Day 68 Conduit 2 Map Detail Analysis: The Panic Button in Crash Site

#1_SignalPosted 3/14/2014 2:49:02 PM
Typically I try to put forth my Map Detail Analysis in a positive light, however I'm a little conflicted about The Panic Button in Crash Site.

While I applaud HVS for giving this map something interactive besides the Control Points in team matches, every time I see that big red button it just annoys me more.

I call it The Panic Button because I don't really understand what it's function could be on the spaceship, besides a brief boost in speed, like the turbo button on the Vipers in Battlestar Galactica. Based on it's size it appears to be something you might give a quick slap during an epic space battle. It's more likely that Captain Kirk or Taylor would just fall on it and blow everything up.

At any rate, while I think it's great that the map has this interactive element which allows you to roast your friends and enemies alike, as I've seen Brennan do, I wish it had been presented a little more subtly, perhaps on one of the control panels and not just in the middle of the room. I think I noticed it and pushed it the very first time I played on that map.

There's so much to say about The Panic Button. What do you think? Should more maps have a Panic Button? Is The Panic Button what crashed the ship to begin with? Should Brennan keep roasting everyone? Is The Panic Button OP? Does The Panic Button make the map more fun to play on?

Please contribute.
---
Even my signature is off-topic!
Conduit2FC(36): 3354-2948-5226, (38): 4814-7986-3261
#2Shooter613Posted 3/14/2014 3:15:12 PM
The Panic Button is certainly a good thing.

Brennan created the BO5S clan, and that may be a good thing.

So they're both alike, I think.
---
Conduit 2: Shooter613/FC : 1249-4624-0371
#3xXAISPXxPosted 3/14/2014 3:43:27 PM
Signal, maybe you should try doing the car at Streets Prime that has the radio left on. What do you think?
---
The Conduit: 2009-2014 (5 years)
Conduit 2: 2011-2014 (3 years)
#4nightfire0013Posted 3/21/2014 12:06:00 AM
It does seem odd placed in the middle of the ship like. Especially since it looks to be out of reach of the dead Grey.
---
A dangerous foe, if a somewhat disinterested ally.
#5CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 3/21/2014 12:18:30 AM
I never even thought about its placement and function.

But then again, who can comprehend the thinking of alien being?

Brennan probably can.

I still remember my Battle Ladder match vs. him, Its probably the con2 match which I have the most vivid recollection of.
That was the first time I'd really seen the Shrieker expertly used, and when I realized it was a very good tool for zone control.
Also, he was one of the first people to use EF to break the Spas.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#6Silent_NexusPosted 3/22/2014 9:17:11 AM
Very useful in Annexation matches, when the other team is trying to take back the control point in the middle, but also very risky if your team is trying to get it back from them because they can do the same thing to you. But besides Annexation matches, it is not much of tactical value.

Its also the only intractable part of any stage, not counting control points, that I can think of, which is a plus.

Overall, a double-edge sword.

P.S. May I suggest the bushes in Serenity or the pieces of armor in Sanctum Prime next?
---
"Tag, you're dead."
-Anya Alstreim (Code Geass)
#7hc-valkiriaPosted 3/22/2014 9:45:02 AM
i honestly think we're over-thinking this. it's just something they added to the ship to make the map more dangerous. I don't think they went through all the necessary details to make it a believable ship.
#8Col_BiscuitPosted 3/22/2014 8:30:08 PM
Panic-button? More like instant BBQ button. Anybody wanna roast some winnies while we stare deep into the night sky, counting the stars, and wishing our Conduit 2 goodbye? Old Man Mossy may have some ghost stories to tell...
---
The Conduit... Forever Young... such a shame...
#9_Signal(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2014 10:06:48 PM
Haha, that sounds pretty nice.

It's funny, I think last night was actually the first time I got a kill on Crash Site using The Panic Button. It was weird though, I can't remember if I got the skull graphic or not.

Funny thing about Brennan, my mental picture of him is still as Khmer drew him in the C2 community sketch. In case you don't remember, he's wearing a t-shirt that says "Hi, I'm Brennan." Maybe in part she did that just because she needed a way to distinguish him from the other players, but for some reason it seemed to really suit his personality.

I have a great amount of respect for Brennan both as a person and a player. He rarely gets into debates or arguments. Brennan actually dealt me a couple of my most devastating defeats that I've ever had in C2. These were in our 1v1 battle ladder matches. First time around, he challenged me. I was somewhere around the 2nd or 3rd spot, in the second tier.

As I remember, the challenge went to 4 matches. I think I won the first match, he won the second match, we tied on the third match, and he won by a couple of kills on the fourth match. I was so frustrated because near the end of the fourth match I realized that I wasn't using the loadout that I thought I was. But the real heartbreak for me came a few weeks later with the rematch when he beat me again.

Next he quickly beat Chain for the top spot and then promptly retired before anyone else had a chance to challenge him. Brilliantly played!

My favorite Brennan quote, on one of the possible causes of lag: "Every good player is "laggy". Their movements are quick, so the game can't always keep up." I still smile and chuckle at this one.

Brennan, I always enjoy seeing you in a match. You're a fast killer and fun to play with. You're a great player and a dear person. Thank you for making this a more fun place to hang out and a more challenging game to play. I hope our friendship can continue beyond the shutdown.
---
Even my signature is off-topic!
Conduit2FC(36): 3354-2948-5226, (38): 4814-7986-3261