Pointer controls vs. Dual Analog.

#1CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 9/20/2013 1:34:21 PM
Which control method do you feel has an advantage? ( no-lockon or aim assist ) - Results (15 votes)
Pointer Controls have the advantage.
60% (9 votes)
Dual Analog have the edge.
13.33% (2 votes)
Pointer controls have more potential, but is usually executed more poorly than DA.
13.33% (2 votes)
DA controls have more potential, but is usually executed more poorly than Pointe Controls.
6.67% (1 votes)
Pointer Contruls, but ONLY with WM+
0% (0 votes)
Brain probes are the only way to play.
6.67% (1 votes)
This poll is now closed.
So I was in a 'discussion' with somebody about this earlier, and he was, very foolishly IMO, trying to argue that Pointer controls were somehow fatally flawed.
He would bring up points such as "its impossible to hold a wii remote steady".
To which I responded with this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imePHQwy8ac

That argument ended up falling apart after he decided that Pointer would always be inferior because wimote is wireless, where as DA controllers are available wired.

However, it got me thinking about it.
I figured I'd come here and ask. Everybody here has enough experience with pointer controls to make ignorant claims like "You can't turn around fast" But there are also plenty of people who are a lot more experienced with DA than I am, Particularly with Modern DA.

So what are your thoughts, What are the advantages that each control method has over the other, and in the end, which one do YOU think comes out on top?

This is my short list:

Dual Analog Advantages:

Can EASILY got 16 players with DA into a small room. If you can see the TV, you can play.

"Set and leave it" positioning. 'Peoples heads will be coming around the corner at this height right... HERE" Also helps to provide a reference position.

Pointer Control Advantages:

Intuitive movement. To some degree, you are able to know what part of the screen you are shooting, even if the screen isn't off. I think this means stronger muscle memory.

HUGE range of motion to work with. You're not restricted to the small movement of a control stick. You can make fine adjustments, and then a second later, make huge sweeping movements.

Immediately responsive. No dead play in center. Control sticks are getting better and better at eliminating the dead zone, But as they get older, it always comes back.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#2hc-valkiriaPosted 9/20/2013 1:39:07 PM
I like pointer cuz it has better feel than DA but DA is more exact in aim. But from what I've heard, DA's two sticks are not quickly maneuverable. Idk. I guess pointer is my preference.
#3LigersRulePosted 9/20/2013 1:59:07 PM
If you took the best DA player in the world and the best Pointer controls player in the world and put them against each other in a game neither of them are familiar with, but supports both control schemes... I would bet the DA player would win about 40-5. 8 times as many kills.

I think Pointer Controls are more fun and easier for new gamers to understand, but when each are perfected, Dual Analog is far superior.

That said, I would bet a Keyboard + Mouse player would beat a DA user several times over as well, and Pointers wouldn't even be able to get a kill.
---
*Insert 25 wit here*
#4CHAINMAILLEKID(Topic Creator)Posted 9/20/2013 2:05:30 PM(edited)
LigersRule posted...
If you took the best DA player in the world and the best Pointer controls player in the world and put them against each other in a game neither of them are familiar with, but supports both control schemes... I would bet the DA player would win about 40-5. 8 times as many kills.

I think Pointer Controls are more fun and easier for new gamers to understand, but when each are perfected, Dual Analog is far superior.

That said, I would bet a Keyboard + Mouse player would beat a DA user several times over as well, and Pointers wouldn't even be able to get a kill.

Well... The DA player would be playing DA far longer than the pointer player would have been playing with pointer controls, and there are far more DA players.

So thats like pitting basketball team from a school with 5000 students, against a team from a school with 300 students.

Also, pointer controls are so new still, I don't think they're anywhere close to being perfected. I have so many complaints about Con2's controls.

Anyway, what are the aspects of DA that you feel give it the edge?
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#5Toho2Posted 9/20/2013 3:57:32 PM
Dual Analog controls are easier and faster to get used to and are used the most commonly. Pointer Controls are more fun to use, but require more practice and are always executed poorly. Also the position you play Pointer Controls is important in determining you performance.
---
-I am Storm 1, the Master Chief of the Earth Defense Force-http://www.d3p.co.jp/edf4/#soldier
#6DerppopotamusPosted 9/20/2013 5:39:37 PM
Toho2 posted...
Also the position you play Pointer Controls is important in determining you performance.

I feel ya man. I feel like I have to be this certain distance from the TV, and I can't be under it or above it.

And The settings. Oh, the settings. on a dual anaolg game the options are "Sensitivity" but on a Wii remote FPS, There's the size of the deadzone, the turning speed, the way the deadzone affects the turning, et cetra.
---
I wish I were a bird.