Playing Conduit 2 online using an iPhone 4S WiFi Hotspot

#11B05S_P4GPosted 12/17/2013 7:10:45 PM
3G/4G Hotspot= lag
---
whaterr my fc is
#121PefrogPosted 12/17/2013 7:32:12 PM
I wonder if there is an app that would help the hotspot speed.

PS - I am really lost here.
---
More people are killed by donkeys annually than are killed in plane crashes.
#13_Signal(Topic Creator)Posted 12/17/2013 8:29:06 PM
Obviously part of lag is related to ping time. My ping time using my iPhone hotspot is around 115 ms. That means 0.115 seconds, or approximately 1/10 of a second. From everything I've read, as long as you're in the 100 ms ballpark, you're ok for FPS.

I played Call of Duty Ghosts using my iPhone hotspot and it was fine. In fact I couldn't tell any difference at all between that and my current cable internet, which usually pings around 15 ms. This is except for one instance when I squeezed the trigger and I felt that nothing happened, but I died one instant later, so I can't be sure.

A while back Chain asked people to post their ping times, but not too many people did. It might be worth digging up that old thread.
---
We're on top for now!
Conduit2FC(36): 3354-2948-5226, (38): 4814-7986-3261
#14like2napPosted 12/17/2013 11:46:45 PM
You could maybe get a cradle point router that will work with that phone. Then the Wii could connect to that router just like any other. Wired or wireless.

www.3gstore.com

www.cradlepoint.com

If that doesn't work you can try something like this:

http://community.callofduty.com/thread/100397840#.UrFDG_RDuSo

Ignore everything else, but check my last two posts on that page. I made up my own way to get my phone to work with the Wii. Before doing this my wii would connect to that phone, but it would only stay connected for 19 minutes. (I don't know why). So I had to come up with what's in the last two posts of that thread instead and it worked. Something like that will probably work just as well with your phone.
#15double0stevePosted 12/18/2013 2:16:12 AM
The_Mad_Kitten posted...
Buy a hotspot!
They are like 100$! Please! Just do it!

reads first post, reads this post. *facepalm*
---
(Former) Official Peace-Outer of GE.
#16like2napPosted 12/18/2013 2:31:12 AM
In short, there is a way to make this work . If you can't find a compatible cradlepoint router (the easiest and best solution) then something like what I posted in that forum will work. There is a way. We just have to find it.
#17TheOmegaShenPosted 12/18/2013 5:41:22 AM
double0steve posted...
The_Mad_Kitten posted...
Buy a hotspot!
They are like 100$! Please! Just do it!

reads first post, reads this post. *facepalm*

I was thinking the same thing.
---
Do the impossible, see the invisible
Row row, fight the powah
#18G3_RazorPosted 12/19/2013 12:02:37 PM
Out of the Country? What country?
---
[G3] Razor I play Conduit 2, and own a Wii and 3DS.
#19_Signal(Topic Creator)Posted 12/19/2013 12:44:24 PM
like2nap posted...
You could maybe get a cradle point router that will work with that phone. Then the Wii could connect to that router just like any other. Wired or wireless.

www.3gstore.com

www.cradlepoint.com

Ignore everything else, but check my last two posts on that page. I made up my own way to get my phone to work with the Wii. Before doing this my wii would connect to that phone, but it would only stay connected for 19 minutes. (I don't know why). So I had to come up with what's in the last two posts of that thread instead and it worked. Something like that will probably work just as well with your phone.

I talked with the guys at 3gstore a couple of days ago and they recommended a Surf On-the-Go router to work with my iPhone, so I ordered that. It's supposed to arrive Friday, so we'll see. I asked them about hotspots independent of my phone and he recommended the SOHO-millenium combo, but that will be plan B.

Also, so much good information in the CoD thread. Hopefully I won't have to go to those lengths, but we'll see.

Thank so much for the help and encouragement.
---
We're on top for now!
Conduit2FC(36): 3354-2948-5226, (38): 4814-7986-3261
#20like2napPosted 12/19/2013 2:46:36 PM
_Signal posted...
like2nap posted...

www.3gstore.com

www.cradlepoint.com

I talked with the guys at 3gstore a couple of days ago and they recommended a Surf On-the-Go router to work with my iPhone, so I ordered that. It's supposed to arrive Friday, so we'll see. I asked them about hotspots independent of my phone and he recommended the SOHO-millenium combo, but that will be plan B.

Also, so much good information in the CoD thread. Hopefully I won't have to go to those lengths, but we'll see.

Thank so much for the help and encouragement.

You're welcome :) I haven't checked the specs on that router. Did you mention that you wanted to use it for gaming when you talked to them? Because you would want one where you can forward your ports and all that jazz. Maybe even get one with QOS (quality of service) as well. If NAT type is a concern, it make take some tweaking on the phone and on the router to get a moderate or open NAT. IDK. I haven't used an Iphone. I used an MBR900 and MBR95 cradlepoint routers with different modems/hotspots. Each setup, even wired or wireless, took different tweaking of both the modems, and the routers to get a moderate or open nat type. I can help you figure out anything you need with getting it to work when I have spare time. Though those 3gstore folks are pretty darn good. You can also post stuff on their forums and search their forums for answers. Some routers you may even need to change the firmware on as certain firmwares are better for gaming. I'm using the MBR95 right now and I had to downgrade the firmware to get a better gaming experience.

Of course now I don't have to worry about that. I finally moved into civilization last month and got cable internet. I got tired of the data cap I had with Verizon.