 2016
#15B05S_BrennanPosted 5/17/2013 7:09:11 PM
Hawke0 posted...
In the first game, couldn't lock on be used as an aimbot?

And can you imagine someone with a turbo button?
---
"Wait, why would you be talking to a marshmallow about Brennan?" -HungoverHero777
(>^.^)>http://conduitwii.boards.net/<(^.^<)
#16_SignalPosted 5/17/2013 8:35:11 PM
One of the many problems with C2 sales were the repeated release delays.

I remember first it was coming out in November. Then January or Feb, then it finally came out in April or something right?

By the time it actually came out, we had actually totally forgotten about it. That's why we didn't get it at release.
---
The Wii Shooter Unleashed! Wooof! Wooof!
Conduit2FC(36): 3354-2948-5226