Will There be a Conduit 3?

#1CmoIsDaNam3Posted 4/19/2014 12:04:18 PM
This is a video I made going over the states of Conduit 1, conduit 2, and if there will be a Conduit 3 at all, here is the video link to it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15dr2ZfJ2HA

Also, here is the final script for the video, you can read it over if you wish, and if you find spelling errors, please don't talk about it, as i can tell you, you will be able to understand it 100%, thanks.

"As we watch the days go by and time dwindles down for the Nintendo Wii online service, many of us go back and play these games online while we can before they all get chopped off by the legs and shut down. While the more popular games for Nintendo, such as Super Smash Bros and Mario Kart have games coming for the Wii U, there are some games that arenít guaranteed to have them for the newest Nintendo console, and Conduit being one of them. Many fans ponder this and wonder will another Conduit game come out. Some say nay, some say yay, but to even have a chance of knowing the answer, we need to go back and look at the game that started it all: The Conduit. So, letís begin.

Back in 2008, the developers High Voltage Software had announced the production of the first Conduit game on April 17th. It was focused towards the hardcore audience for the Wii, and was designed to have an analogous experience to FPS games on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, and even though the Wii had some limitations of the hardware, even still, they made the game, and it pretty much achieved that goal, and although some may disagree, it did have similar experiences to Xbox 360 and PS3 games. Although lacking in some areas of the other consoles such as voice chat and a party system. It launched in North America on June 23, 2009, July 10, in Europe, and July 16 for Australia.

For the multiplayer side of things, it was awesome for the first few months of the game, many people enjoyed the experience of Conduit, and there were many things to learn about the game. The multiplayer was similar to Halo in plenty of ways, and instead of using weapons that you could of picked for a custom class, you instead had weapon sets, pretty much 5 weapons for you to play around with. One is your primary, secondary, and the other three weapons are in the middle, blue teamís, and the red teams spawn.

An example of this was Near/Far weapon set. In this weapon set, you had the SPAS 12 shotgun and the SCAR assault rifle as your primary and secondary weapon respectively, the Deatomizer MK4, the Strike Rifle, and the TPC Launcher. The weapon sets are chosen at random, but everybody picked one thing that they liked from the sets that were available, and it is selected it by chance. The same was true for the other things, game modes and maps, and like I said, for the first few months, things were balanced fairly well, and people enjoyed the game.
---
Cmo More Often.
Emergence - A Conduit 2 Montage OUT NOW, WATCH HERE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHzVLbkbnQI
#2CmoIsDaNam3(Topic Creator)Posted 4/19/2014 12:04:43 PM
However, there is a saying that all good things must come to an end, and while this is really isnít true on a grand level, this was most definitely true for Conduit 1, as glitches and bugs started to pop up all over the place. The most detrimental of these glitches was the weapon-mix glitch. With this glitch a user could mix two non-chargeable weapons, or chargeable weapons together to get a mixed weapon, for example.

You could mix the USP.45 and the SCAR together, and with a series of button presses near an ammo crate, you would get either a semi automatic SCAR that was normally a three-round burst weapon or, you could get a USP.45 that could fire 3 rounds at a time with a built-in scope. Another example would be combining the very useless Hive Cannon, with the SMAW rocket launcher. You could either get a Hive Cannon that was now completely useless, or a SMAW that was very useful, and overpowered, and when the SMAW was combined with any weapon that could fire multiple shots in a short period of time, the SMAW would be an unstoppable wrecking machine, and this would lead to a few problems that would persist for the rest of the gameís life cycle. For one, due to the lobby system, most people just picked one thing out of the three choices that were available more than half the time. Those were the map Streets, a small CQB map that was very hectic and fast paced. The game mode Marathon, which was a constant 20 min game with unlimited kills and deaths, and the key element of it all, Explosive weapon set,
where most weapons were explosive in some way, including the SMAW and Hive Cannon. While it surely wasn't like this every game, you would be sure that if the SMAW was in there, there was likely someone would glitch with it. Another glitch that popped up was the out-of-the-map glitches.

In several maps, a user could crouch-walk over a spot of the map and fall out of it, then, that user could do a series of button presses to float around the map to get into areas where that user could see you, and shoot you, but you can couldn't shoot them, or see them, it was a very cheap tactic indeed, and heavily abused a lot.

