I like this game, but...

#71Hawke0Posted 5/23/2013 10:29:09 PM
like2nap posted...
Hawke0 posted...

RS2 was single player only, and it was more glitchy than Conduit 2's campaign. Ninja Mode seems to cause more glitches, or maybe it's just bad luck. Because I'm halfway through a Ninja Mode/No upgrades/No using The Tiger playthrough, and I've encountered AI breaking in the hammer wielding enemies, and audio glitches are more common. Throughout my five and a half playthroughs, I've encountered audio glitches, the screen edges getting frozen black for five minutes (only once), I've gotten stuck in environments three times, and I've fallen out of the world twice. In Conduit 2, the only notable campaign glitch I experienced was falling out of the world once. They still aren't common in RS2 at all, but for all the complaining you do about C2 you seem willing to turn a blind eye to RS2's glitches.

I haven't run into them. I can't complain about something I haven't seen. I only fell through the world 2 times. That's it. I never had any other problems. If I had those issues I would mention them. The cursor was twitchy on the menu screen sometimes too. Like if you let it sit there for so long it would move on it's own. Which was kinda weird, but it didn't effect the game play.

Maybe it was my bad luck, but when I played C2 I ran into glitches all the time. I also played from launch onward and dealt with everything as it was being patched. Glitches and all the wacky balancing issues. C2 also had a lot of lag (and still does apparently) which I hate, and was severely lacking in the controller customization department. Something I also didn't like. Those are just pet peeves though. I don't like glitches, lag, or bad controls. C2 had all 3. I don't like that. Other people can put up with that stuff better than I can. Which is why I don't understand why people get upset when I mention them. Those issues are there. They exists. And I don't like them. No reason for someone to get upset about it..

Saying that Conduit 2 had 'bad' controls is ridiculous. They weren't as good as the more recent CoD games, but it objectively had a great deal of customization options, and sniping beat the CoD games easily (although CoD had much, much better iron sight aiming). C2 beats every dual analog shooter, Metroid Prime 3, Red Steel 2, TCon, MoH:H2, and Goldeneye Wii as far as controls go; Saying C2's controls are bad is like saying Metroid Prime 3 is a bad game because it's not as good as Prime 1. C2 has more control customization options than 99.9% of all console shooters.

Lag? I have a great connection and live in the Northwest, and 70% of my games have had no to minor lag. about 5% were completely unbearable, 10% were pretty bad, and 15% were irritating. Usually, a bunch of other people would disconnect and everything would go back to normal. It's clear that it varies wildly, and no one should state that it does/doesn't have lag; there are too many variables and too many varying levels of lag to state as a fact that it does or doesn't have severe lag. One reason people may get mad when you assert that it has such horrible lag is that they have no problem.

I got C2 post patch, and encountered few glitches in the campaign. Invasions glitches and the broken Skimmer AI are inexcusably bad, but glitches were uncommon in non laggy online games (I'd place glitchy games at 10%-15%). It's certainly sub par in QA, but in my experience it wasn't nearly as bad as yours.

This is why I included a note in my review that peoples experiences with lag and freezing varied.
---
Armstrong/Monsoon 2016
#72CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 5/23/2013 10:37:18 PM
I hated red steel 2.

One of the worst games in my collection IMO.

Objectively worst than Con2, because there were quantitatively more things about it that I disliked.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#73Hawke0Posted 5/23/2013 10:43:14 PM
Are you seriously saying it's terrible, or just trying to be ironic?
---
Armstrong/Monsoon 2016
#74ReedeemerPosted 5/23/2013 11:11:14 PM
like2nap posted...
I keep saying it too. HVS laid some groundwork. Put HVS up with Retro, or Nintendo, or a little of both, and you'll get a beautiful thing.

Idk man. I really enjoyed C1 & C2, but if we never see C3-- HVS will pretty much be out of my book. I really hope they pursue that because I have no interest in most of their other works anymore, and the way they're going now they will live on, but its going to be in the mobile store :\
---
WiiU: rZetro
PSN: Zetro-X ::: 3DS: 1118-0389-0873
#75ReedeemerPosted 5/23/2013 11:25:10 PM
As for the topic and TC...

