Con 3 should't have such a strong emphasis on graphics, or the engine.

#21Hawke0Posted 7/12/2013 7:03:34 PM
Chesluk posted...
Personally I don't think it needs to be 60 fps. Old school televisions were only about 30 fps, and that was just fine for Charlies Angels, The Brady Bunch and The Love Boat.

Watching a video and playing a game are completely different for FPS. The higher the FPS, the more fluid the gameplay, and the more frames you have, the faster you can make the game. Besides, the higher your FPS the safer you are if you started dropping frames. Compare 20 frame dips while running at 120 fps, 60 fps, and 30 fps.

Correct on all counts.
---
Occupation Bob and Endgame are probably the stupidest people on the FE:A board.
The One and Only True Mr.Ford
#22CHAINMAILLEKID(Topic Creator)Posted 7/12/2013 7:08:11 PM
Chesluk posted...
the more frames you have, the faster you can make the game.

Explain.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#23CheslukPosted 7/12/2013 8:11:19 PM
Explain.

Higher framerate means more things being displayed onscreen per second which allows for faster paced gameplay. 120 FPS vs 30 FPS means you have four times the chance to see something in any given second, allowing you to catch people that just brush the edge of your screen and react to them. 30 FPS is only good for cinematic looking gameplay, and you shouldn't care more about how the gameplay looks compared to how the gameplay actually handles.
---
"I like how people boast on the board, yet when they touch Hardcore, they're worst than the C2 AI" -Samu5
http://i.imgur.com/D401r.png
#24CHAINMAILLEKID(Topic Creator)Posted 7/12/2013 8:31:07 PM
Chesluk posted...
Explain.

Higher framerate means more things being displayed onscreen per second which allows for faster paced gameplay. 120 FPS vs 30 FPS means you have four times the chance to see something in any given second, allowing you to catch people that just brush the edge of your screen and react to them. 30 FPS is only good for cinematic looking gameplay, and you shouldn't care more about how the gameplay looks compared to how the gameplay actually handles.

Uh....
No, I... I don't think so.

Firstly, even with framerate 120 HZ, the controls only have the fidelity of 60HZ.
Secondly, even with a framerate of 30 FPS, the controls still have a fidelity of 60HZ.

Secondly, This isn't PC gaming. TV's only accept up to 60 FPS, even if they have 120hz refresh rate.

Thirdly, there have been a number of studies by now, and still virtually NO EVIDENCE that you can detect framerate differences as high as 120hz. You're not going to see something thats only on screen for a 60th of a second, and you're DEFINITLY NEVER EVER going to see something thats on the screen for a 120th of a second.

Youtube runs at 24 FPS, and many times when people put things in their video for a single frame, you can't even see it then. And even when you do, you cannot gleam any information from it.

Lastly, even if you could gather useful information from an image in a 120th of a second, I STILL don't see how this makes the gameplay faster.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#25CheslukPosted 7/12/2013 9:02:36 PM
Firstly, even with framerate 120 HZ, the controls only have the fidelity of 60HZ.
Secondly, even with a framerate of 30 FPS, the controls still have a fidelity of 60HZ.

120 FPS was just an example. Even between 30 and 60 there is a distinct increase in fluidity.

Youtube runs at 24 FPS, and many times when people put things in their video for a single frame, you can't even see it then. And even when you do, you cannot gleam any information from it.

*29.97 FPS actually. Unless you live in Europe in which case it's 24.

Lastly, even if you could gather useful information from an image in a 120th of a second, I STILL don't see how this makes the gameplay faster.

You're not gathering information from individual stills, you're registering the presence of things you would've missed earlier because they weren't in your frames. You don't need to see that the blob of color to your left is a Russian Engineer with an ACW-R that has a foregrip, suppressor, and Kobra sight on it and that he's carrying anti-air missiles and anti-vehicle mines. You just need to know that something skimmed your left side because you saw it you'll react and see the guy who managed to run by without seeing you. As far as faster gameplay, try playing Counter-Strike, Quake, or Tribes on less than 30 FPS.
---
"I like how people boast on the board, yet when they touch Hardcore, they're worst than the C2 AI" -Samu5
http://i.imgur.com/D401r.png
#26_SignalPosted 7/12/2013 9:09:51 PM
My point really was that it doesn't really matter how fast the peak frame rate is if sometimes it slows down to 2 or 5 fps, like C2 does occaisionally.

You have to admit that stable 30 fps is far superior to ever dropping below 30.

I think a stable 30 is better than peak 60 with the rate frequently falling below 30.

I do however concede that my eyes are not what they were just 5 years ago. 5 years ago I could discern a lot more than I can now. Now it all just looks like light and dark smudges running around. I shoot whatever I can lockon to.
---
The Wii Shooter Unleashed! Wooof! Wooof!
Conduit2FC(36): 3354-2948-5226, (38): 4814-7986-3261
#27Ultimate_Mr_DPosted 7/12/2013 9:24:45 PM
I think you mispelled Halo 3. That game came out a while ago btw, and I do think they should have tightened the graphics.
---
"Some say the glass is half empty. Others say it's half full. I say it's a glass of water, now drink it."
#28_SignalPosted 7/12/2013 9:27:20 PM
Welcome Ultimate Mr.

Join the party!
---
The Wii Shooter Unleashed! Wooof! Wooof!
Conduit2FC(36): 3354-2948-5226, (38): 4814-7986-3261
#29CHAINMAILLEKID(Topic Creator)Posted 7/12/2013 9:38:24 PM
Chesluk posted...

120 FPS was just an example. Even between 30 and 60 there is a distinct increase in fluidity.

*29.97 FPS actually. Unless you live in Europe in which case it's 24.

You're not gathering information from individual stills, you're registering the presence of things you would've missed earlier because they weren't in your frames. You don't need to see that the blob of color to your left is a Russian Engineer with an ACW-R that has a foregrip, suppressor, and Kobra sight on it and that he's carrying anti-air missiles and anti-vehicle mines. You just need to know that something skimmed your left side because you saw it you'll react and see the guy who managed to run by without seeing you. As far as faster gameplay, try playing Counter-Strike, Quake, or Tribes on less than 30 FPS.

Oh really?
well... All of my videos are 24 :p

And I agree if we're talking about FPS under 30.
Or, up to 40 really.

But faster than that, well, its going to preserve the graphical fidelity when things move quickly.
and I see that as really important for like fighters and stuff, where a move can come out in only a few frames, and you have to be able to see the motion to properly gauge and stuff.

But like I said, in a FPS, the momement speed of the characters is the most important thing, and that doesn't tend to happen extremely quickly.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#30xXAISPXxPosted 7/12/2013 9:41:20 PM
Is Halo 3 the same as Halo Reach? I just got my Xbox two days ago.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/xXAISPXx?feature=mhee
Currently Playing: Conduit 2, [Wii]Goldeneye007, SSBB, The Conduit, Mario Kart Wii