One other bad thing is that there was grenade spam, and lots of it, most people found out that going to refill your ammo not only did that, but it would give you 6 grenades every time, and there was no limit to the amount that you could get every time you went to get 6 more exploding death balls. Plus, it was very obvious that you were going to spam them, because you almost never ran out of ammo, ever. There was so much ammo for a gun it would make the army shake in their boots. However, you almost always were running out of grenades, at least if you spammed like a noob.
---
Cmo More Often.
Emergence - A Conduit 2 Montage OUT NOW, WATCH HERE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHzVLbkbnQI
#3CmoIsDaNam3(Topic Creator)Posted 4/19/2014 12:06:43 PM
First thing and probably the most problematic for most people, especially hardcore players like myself, the SMAW. The SMAW rocket launcher was a problem for a few reasons such as it was too strong and too easy to use. All you really had to do was aim somewhat in their direction and fire a shot off and you would probably get the kill, and when paired with range increasing perks for the rockets of death, made it even worse. Another tactic that was pretty cheap was using the perk reverse damage, this perk allows you to heal your teammates with radiation grenades, but also yourself at a very fast rate, and is considered too strong to counter. If someone was in an area of these grenades, it would be literally impossible to kill them without a one hit kill weapon, or at the very least a Carbonizer MK16. Also like the original Conduit, this game had some out-of-the-map glitches.

While they could be dealt now with the use the Phase Rifle,
a sniper rifle that can see and shoot through walls, it could still be a problem as people could equip a perk to deny the ability of the Phase Rifle, and still be able to glitch to their heart's content.

It was mainly game balancing and some glitches that was the problem for the players of Conduit 2, however though as I kept mentioning most of the players for TCon was not happy on how the second game was in terms of gameplay mechanics.

So this brings up an interesting question in regards to a possible third Conduit game. How should the game function? Should it go back to its roots and be like TCon? Or should it be a game like C2? All in all, itís an on-going debate, as each side to the argument say different things that are both equally valid. One way you might look at this is to figure out an answer is both games popularity.
Unfortunately, for both games there is no way to know an accurate player count as both games do not have ways to show off the number of players at any given time of the day. Although, the sales numbers could work to show this instead.

According to VGChartz, a website that tracks the sales numbers of games, Conduit 2 sold 0.11 million, while the first Conduit sold 0.55 million, thatís roughly for C2 110 thousand copies of compared to 550 thousand copies of TCon, thatís about 80% less than the original game, which might even have you wondering why Conduit 2 is even existing right now with numbers that low. However there is something to be said about these numbers, and that is advertisements. During when Conduit 2 was about to be released, and even during mid way to release, the game had no TV ads, no GameStop ads, and only a few internet ads and word of mouth, which Conduit 1 had all of that, and more in the form of TV ads to. But in any case, its no wonder why the game sold about 80% less than the first one.

This still makes it unclear though about which way the third game should go, because if Conduit 2 is a better game than the original, it is certainly shrouded behind low sales which wouldnít be indicative of a better game. But even if we do find out answer to this debate, will a third game even be happening at all? Thatís the question I think we all should be asking ourselves. So lets look at it, will there be a Conduit 3 at all?
---
Cmo More Often.
#4CmoIsDaNam3(Topic Creator)Posted 4/19/2014 12:07:01 PM
There are several things to look at for this, for one, on September 7, 2012, an employee at High Voltage Software known as HVSBob put out a quick Q&A thread for GameFAQs letting us know how the company was doing, some upgrades they made, and most importantly, an announcement for some Conduit news by the end of the year. Hereís the quote by HVSBob himself: ďAnd we haven't forgotten about Conduit over here, either. I would expect some new Conduit-related news before the year is out.Ē however though some would say otherwise to this because as I said before, this was made in September 7, 2012, and its now April 19th 2014, as of this videoís release date. So whereís the news?

Iím personally not sure with the long hold up, but one can hope its still coming. However, there are some other clues we can use to see if its coming at all. For one, The Conduit HD port for Android devices is one thing that can used to see that the team still cares about the series, otherwise there may of not been a port at all. Also if that game sells well enough, who knows, maybe they might do another console game, we donít know.

