I like this game, but...

#81Hawke0Posted 5/24/2013 7:02:45 AM
like2nap posted...
Hawke0 posted...

Saying that Conduit 2 had 'bad' controls is ridiculous. They weren't as good as the more recent CoD games, but it objectively had a great deal of customization options, and sniping beat the CoD games easily (although CoD had much, much better iron sight aiming). C2 beats every dual analog shooter, Metroid Prime 3, Red Steel 2, TCon, MoH:H2, and Goldeneye Wii as far as controls go; Saying C2's controls are bad is like saying Metroid Prime 3 is a bad game because it's not as good as Prime 1. C2 has more control customization options than 99.9% of all console shooters..

IIt's certainly sub par in QA, but in my experience it wasn't nearly as bad as yours.

Like I said. Bad luck. I ran into glitches all the time in MP, just not the campaign. Again I got it at launch though. You ran into more in Red Steel 2 than I did. It happens.

Lag does vary per person. For me it was bad and I couldn't seem to make it better no matter how much tweaking I did. I'd say about half of my matches lagged like crazy while the other half was pretty good. I hate lag. I know it's unavoidable, but that doesn't make me enjoy it any more. I recently got a connection upgrade though and have been tempted to buy the game again to try it out. For me lag just makes everything else harder to put up with. It's a huge pet peeve regardless of what causes it. If it didn't lag so much (for me) the glitches would have been easier to deal with.

The controls need more options. Again, this is a pet peeve thing. It's not on par with COD as you said and I think it should be. I like as many options as possible and there's no excuse not to have them. Golden Eye had more options if I remember correctly. Red Steel 2 only had hipfire and ADS wasn't needed. I also don't like comparing it because it was also a sword fighting game and didn't have MP. It's controls were great though.

C2's controls weren't bad, I just would have like them to be better. The hipfire was great and that's what you use most of the time, but the ADS was just broken. Again, this would have been easier to deal with if it didn't lag so bad for me.

It's the combination of those 3 things that made me not like the game. Those are pet peeves of mine and I'm very picky about them. I'm also far from being alone. These are reasons why the game didn't sell very well.

I find it silly that people get so worked up and defensive when you point out the flaws in this game.

I'm not sure about aiming customization, but it didn't have custom button mapping, and that's just ridiculous. Not to mention that it was just 'off', the Wiimote sniping was slow, and the iron sight aiming, despite all the customization, managed to be just as bad as Conduit 2. The cursor just feels sluggish, and it would often stop you turning when you tried to. Then, you have the fact the customization is unintuitive (you have to go through seven menus every time you want to change something, and can't do it in real time) and that the framerate is the worst of all the Wii FPS. Also, you couldn't make zero deadzones. It's hardly any better than a dual analog controller, while the controls for all the other shooters are just varying degrees of great.
---
Armstrong/Monsoon 2016
#82Toho2Posted 5/24/2013 8:30:41 AM
Maybe I've just dealt with the so called "problems" for so long I've gotten used to them. The only problems I see are connection issues, imbalance between the Strike Rifle and Phase Rifle, and the very poor graphics with split-screen.
---
-Jesus Christ is freedom from sin and everlasting peace.-
#83like2napPosted 5/26/2013 3:03:24 PM
Hawke0 posted...

I'm not sure about aiming customization, but it didn't have custom button mapping, and that's just ridiculous. Not to mention that it was just 'off', the Wiimote sniping was slow, and the iron sight aiming, despite all the customization, managed to be just as bad as Conduit 2. The cursor just feels sluggish, and it would often stop you turning when you tried to. Then, you have the fact the customization is unintuitive (you have to go through seven menus every time you want to change something, and can't do it in real time) and that the framerate is the worst of all the Wii FPS. Also, you couldn't make zero deadzones. It's hardly any better than a dual analog controller, while the controls for all the other shooters are just varying degrees of great.

I looked it up and it does have more options. No custom button config is annoying but it doesn't have anything to do with aiming. I don't find it "ridiculous" as the game has plenty of button configs to choose from. Don't get me wrong, custom is always best, but I would choose one of the presets anyway for this game as I do with COD.

The ADS, though not on COD levels, is far superior in GoldenEye. At least you don't go aiming at the sky whenever you ADS (or the ground if aiming below you). Crazy how strong the ADS snap was though. I was disappointed with that. It took a long time (several hours of tweaking), but I was able to get settings that felt great and that I liked even more than C2. I didn't like the game more than C2, but I liked the controls after a lot of fine tuning (and I'm very picky). And yeah, the framerate was so choppy. Gave me a headache. I couldn't play that game for long periods off time just for that.
It didn't have a lot of lag for me, but I couldn't stand the framerate.
#84like2napPosted 5/26/2013 3:10:36 PM
Hawke0 posted...
LigersRule posted...
TheOmegaShen posted...
Why in the hell would you list Red Steel 2 among truly great games?

RS2 is a quality game? Not top-notch, but it's definitely one of the best games on Wii. Especially if talking non-Nintendo titles, Red Steel 2 is the best 3rd party game on the system besides Monster Hunter and maybe the No More Heroes games.

This.
It also had the best implementation of motion controls.

Yes it did.
#85Hawke0Posted 5/26/2013 3:46:10 PM
I thought the lack of custom button mapping was ridiculous because it was standard for Wii shooters; Even ports had it, while a game made from the ground up for the Wii didn't. GE had mediocre ADS with aimbot aim assist and moderate reliance on it, C2 had bad ADS and little reliance on it, while the CoD games have great ADS and very heavy reliance on it.

When it comes to ADS vs. hip fire, GE has the most balanced use and is mediocre at both of them. Conduit 2 leans much more to hipfire and has great hipfire controls, and most guns in Conduit 2 don't even have ADS though, so it matters even less. CoD is all about ADS and has great controls for both.

Because of where the reliance falls for each of those vs. the implementation, I still uphold that Conduit 2 beats GE in controls easily (if only camera lock worked for vertical movement too, then ADS aiming in C2 would be much less of a chore) and both are beaten by CoD.
---
Armstrong/Monsoon 2016
#86like2napPosted 5/26/2013 8:43:37 PM
Hawke0 posted...
I thought the lack of custom button mapping was ridiculous because it was standard for Wii shooters; Even ports had it, while a game made from the ground up for the Wii didn't. GE had mediocre ADS with aimbot aim assist and moderate reliance on it, C2 had bad ADS and little reliance on it, while the CoD games have great ADS and very heavy reliance on it.

When it comes to ADS vs. hip fire, GE has the most balanced use and is mediocre at both of them. Conduit 2 leans much more to hipfire and has great hipfire controls, and most guns in Conduit 2 don't even have ADS though, so it matters even less. CoD is all about ADS and has great controls for both.

Because of where the reliance falls for each of those vs. the implementation, I still uphold that Conduit 2 beats GE in controls easily (if only camera lock worked for vertical movement too, then ADS aiming in C2 would be much less of a chore) and both are beaten by CoD.

GEs hipfire, though pretty good, seemed worse to me in MP because the framerate was so choppy. In the campaign it felt pretty good. I mean it wasn't horrible in MP, but it was worse because of the framerate. It just didn't feel right because the animation wasn't smooth.