Day 63 Conduit 2 Map Detail Analysis: The Shi in Serenity

#1_SignalPosted 3/26/2014 6:19:48 PM
Apparently Serenity is on of my favorite maps to talk about.

Today weíll talk about The Shi in Serenity. Donít know what The Shi is? Donít feel bad, neither did I. Hereís a link to a photo of an actual Shi and it looks like the photo could have been taken right out of the Serenity map.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6d/ImperialMaleLionGuard.jpg

You didnít have to click the link to learn that a Shi is a Chinese guardian lion. Actually the word Shi translates directly to "lion" (at least according to Wikipedia).

I think The Shi statues are a really nice touch in the Serenity map. In addition to contributing to the aesthetic of the map, they also create natural cover that you can hide behind, as well as being a pedestal that you can stand on. The two Shi nearest the Speed Control Point are my favorite perches. I used to like the top of the fountain, but after I discovered that I could jump onto those statues they quickly became my favorite. I like to just squat there with my PR, watching the map. If Iím fast enough, I can tag someone in either base window.

Of course I make myself a target up there, and an especially easy one for a player like Chronic, who I was fortunate enough to get to play a few matches with during the recent Christmas break. To me, he was, is, and always will be the Zen Master of the Phase Rifle, and the standard by which all others are judged. I know there may be those who would wish to debate that, but please donít do it here. This thread is just for talking about The Imperial Guardian Lions in Serenity.

What are your thoughts about The Shi in Serenity? Do they simply add to the aesthetic of the map, or are they more than that? Do they make the game more challenging? Do they make the game more fun? Would you like to see more cultural references in Conduit 2?

Please share your thoughts about The Shi in Serenity.

Thanks.
---
Even my signature is off-topic!
Conduit2FC(36): 3354-2948-5226, (38): 4814-7986-3261
#2Silent_NexusPosted 3/26/2014 8:57:38 PM
If I remember correctly, you can see similar statues on the level before the Li boss fight.

On the map, I tend to use the statues as cover from fire. I also used them to attack from above by jumping off of them.

And this Chronic guy. He is a most excellent Phase Rifler.
---
"Tag, you're dead."
-Anya Alstreim (Code Geass)
#3CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 3/26/2014 9:00:29 PM
I think the Shi are really an excellent example of the aesthetic improvements Con2 had over Tcon.
Serenity is a bit unique as far as the multiplayer levels are concerned, Its much more present in the single player areas.

Serenity used to be my favorite map, But unfortunately I neglected it too much.
Now I hardly ever play it, and I don't do particularly well there.

I need to play more on precipice, or the same thing will happen there.

Also, I just gotta remind everyone.

Chronic
Chain
Trevor

Team 8.

We would have wasted everyone.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#4xXAISPXxPosted 3/27/2014 12:50:38 PM(edited)
Despite presumably being able to kick my a**, I have always wanted to share a game or two with him.
---
SOTD: "There is no meat that Keet can't beat." -Mike
#5SrChronicPosted 3/30/2014 9:28:09 AM
I humbly accept that title, Signal. If we were to debate who's best, however, it would be between Samu5, Hawkeye, and I. I've never been bested in a PR battle except for maybe those two. Those types of battles are determined by who sees who first.
---
PSN- TheChronic213