One thing is for certain, with HVS being a registered developer for the Wii U and many other platforms, and having only done about one game for the Wii U thus far, it might be soon that they have another special Wii U game coming, and speaking of special games, it could be possible for them to do a port to Wii U, for the eShop instead of a full retail game. Having your games for eShop or just online in general instead of putting them on shelves saves money, mostly due to the fact that you cut out the middle-man like Target, Wal-Mart or GameStop. It also reduces costs by having no physical box and such items. This would make it more practical for HVS to put out a new Conduit game and still be able to keep the series going. However, this is pure speculation, as no official word from High Voltage said they were, or could, going to do this. But, it certainly is still possible as we see a port to the original game for Android devices.

Overall, we really donít know if this series will get another title, and to be fair and honest, it isnít likely at all that another will come down the pipe if you look at sales, overall popularity and the current active player base. As with numbers this small, it just wouldnĎt be worth it to make a new game at the cost of the company, and just like any company, they are for profit, like it or not. However though, it still is a possibility, and only time will tell if another title will come. As far as to the possibilities of the immediate future for the Conduit series, it will either die out due to the Wii shutdown and no future titles, or will live onward for the Wii U. Hopefully the latter will be the case, but even if it isnít so, here is to Conduit 1 & 2, because I know for me this series has meant much to me and other players I know, and I know a lot of them feel the same to for sure, Iím sure you can think of some others in this boat as well.

So what the verdict? Overall, not sure, isnít likely, but still is possible. As we see some hope in a past announcement, a port that is out already, and other options that could be a port to eShop, but even still, its not likely, but, one can hope.

Thank you watching this video, if you wish to watch my other Conduit related videos they are all available for my channel to watch. If you missed my latest montage for the game, you can click here to check to it out, I promise you will enjoy it, especially at the end, its pretty epic, and links are all in the description as well.

So until next time guys, farewell."

Thanks for reading, and hope its not too much. :P

~Cmo
---
Cmo More Often.
#5JVC-spacePosted 4/19/2014 1:16:44 PM
C2 SMAW is too laggy, sometime you just cannot heard the rocket.
#6_SignalPosted 4/19/2014 6:21:24 PM
I haven't watched the video yet, but eShop really seems like a viable option. The game would have to be dirt cheap for the consumer and they would need to be able to produce it for pretty much nothing for this to ever happen.

It was never clear to me who actually owned the rights to the C2 franchise, HVS, Sega or a third party. That could be a potential eShop spoiler.

I don't think HVS has any experience with the WiiU, so learning how the Nintendo network works is another issue.
---
Even my signature is off-topic!
Conduit2FC(36): 3354-2948-5226, (38): 4814-7986-3261
#7xXAISPXxPosted 4/19/2014 8:17:24 PM
Sure, why not?
---
SOTD: I am scraping at the bottom of the barrel for these...
#8like2napPosted 4/20/2014 12:40:50 AM
Didn't read the wall of text....

To answer the question I doubt it and I'm not sure that I want there to be one. I mean the two games are so different in so many ways. It's like the series hasn't settled on an identity. Who knows what craziness the third one would have.

I'd rather see the Grinder or some other FPS. Maybe I want to see the Grinder because we never got to play it and I just want it more for that reason. I don't know. I'd rather see something other than Conduit 3.
#9CmoIsDaNam3(Topic Creator)Posted 4/20/2014 2:53:19 AM
like2nap posted...
Didn't read the wall of text....

To answer the question I doubt it and I'm not sure that I want there to be one. I mean the two games are so different in so many ways. It's like the series hasn't settled on an identity. Who knows what craziness the third one would have.

I'd rather see the Grinder or some other FPS. Maybe I want to see the Grinder because we never got to play it and I just want it more for that reason. I don't know. I'd rather see something other than Conduit 3.

The wall of text is the script I wrote, you don't have to read it, and honestly man, this wasn't a question that I wanted feedback on tbh, it was rather just a video link with some text if you wanted to read it, that's all this was.

Also, I'm surprised you say that, but when you think about, I think HVS wanted a game like C2 in the first place but couldn't do it because of the system they were working with, I remember an e-mail some fan sent about how they wanted the third game to be, and a employee responded with that, so if a C3 was to come, I'd expect an enhanced C2 tbh...
---
Cmo More Often.
#10CmoIsDaNam3(Topic Creator)Posted 4/20/2014 2:54:34 AM
xXAISPXx posted...
Sure, why not?

Did you watch the video? That would explain so things as to why not, not that I want that though. lol
---
Cmo More Often.