Dude, we've been here since before this game came out, hahaha. We're well aware of all the problems, but this game is just too cool to not play c[; We're not being bliss, its just that theres no point in complaining, so why do it? :o

At this point in the game's life, everything that is to be discussed, has been discussed. Actually, we pretty much discussed everything the first few months of the game haha. If a new discussion comes up now its from a new player that doesn't like the search function :P

We know HVS won't revisit this game, so at this point its just whether or not you like playing this game. This is the closest thing to what would imo be the best FPS, so the question now is if you're willing to put up with the (few) problems to have some fun.

tl;dr: veterans ftw (woot woot!), play more WoW
---
#76CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 5/23/2013 11:27:17 PM
Hawke0 posted...
Are you seriously saying it's terrible, or just trying to be ironic?

I'm seriously saying I didn't like it.

I'm being silly for the rest of it.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#77ReedeemerPosted 5/23/2013 11:34:36 PM
I never finished Red Steel 2 :( couldn't get into it, and I bought Mario Party 9 at the same time so... lets just say I was partying more often than I was slashing
---
#78CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 5/23/2013 11:46:23 PM(edited)
Here's my red steel 2 video if anybody is curious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f60tHegq7MQ

My main complaints are the difficulty, controls, some underlying things like the world layout and design. The way the combat did not allow you to be creative, only allowing you to do damage when you use the "Right" attack, and having it automatically blocked ( even when the animations did not match ) if you used any other attack. Even when you CLEARLY had an opening.
And lastly, and the biggest reason... The stupid philosophy of the creative director.

I watched this big presentation he made at the GDC after the game came out... Oh my gosh.
The whole time he was talking about how players didn't not now how to swing a sword. That he had all of this difficulty that he had to endure, such steadfast resolve because...
People played the game wrong.

When you give people the game, they play it wrong.
They swing the sword wrong.

And I'm like... No.
If the game doesn't work because the player isn't swinging the sword in your special way, it doesn't mean that they are "Playing wrong".
It means you are developing wrong.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#79like2napPosted 5/23/2013 11:52:07 PM
Hawke0 posted...

Saying that Conduit 2 had 'bad' controls is ridiculous. They weren't as good as the more recent CoD games, but it objectively had a great deal of customization options, and sniping beat the CoD games easily (although CoD had much, much better iron sight aiming). C2 beats every dual analog shooter, Metroid Prime 3, Red Steel 2, TCon, MoH:H2, and Goldeneye Wii as far as controls go; Saying C2's controls are bad is like saying Metroid Prime 3 is a bad game because it's not as good as Prime 1. C2 has more control customization options than 99.9% of all console shooters..

IIt's certainly sub par in QA, but in my experience it wasn't nearly as bad as yours.

Like I said. Bad luck. I ran into glitches all the time in MP, just not the campaign. Again I got it at launch though. You ran into more in Red Steel 2 than I did. It happens.

Lag does vary per person. For me it was bad and I couldn't seem to make it better no matter how much tweaking I did. I'd say about half of my matches lagged like crazy while the other half was pretty good. I hate lag. I know it's unavoidable, but that doesn't make me enjoy it any more. I recently got a connection upgrade though and have been tempted to buy the game again to try it out. For me lag just makes everything else harder to put up with. It's a huge pet peeve regardless of what causes it. If it didn't lag so much (for me) the glitches would have been easier to deal with.

The controls need more options. Again, this is a pet peeve thing. It's not on par with COD as you said and I think it should be. I like as many options as possible and there's no excuse not to have them. Golden Eye had more options if I remember correctly. Red Steel 2 only had hipfire and ADS wasn't needed. I also don't like comparing it because it was also a sword fighting game and didn't have MP. It's controls were great though.

C2's controls weren't bad, I just would have like them to be better. The hipfire was great and that's what you use most of the time, but the ADS was just broken. Again, this would have been easier to deal with if it didn't lag so bad for me.

It's the combination of those 3 things that made me not like the game. Those are pet peeves of mine and I'm very picky about them. I'm also far from being alone. These are reasons why the game didn't sell very well.

I find it silly that people get so worked up and defensive when you point out the flaws in this game.
#80like2napPosted 5/24/2013 12:14:21 AM
Ok. So since I said I will also gladly praise what I like about a game, and what it got right, and because I don't often talk about what I like about C2, I decided to make a list of reasons why I liked it.

I typed the whole thing out and right when I clicked submit my internet cut out, I had to reboot the router, and I lost the whole thing. And my bulldog just farted while she was sleeping so I have to get out of this room and I can't take the laptop with me (battery issue). It's late, I only have one day off this week (tomorrow) and I want to get some gaming time in so I'm not retyping all that tonight. Plus I can't breathe right now. I'll try to post it tomorrow.