Minimum Internet Requirements

#1_SignalPosted 6/24/2013 6:20:17 AM
What do you guys think are the minimum requirements internet speed to have a decent gaming connection?

What's the speed of the Wii U or the Wii for that matter?

Thanks
---
The Wii Shooter Unleashed! Wooof! Wooof!
Conduit2FC(36): 3354-2948-5226, (38): 4814-7986-3261
#2HC-GabePosted 6/24/2013 6:36:21 AM
_Signal posted...
What do you guys think are the minimum requirements internet speed to have a decent gaming connection?

Thanks

Got no idea. But a good way to improve is to put your Wii/Wii U at the highest QoS priority in your WiFi's settings
---
"You're mind-bafflingly adorable! <3~~~" -Loremas
#3CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 6/24/2013 7:38:14 AM
HC-Gabe posted...
_Signal posted...

Thanks

Got no idea. But a good way to improve is to put your Wii/Wii U at the highest QoS priority in your WiFi's settings

Wow, I'm impressed.

@Op, minimum speed required is probably 1.5Mbps or less, because um... Slow bandwidth won't make your game lag, unless there is other people using the internet for other things. ( which should not be an issue assuming you've set up QOS like Gabe said )

The relevant measurements are, in order of relevancy:
Packet Loss.
Ping.
Jitter.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#4The21stgunPosted 6/24/2013 7:48:43 AM
CHAINMAILLEKID posted...
HC-Gabe posted...
_Signal posted...

Thanks

Wow, I'm impressed.

@Op, minimum speed required is probably 1.5Mbps or less, because um... Slow bandwidth won't make your game lag, unless there is other people using the internet for other things. ( which should not be an issue assuming you've set up QOS like Gabe said )

Packet Loss.
Ping.
Jitter.

I have no idea what any of this means :'(
---
Stay Furry Forever!
Xbox GT: xXWARXSWITCHXx 3ds fc: 4468-1457-3557
#5_Signal(Topic Creator)Posted 6/24/2013 8:04:43 AM
I may have some bad news. We're considering moving to a place that doesn't have cabled internet. That means DSL or Satellite.

ATT DSL is really slow, fastest possible connection there is 3 Mbps download and 512 Kbps upload.

I talked to the satellite guy this morning, and while their speed is pretty good, 12 Mbps download and 3 Mbps upload, their latency is pretty high. He said 600 ms ping times were typical.

N
---
#6CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 6/24/2013 8:27:39 AM(edited)
_Signal posted...
I may have some bad news. We're considering moving to a place that doesn't have cabled internet. That means DSL or Satellite.

ATT DSL is really slow, fastest possible connection there is 3 Mbps download and 512 Kbps upload.

I talked to the satellite guy this morning, and while their speed is pretty good, 12 Mbps download and 3 Mbps upload, their latency is pretty high. He said 600 ms ping times were typical.

N

Tell them you're going to be doing Voice over IP, working from a home office.

If they start stuttering and mumbling, you're in trouble.

look into ATT, 600 ping will not be playable for anything.
I get faster ping to south korea.

Not even exaggerating.
http://www.pingtest.net/result/82993437.png
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#7HC-GabePosted 6/24/2013 8:18:26 AM
The21stgun posted...
CHAINMAILLEKID posted...
HC-Gabe posted...
_Signal posted...

Thanks

Wow, I'm impressed.

Packet Loss.
Ping.
Jitter.

I have no idea what any of this means :'(

QoS means Quality of Service. If you make Wii at "Highest" priority it helps
---
#8HC-GabePosted 6/24/2013 8:20:07 AM
_Signal posted...

N

Awww! I hope you can stay with the C2 board at least :(
---
#9_Signal(Topic Creator)Posted 6/24/2013 8:45:12 AM
CHAINMAILLEKID posted...
_Signal posted...

N

Not even exaggerating.

The best ATT can do there is 3 Mbps download and 512 Kbps upload. That sounds pretty terrible.

I'm so unhappy.
---
#10CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 6/24/2013 8:57:53 AM
_Signal posted...
CHAINMAILLEKID posted...
_Signal posted...

N

Not even exaggerating.

The best ATT can do there is 3 Mbps download and 512 Kbps upload. That sounds pretty terrible.

I'm so unhappy.

3Mbps w/att is what I played Tcon at.
and I had decent ping.

And Youtube would still work, and really who needs more than that.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656