My biggest complaint about Con2 right now...

#1CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 7/14/2013 9:09:18 PM
The radar.

The thing is, I really dislike playing w/o radar.
Its stupid, finding a skirmish can be a real hit and miss, ESPECIALLY if you have slow movement speed, ( oh boy, yet another advantage to SC ) and when there's not enough players for the size of the map.
Radar also makes up for a lot of otherwise hard to avoid game limitations, like FOV.

Ok that sounds good, so why not just play with radar?

Because the radar in Con2 doesn't have ANY restrictions whatsoever aside from stealth, and crouching, it can basically see EVERYTHING!
The radar window should have an ASE watermark behind it, because that would make a lot of sense for what it is.

The problem is... Radar should be a game tool, a tool that must be operated by the user in order to use it to best effect. Not simply a background process that is running constantly.
It should be on par with any other game element, and that will provide more gameplay depth.

Currently, Its just a big stupid red arrow telling you which direction to run.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#2Shiranui777Posted 7/14/2013 9:12:52 PM
its not like theres a gamemode that has the exact same things except no radar!
---
Shiranui777Shiranui777Shiranui777Shiranui777Shiranui777
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMIws86ZLyk why i lost faith in humanity
#3CHAINMAILLEKID(Topic Creator)Posted 7/14/2013 9:13:47 PM
Shiranui777 posted...

1st paragraph.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#4HC-GabePosted 7/14/2013 10:00:39 PM
CHAINMAILLEKID posted...
Shiranui777 posted...

1st paragraph.

Do a private match. You choose all the rules and restrictions
---
"You're mind-bafflingly adorable! <3~~~" -Loremas
#5VintageRonJohnPosted 7/15/2013 4:55:25 AM
CHAINMAILLEKID posted...
The problem is... Radar should be a game tool, a tool that must be operated by the user in order to use it to best effect. Not simply a background process that is running constantly.
It should be on par with any other game element, and that will provide more gameplay depth.

I am probably one of the more vigorous defenders of radar as it is in Conduit 2, so I'll provide its defense.

The radar provides a great deal of information, and skilled and experienced players will make better use of that information. I can't tell you how many times I've walked through a door only to be met by a grenade. My opponent was making good use of the radar: tracking where I'd come from to figure out where I was probably going, and using my speed to time a perfect flashbang or rad. Similarly, I was doing a poor job of using the radar: I didn't think about what my opponent was doing (I was indeed following a red arrow), and my lack of self-awareness of my own red blip got me killed.

The radar does not tell you what weapons your opponent has. You learn that from context, over and over again, until you know what weapon someone has by the way the blip moves.

It's the kind of benefit to veterans that you're unlikely to find in any other singular game element.

And that's why I like radar. All that said, I do just fine without it.
---
Conduit 2: RonJohn 3868-8419-8160 [D-S]Jolt 4986-1435-0700
The Conduit: RonJohn 3309-2472-4741
#6Toho2Posted 7/15/2013 6:49:04 AM
The radar is fine, newer people don't even use it. In fact I'm happy with C2's game mechanics. I've played other games that just become so boring or aggravating to the point I leave the game for awhile. Then I play Conduit 2. And the game never gets boring or old, even for once. And it has in-part to do with the radar. I LIKE being able to see red blimps from half a mile away, it makes the game more fun and add challenge since you NEED to have a better strategy than the other guy, otherwise your dead. If this game's radar wasn't always on, it's wouldn't be as fun. I LIKE it always being on.
---
-Long live Nintendo and Conduit! -
#7xXAISPXxPosted 7/15/2013 6:53:11 AM
The radar is probably the most underlooked and most important aspect in multiplayer. It tells you where the player is at and gives you strategies. I greatly depend on it in grab bag matches.

I am also fine without it in Hardcore.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/xXAISPXx?feature=mhee
Currently Playing: Conduit 2, [Wii]Goldeneye007, SSBB, The Conduit, Mario Kart Wii
#8MindesynPosted 7/15/2013 6:54:15 AM
Ill openly admit I forget the radar is even there in GB, I just dont use it. I often wonder how people knew where I was, and then i look at it and swear at them.

Its a vicious cycle.
---
Conduit 2: http://i.imgur.com/BXZAJ.jpg
"WiFi is WiFi and it's WiFi so it's just going to be WiFi" -Keet
#9-HC-P4GPosted 7/15/2013 6:58:29 AM
CHAINMAILLEKID posted...

Absolutely not, in fact, on a smaller map an experienced can have a good guess exactly where his enemy is, or at least what building they're in, just by looking at the radar. To an inexperienced player, it is just a "big stupid red arrow telling them where to run." But that's because they're inexperienced, and they don't yet know how to use it properly.
---
Caffeine Free Diet Coke is, by far, the most hideous abomination of the Coca-Cola product line.
#101PefrogPosted 7/15/2013 9:08:33 AM
I don't like radar unless there are not many players or a big map. There is a no-radar skill ... being able to traverse a map without being seen while seeing where others are. No radar is also great for tagging people with the dark star. I also think it builds a little suspense.
---
If it's yellow, leave it for the next fellow. If it's brown, flush it down.