Global announcement: There will never be a sequel to Conduit 2.

#1VintageRonJohnPosted 7/13/2013 9:56:36 PM
Dear Conduit 2 community,

There will never be a sequel to Conduit 2.

In the past, I've pointed out that the entertainment industry hates coming up with new IP whole cloth. It might (*might*) indeed be that one day, some studio unrelated to HVS will buy the rights to the series 10 years from now, and they'll release a Conduit game. That game will not be anything like the two you know and love. They will be capitalizing on your nostalgia and hoping that you talk the game up to your friends. But they don't care about the original material; they'll be making their own FPS with a skin that'll sell a few copies.

Thanks.
--Jolt
---
Conduit 2: RonJohn 3868-8419-8160 [D-S]Jolt 4986-1435-0700
The Conduit: RonJohn 3309-2472-4741
#2xXAISPXxPosted 7/13/2013 10:01:22 PM
The end of a story that was never finished.

I like that, but I would much prefer it to finish. It's sad to name the series "The Story that Never Ended."
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/xXAISPXx?feature=mhee
Currently Playing: Conduit 2, [Wii]Goldeneye007, SSBB, The Conduit, Mario Kart Wii
#3B05S_BrennanPosted 7/13/2013 10:12:48 PM
I'd say it's more likely ("more", not "very") for HVS to take another shot at the series than a new company to buy it. It doesn't have a big enough fanbase to "be capitalizing on your nostalgia and hoping that you talk the game up to your friends".
---
"Wait, why would you be talking to a marshmallow about Brennan?" -HungoverHero777
http://www.youtube.com/user/B05SxBrennan/featured
#4VintageRonJohn(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2013 10:20:05 PM
B05S_Brennan posted...
I'd say it's more likely ("more", not "very") for HVS to take another shot at the series than a new company to buy it. It doesn't have a big enough fanbase to "be capitalizing on your nostalgia and hoping that you talk the game up to your friends".

I see where you're coming from, and I generally agree. There are maybe 500,000 people who bought TCon, though--which is 500,000 more fans than a no-name IP has. It's just slightly better than building from the ground up. You're right: the idea would be to build a new fanbase and try to sell a few copies to legacies.

The farther we get from E3 2008 the less likely HVS is to come out with a Conduit game. Reception and sales trajectory is just down and more down.
---
#5games1256Posted 7/13/2013 10:30:54 PM
VintageRonJohn posted...
Dear Conduit 2 community,

There will never be a sequel to Conduit 2.

In the past, I've pointed out that the entertainment industry hates coming up with new IP whole cloth. It might (*might*) indeed be that one day, some studio unrelated to HVS will buy the rights to the series 10 years from now, and they'll release a Conduit game. That game will not be anything like the two you know and love. They will be capitalizing on your nostalgia and hoping that you talk the game up to your friends. But they don't care about the original material; they'll be making their own FPS with a skin that'll sell a few copies.

Thanks.
--Jolt

I doubt a company would spend the money to buy the rights to The Conduit games. Just since there is not enough of a market for Conduit that it would be worth the time and money to release a Conduit game.
#6VintageRonJohn(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2013 10:39:45 PM
games1256 posted...
I doubt a company would spend the money to buy the rights to The Conduit games. Just since there is not enough of a market for Conduit that it would be worth the time and money to release a Conduit game.

This is why I said "might." Whether the *rights* are worth it totally depends on the price. For a dollar, you and I would be crazy to not buy the rights. That's economics.

The entertainment industry is always selling this stuff, even when it doesn't make headlines. In general though I think you're right--no one's wanting to buy Conduit rights, but that could always change.

Seven or eight months before George Lucas sold Star Wars to Disney, he described "Red Tails" as "the closest thing you're going to get to Episode VII" on the Daily Show.
---
#7Loremas1861Posted 7/13/2013 10:40:27 PM
games1256 posted...

This man speaks the truth.
#8VintageRonJohn(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2013 10:41:35 PM
And I would add, buying the rights doesn't necessarily signal intent to publish anything. In fact, sometimes the intent is to prevent anything from being done with the IP.
---
#9games1256Posted 7/13/2013 10:42:42 PM
VintageRonJohn posted...
games1256 posted...

This is why I said "might." Whether the *rights* are worth it totally depends on the price. For a dollar, you and I would be crazy to not buy the rights. That's economics.

The entertainment industry is always selling this stuff, even when it doesn't make headlines. In general though I think you're right--no one's wanting to buy Conduit rights, but that could always change.

Seven or eight months before George Lucas sold Star Wars to Disney, he described "Red Tails" as "the closest thing you're going to get to Episode VII" on the Daily Show.

Yes a company might buy the rights for The Conduit games for a really cheap price but just because they have the rights does not make it worth it to spend lots of money making a Conduit game.
#10LigersRulePosted 7/13/2013 10:57:39 PM
Something worth noting here: In the time since Conduit 2 released, HVS has been building up an impressive resume. Obviously their app games don't mean anything to us, but that's not all they have been doing. For instance, did you know that HVS did quite a bit of work on Saints Row 4? Or that they were entirely responsible for porting Mortal Kombat to Steam?

HVS has kept busy, just not on the game-releasing front. They've been doing Contract work, but contract work that is sure to build their skills, knowledge, and reputation.
---
*Insert 25 wit here*