If there was a Kickstarter to fund a new update(s), would you support it?

#1CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 7/11/2013 3:49:33 PM
How much would you donate? - Results (25 votes)
$100+
8% (2 votes)
$80
0% (0 votes)
$50
4% (1 votes)
$30
0% (0 votes)
$20
24% (6 votes)
$10
12% (3 votes)
$5
0% (0 votes)
$1
0% (0 votes)
I wouldn't donate.
20% (5 votes)
I would have HVS donate $10 to me.
32% (8 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Something I've been wondering a while.

I mean, I have no idea what the hold up was for more updates, whether they had a set budget, or a set time-frame, or if there was some contract or agreement that prevents them from releasing further updated.
But it makes for a fun and interesting question I think.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#2LigersRulePosted 7/11/2013 3:55:12 PM
I just think it was too stressful on their resources. They wanted to use their talent to make money, rather than use their talent to make people happy.

continued long-term free support doesn't do any company any good. Either you charge for your continued support (like most video games out there), or you have F2P business model (Team Fortress 2, PlanetSide 2, Dota, League of Legends, whatever).

If HVS wasn't going to charge for their continued support, they were just using their resources to make people happy. No net benefit to them.

That said, if there was Kickstarter RIGHT NOW to fund it? $10. See, if it were done when I had some sort of stable income... I would probably do $75-100. But that isn't the case at the moment. I just don't have that sort of cash to spare.
---
*Insert 25 wit here*
#3CHAINMAILLEKID(Topic Creator)Posted 7/11/2013 3:59:05 PM
LigersRule posted...
I just think it was too stressful on their resources. They wanted to use their talent to make money, rather than use their talent to make people happy.

continued long-term free support doesn't do any company any good. Either you charge for your continued support (like most video games out there), or you have F2P business model (Team Fortress 2, PlanetSide 2, Dota, League of Legends, whatever).

If HVS wasn't going to charge for their continued support, they were just using their resources to make people happy. No net benefit to them.

That said, if there was Kickstarter RIGHT NOW to fund it? $10. See, if it were done when I had some sort of stable income... I would probably do $75-100. But that isn't the case at the moment. I just don't have that sort of cash to spare.

Well, in HVS's case...
I think there is some good reason to keep people happy.
I mean, its not like they've released a competing product yet, and if they ever were to make another game that was to appeal to the same base, they'd be better off if that base was happy.

But you do bring up a good point.
I doubt that the cost of making more updates is actually that much, at least compared to the cost of having that talent NOT go towards making new games.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#4games1256Posted 7/11/2013 4:35:59 PM
In my view I don't think HVS should get paid for patches to fix big problems that should have been fixed during the game testing or during the original patching time frame.
#5VintageRonJohnPosted 7/11/2013 4:41:25 PM
I clocked in at $50. It seems like a lot, but I just want to see something out of left field. I wouldn't even care if I played it, I'd just want a developer to update a 2-year-old Wii game that's dead in the water--especially because said company is the first to be allowed to issue patches on the Wii.

I could buy a better gaming experience for $50, but not a better news story.
---
Conduit 2: RonJohn 3868-8419-8160 [D-S]Jolt 4986-1435-0700
The Conduit: RonJohn 3309-2472-4741
#6xXAISPXxPosted 7/11/2013 5:04:24 PM
I'd go with $10 being the most.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/xXAISPXx?feature=mhee
Currently Playing: Conduit 2, [Wii]Goldeneye007, SSBB, The Conduit, Mario Kart Wii
#7Hawke0Posted 7/12/2013 1:19:58 PM
VintageRonJohn posted...
I clocked in at $50. It seems like a lot, but I just want to see something out of left field. I wouldn't even care if I played it, I'd just want a developer to update a 2-year-old Wii game that's dead in the water--especially because said company is the first to be allowed to issue patches on the Wii.

I could buy a better gaming experience for $50, but not a better news story.

This.
---
Occupation Bob and Endgame are probably the stupidest people on the FE:A board.
The One and Only True Mr.Ford
#8CheslukPosted 7/12/2013 1:26:59 PM
I'd rather throw money at a kickstarter for something new (standalone hybridized multiplayer or Grinder) than pay for something that would more than likely break a game I don't even play.
---
"I like how people boast on the board, yet when they touch Hardcore, they're worst than the C2 AI" -Samu5
http://i.imgur.com/D401r.png
#9xXAISPXxPosted 7/12/2013 1:32:02 PM
Chesluk posted...
I'd rather throw money at a kickstarter for something new (standalone hybridized multiplayer or Grinder) than pay for something that would more than likely break a game I don't even play.

I wold just go for a new game as well. There you could fix what was in Conduit 2 and you have customers happy with the new game of the series. You'll also be able to get a big investment done faster instead of using donations for a smaller one.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/xXAISPXx?feature=mhee
Currently Playing: Conduit 2, [Wii]Goldeneye007, SSBB, The Conduit, Mario Kart Wii