Montages for C2 is Sad (Clips & Editing)

#21_SignalPosted 1/7/2014 11:57:50 PM
I've been thinking about this whole montage thing, the problem that people aren't that interested in them anymore.

I think what we need are some good Hardcore SMAW montages. That would be pretty entertaining and different.
---
We're on top for now!
Conduit2FC(36): 3354-2948-5226, (38): 4814-7986-3261
#22CmoIsDaNam3(Topic Creator)Posted 1/8/2014 5:40:08 AM
_Signal posted...
I've been thinking about this whole montage thing, the problem that people aren't that interested in them anymore.

I think what we need are some good Hardcore SMAW montages. That would be pretty entertaining and different.

Most people have never really been interested in them, mine in particular, Death Machine got only about like, 1 or 2 pages of comments, Samu5 posted Death Machine and it got like 4, 5, maybe 6 comments.

Same for KILL, and now Integrate, half the community doesn't care about them, mostly because they don't know the work that goes into it, (Clips, editing, music, and the other things like trying not to get copyright striked) and its very annoying to me, but the whole reason why people aren't interested in them is not solely for the clips, its just them people don't care enough or at all.
---
Cmo More Often.
"First of all, we need more SOTD's." AISP
#23hc-valkiriaPosted 1/8/2014 12:53:53 PM
CmoIsDaNam3 posted...
_Signal posted...

Most people have never really been interested in them, mine in particular, Death Machine got only about like, 1 or 2 pages of comments, Samu5 posted Death Machine and it got like 4, 5, maybe 6 comments.

Same for KILL, and now Integrate, half the community doesn't care about them, mostly because they don't know the work that goes into it, (Clips, editing, music, and the other things like trying not to get copyright striked) and its very annoying to me, but the whole reason why people aren't interested in them is not solely for the clips, its just them people don't care enough or at all.

Well idk about not caring because we don't know how much work u put in. Its obvious just by looking that u worked hard on them. I think the real issue is not understanding the work put in but rather if it is asthetically pleasing regardless of work. Its like looking at a painting by da vinci. Ppl like it just cuz its beautiful, not cuz of the work put in to it. This doesn't mean ur montages aren't good. I think montages just aren't the thing that inspires others to make montages as well, kind of like tv shows. If producers see a really good tv show, that doesn't necessarily mean they will get inspired to produce another awesome show like that.
#24ZAV1010Posted 1/9/2014 1:44:58 AM
I offered to make a C2 Community montage at one point. I am pretty sure Cmo shot my offer down though...
---
Montages, Glitches, Commentaries and Competitive Gameplays: http://www.youtube.com/user/ZAV1010
#25ZAV1010Posted 1/9/2014 1:45:17 AM
I offered to make a C2 Community montage at one point. I am pretty sure Cmo shot my offer down though...
---
Montages, Glitches, Commentaries and Competitive Gameplays: http://www.youtube.com/user/ZAV1010
#26_SignalPosted 1/9/2014 8:45:33 AM
I've watched a few montages, and I like Cmo's stuff, as well as the ones created by others. But for me, montages become repetitive or monotonous or something, and I sometimes have a hard time making it to the end.

I think for montages to be more entertaining, they need to have more variety than we typically see. I dunno, but most of the C2 montages that I've seen rarely show gunfights where the balance tips, where the POV loses, or where something interesting happens. They usually "feel" like a showcase for the POV player, and frequently the gunfight leading up to a kill gets fast-forwarded or even skipped to the kill point.

With it's high-health, C2 is all about the gunfight.

I'm the first to admit, the PR is my favorite weapon, but it's a little boring to watch, from either POV, LOL.

Movies are generally divided into three acts, where events happen to move the story along to it's conclusion. And we've all seen movies where the ending didn't "feel" like an ending. You look at the person beside you and say "Was that it?"

You don't need 45 or 90 minutes to build to a climax. The Pixar shorts that we see have stories that feel complete, and build to a climax.

Similarly, an engaging montage would build upon itself, and like other forms of entertainment, should reach some kind of crescendo, climax, resolution, or sensible "ending." Even the simplest joke needs a punchline.

For example, a PR montage could start with some simple kills, and have the POV lose against another PR user once or twice. The style of kills escalates as the montage moves forward, possibly ending with a rare type of kill that we don't see often, like a triple-kill with a single shot. That becomes the climax, the pay-off. Obviously this kind of kill is rare, but this is just an example of how you might build tension and anticipation in your montage. Then the viewer gets to see something that maybe they haven't seen before.

I'm not trying to be critical at all. I realize that montages are a lot of work. All video editing is. I'm just explaining what I think are the general problems with montage viewership and why I don't personally have more interest in them. I suppose to be honest, there are only a few of my own videos that I re-watch over and over again, pretty much for the same reason; that reason being that they just don't entertain me that much.

I have other thoughts on this, but my post is already too long even for me to re-read.
---
We're on top for now!
#27CmoIsDaNam3(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2014 7:42:16 PM
Signal, I think you are mixing up Machinama with Montages.

If you look at montages in the gaming realm, you don't see a story line like that, if the closest thing you are gonna get in that is a theme in the montage like headshots only, or shotgun only or something like that. (Even fighter gaming montages, A.K.A combo videos or highlight videos are like this)

Also, if you look montages in the sense of films, they don't have a story line like that, they are just a collection of scenes of someone failing over and over again until they get something right.

However, machinama has this, it has a story line like this where there is a climax and a resolution, after all, all they are are just comedies or drama shows made with the game.

Also, to Valk, that could be it, but the last point of people not wanting to make them because its not inspiring isn't true, because there are plenty of people in the CoD scene who wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't for someone else doing it, it just has to do with the type of crowd, and C2 doesn't have that crowd, which sucks. (Which also points back the my main point of people not caring enough or at all ironically enough)
---
Cmo More Often.
#28hc-valkiriaPosted 1/9/2014 7:49:22 PM
CmoIsDaNam3 posted...

If you look at montages in the gaming realm, you don't see a story line like that, if the closest thing you are gonna get in that is a theme in the montage like headshots only, or shotgun only or something like that. (Even fighter gaming montages, A.K.A combo videos or highlight videos are like this)

Also, if you look montages in the sense of films, they don't have a story line like that, they are just a collection of scenes of someone failing over and over again until they get something right.

However, machinama has this, it has a story line like this where there is a climax and a resolution, after all, all they are are just comedies or drama shows made with the game.

Also, to Valk, that could be it, but the last point of people not wanting to make them because its not inspiring isn't true, because there are plenty of people in the CoD scene who wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't for someone else doing it, it just has to do with the type of crowd, and C2 doesn't have that crowd, which sucks. (Which also points back the my main point of people not caring enough or at all ironically enough)

Bottom line is this game is barely surviving and saving it will be worthless...
#29CmoIsDaNam3(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2014 7:52:56 PM
Eh, not really, unless the devs deem it as such, there is always a chance.
---
Cmo More Often.
#30_SignalPosted 1/9/2014 10:07:57 PM
CmoIsDaNam3 posted...

I understand what machinama is, and I'm not suggesting that we turn montages into staged acting. I'm merely saying why most montages don't appeal to me personally, and what I would strive for were I to undertake creating one.

What about a montage of bad hit detection, or of kills while the opponent is invisible?

There are lots of possibilities for making montages more interesting without having to create an entire plotline.

If you've ever tried to setup a video camera on a tripod to record Christmas morning or a Thanksgiving Dinner, you realize that it's pretty unwatchable. This is largely because of the static nature of the POV. This hurts the montages as well.
---
We're on top for now!